Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orifice

The BBC is notoriously choosy about which scientists they believe for the angle they present to the public.

These days you cannot always believe the BBC to offer honest un-biased reporting, especially on environment issues.

Matt_B

The BBC is notoriously choosy about which scientists they believe for the angle they present to the public.

These days you cannot always believe the BBC to offer honest un-biased reporting, especially on environment issues.
Whereas the government is transparent as hell

OldGit

Presumably this plan is a very cunning one, involving turnips. Somehow the sums don't seem to work. However he can lock me up if he likes - six months of 5 star service in Chequers would suit me fine.

ThaiSweetChilli

We just do not have the Euros this year and we finish the season across all leagues in Europe, lets face it the new model this year by UEFA looked total toss and was a a way of stopping us whinging that we never win a bid for a tournament. The data is showing COVID19 will bounce back in October only the plan is 80% of the population will have some form of immunity by then and we can crack on as normal. The NHS will be able to treat the elderly with a better knowledge of the virus and industry should go on largely unaffected.

Daily Express has reported that Boris Johnson is going to lock down all those over the age of 70 years.

Locking down the most vulnerable definitely makes sense in theory but not sure how that works in practice.

Re the 80% figure, I agree. And it's a good thing as we need to develop some sort of resistance to it. Spanish Flu hit in 1917 but did its major damage in 1918.

This virus is very contagious by all accounts but it's not as bad as the media makes out. They have different agendas, political, financial etc. Why anyone trusts the BBC, Independent, Guardian etc I've no idea.

Do your research and base your decisions on stats and facts not biased media outlets. The BBC is the worst always seemingly impartial but far from it.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Locking down the most vulnerable definitely makes sense in theory
But do the most vulnerable want to be locked down, to be 'saved'? It seems to me that most of the people I meet who are of similar age are quite relaxed about the situation. What will be will be. I don't need anybody to be concerned on my behalf.

Funky Fox

Loc
But do the most vulnerable want to be locked down, to be 'saved'? It seems to me that most of the people i meet who are of similar age are quite relaxed about the situation. What will be will be. I don't need anybody to be concerned on my behalf.
Lockdown in Leicester Care Homes happened yesterday in the time from ringing them at lunch to when I got there in the afternoon.
Not quite the same through the glass window but at least I could see my mum and see she was fine.

popillius

229 Scientists, all experts in their field, all with an abundance of qualifications and years of experience say that we should take more drastic action immediately.

A straw headed buffoon who calls Muslim women letterboxes and who’s only real concern seems to be breaking the world record for the amount of children with different women he can produce says we don’t need to do anything drastic, just wait for the old ones to die, sing the national anthem whilst washing your hands and we’ll be fine.

I really don’t know who to listen to. I am genuinely baffled by anyone who thinks Johnson’s response is acceptable. Pearson is bang on the money.

ThaiSweetChilli

But do the most vulnerable want to be locked down, to be 'saved'? It seems to me that most of the people I meet who are of similar age are quite relaxed about the situation. What will be will be. I don't need anybody to be concerned on my behalf.

Fair enough. For me it's as simple as if you're quite happy to go out and "take the risk" then do so. All those who are vulnerable and/or of a certain age have their choice. But generally speaking it makes sense to urge the aforementioned to stay in. All of the fatalities thus far in the UK have been vulnerable people or over 60s.

I'm all up for doing what you please, in essence. My major worry though, is that by ignoring warnings and doing as you please, you are more likely to share the infection which is then inevitably going to trickle down via-via-via to someone who is vulnerable and/or older who doesn't want to "take the risk." Not an easy fix IMO.

ThaiSweetChilli

229 Scientists, all experts in their field, all with an abundance of qualifications and years of experience say that we should take more drastic action immediately.

A straw headed buffoon who calls Muslim women letterboxes and who’s only real concern seems to be breaking the world record for the amount of children with different women he can produce says we don’t need to do anything drastic, just wait for the old ones to die, sing the national anthem whilst washing your hands and we’ll be fine.

I really don’t know who to listen to. I am genuinely baffled by anyone who thinks Johnson’s response is acceptable. Pearson is bang on the money.

Possibly the wrong thread. Just possibly.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
All of the fatalities thus far in the UK have been vulnerable people or over 60s.
All of the fatalities in the UK have been over 60 AND with an underlying condition. There are plenty of us for whom the risk is not so great.

...by ignoring warnings and doing as you please, you are more likely to share the infection
That's nonsense. There's no increased risk of 'oldies' catching the infection; only of it proving more difficult for them if they have an underlying condition.

That's not to say that I won't be altering anything about my way of life. Long walks with the dogs will still feature because the risk there is very limited; but I will be cutting down on close contact and participation in indoor group activities - I've already done that voluntarily. But I certainly won't be locking myself away for four months.

ThaiSweetChilli

All of the fatalities in the UK have been over 60 AND with an underlying condition. There are plenty of us for whom the risk is not so great.

That's nonsense. There's no increased risk of 'oldies' catching the infection; only of it proving more difficult for them if they have an underlying condition.

That's not to say that I won't be altering anything about my way of life. Long walks with the dogs will still feature because the risk there is very limited; but I will be cutting down on close contact and participation in indoor group activities - I've already done that voluntarily. But I certainly won't be locking myself away for four months.

By the way, I've no idea of your age, but I wouldn't stay in for four months either.

Either way be careful sir!

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Dead lucky none of us know or care about any people over 60, isn’t it?
You won't be surprised to hear that I know plenty of people who are over 60 and care about most of them. But I can assure you that most of them are far more relaxed about their situation than younger people seem to want to believe. I'm going to die sometime; I know that. I hope it's quick and painless when it does come but I will have little control over that. But to some great extent other people will be affected by my eventual death than I will be. Four months in isolation would cause me more pain than death, of that I'm sure.

ThaiSweetChilli

You won't be surprised to hear that I know plenty of people who are over 60 and care about most of them. But I can assure you that most of them are far more relaxed about their situation than younger people seem to want to believe. I'm going to die sometime; I know that. I hope it's quick and painless when it does come but I will have little control over that. But to some great extent other people will be affected by my eventual death than I will be. Four months in isolation would cause me more pain than death, of that I'm sure.

Amen to that. My nan is almost 80 and it's already driving her nuts. The way my aunts are treating her. It's out of consideration for my nan of course but still.

For me it's being over-hyped by the media. Be careful but by no means stop living your life. I think most people will start to think like this soon enough.

Hopefully the panic buying, hysteria and stupidity will be over soon.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
By the way, I've no idea of your age, but I wouldn't stay in for four months either.

Either way be careful sir!
Of course I'm being careful; I wouldn't want anybody to think otherwise. It really is the 4 months inside that is ridiculous for those that don't need it or want it.

sssshhh... 70 in three weeks time.

I do like it when people call me sir... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669