Congratulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
But surely they are breaking the law, accepting the bet in the first place. They will have a duty as part of their license to take bets from persons aged 18 or over. If they fail to ask for ID then they have not adhered to their duty, and are liable for prosecution :102:

Bar staff are fined £80 up here if the are found to be selling alcohol to persons under the age of 18. So they thefore make it their duty to comply with the law and ask for ID. The venue also gets a warning, and if they fail more than 'x' amount of times they get shut down for a period of time.

If they are caught taking bets from Under 18s they will be warned,but Jessel won't get his money because he's under 18.You can't ask every Customer if they are over 18,its a fast moving enviroment,races going off every minute.Its not like Pub

So its a busy day and you have to ask every customer who comes in are they over 18?:icon_roll

Having a 'busy day' is a poor excuse.

If they dont pay out Jessel, I would compalin to the Gambling and E-Gaming authorities. (You wont get your money, as officially you are not entitled to it) They have a duty to follow, which they failed to do so, by taking the bet in the first place. If the branch manager is like HF, he will stand in front of the judge and say he was having a 'Busy day' so it was ok to accept the bet :icon_roll

Last edited:
Does he have to get his winnings from the same shop that he placed the bet?

No. But if they already have their doubts, they will have flagged them up on the computer. Also, wins of a set amount may be subject to a telephone call to the original branch before they can be paid elsewhere.

But surely they are breaking the law, accepting the bet in the first place. They will have a duty as part of their license to take bets from persons aged 18 or over. If they fail to ask for ID then they have not adhered to their duty, and are liable for prosecution :102:

Bar staff are fined £80 up here if the are found to be selling alcohol to persons under the age of 18. So they thefore make it their duty to comply with the law and ask for ID. The venue also gets a warning, and if they fail more than 'x' amount of times they get shut down for a period of time.

Yes, they did break the law when they took the bet. And they would say that they regularised the position at the earliest opportunity by declaring the bet void as soon as they realised that the punter was under 18.

What else would you expect them to say?

If they dont pay out Jessel, I would compalin to the Gambling and E-Gaming authorities. They have a duty to follow, which they failed to do so, by taking the bet in the first place. If the branch manager is like HF, he will stand in front of the judge and say he was having a 'Busy day' so it was ok to accept the bet :icon_roll

It won't go that far,its hardly the crime of the Century:icon_roll They will pay him its just because of the Insert in the Safe that he had to wait.So next time you are rushing up last minute and don't get your bet on because the Cashier is asking every customer who looks borderline 18 for ID I trust you will be so understanding:icon_roll

If they dont pay out Jessel, I would compalin to the Gambling and E-Gaming authorities. (You wont get your money, as officially you are not entitled to it) They have a duty to follow, which they failed to do so, by taking the bet in the first place. If the branch manager is like HF, he will stand in front of the judge and say he was having a 'Busy day' so it was ok to accept the bet :icon_roll

That would get Jessel absolutely nowhere. Presumably he (Jessel) knew that he was under 18 - and presumably he know that it was illegal for him to bet. The bookie might even say that he had his doubts about Jessel's age and asked him if he was 18 - and that Jessel confirmed that he was.

It won't go that far,its hardly the crime of the Century:icon_roll They will pay him its just because of the Insert in the Safe that he had to wait.So next time you are rushing up last minute and don't get your bet on because the Cashier is asking every customer who looks borderline 18 for ID I trust you will be so understanding:icon_roll

Yes - but it's much more fun putting the shits up Jessel.

That would get Jessel absolutely nowhere. Presumably he (Jessel) knew that he was under 18 - and presumably he know that it was illegal for him to bet. The bookie might even say that he had his doubts about Jessel's age and asked him if he was 18 - and that Jessel confirmed that he was.

Please read the bit in brackets that you didn;'t highlight.

Jessel 'verbally' confirming he was 18 isn't a valid form of identification, and the cashier would have been well aware of that.

Jessel 'verbally' confirming he was 18 isn't a valid form of identification, and the cashier would have been well aware of that.

It still wouldn't go that far because they served one under age Punter.If they were doing it regular to different customers then it might

When I worked in a bookies I had to run every bet where the stake was £50 or more past the boss who would check the punters ID (if appropriate) etc.

I don't need to read it because I have already read it.

A cashier could have a concern about a person's age and then, having spoken to them, feel happy that they are 18. There is no obligation to ask for "a valid form of identification". The cashier would simply say that he/she had some concerns but no longer had them after speaking to the punter - he/she would say that she had made a genuine mistake. In the absence of other evidence, e.g. evidence that it was a regular occurrence, there would be no case to answer.

I don't need to read it because I have already read it.

A cashier could have a concern about a person's age and then, having spoken to them, feel happy that they are 18. There is no obligation to ask for "a valid form of identification". The cashier would simply say that he/she had some concerns but no longer had them after speaking to the punter - he/she would say that she had made a genuine mistake. In the absence of other evidence, e.g. evidence that it was a regular occurrence, there would be no case to answer.

So your saying: That if they are unsure they have no duty to check a persons age against a valid form of ID ??

So your saying: That if they are unsure they have no duty to check a persons age against a valid form of ID ??

I'm saying what I have already said.

Like I said if there are ten of them and the Race is about to go off are you going to be so pompous when you don't get your bet on and it wins because the Cashier was busy checking Passports ?

Like I said if there are ten of them and the Race is about to go off are you going to be so pompous when you don't get your bet on and it wins because the Cashier was busy checking Passports ?

So the rules are bent to allow more bets to be placed ?

So the rules are bent to allow more bets to be placed ?

They're in it to make money - not to provide a public service. Much the same as Ebay host illegal auctions.

But that is like saying it is 5 to midnight on new years eve and I work in a pub and im not gonna check the id of someone looking under 18 if Im serving just so people can get a drink before 12. Would I really want to run the risk of the 2 grand fine? I don’t think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669