Football (of the American variety) is upon us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see the farce last night? Unbelievable.

I think they could just about get away with the way it had been going, until last night. It was beyond ridiculous and surely even the NFL has to realise how stupid it looks now.

I think they could just about get away with the way it had been going, until last night. It was beyond ridiculous and surely even the NFL has to realise how stupid it looks now.

It's almost getting as bad as the Premier League...almost

It's almost getting as bad as the Premier League...almost

No Willlow, it's much worse. I agree there are controversial decisions in the Premier League, but the NFL is on another level at the moment with the replacement refs.

Excuse me, I don't follow American football, but...

Is it correct that the league don't want to pay peanuts (relatively speaking) for proper referees and prefer just asking anyone in the street (metaphorically speaking) if they want to ref a game or two, thinking that no-one would notice the difference? Isn't that ****ing insane?

Last edited:
Excuse me, I don't follow American football, but...

Is it correct that the league don't want to pay peanuts (relatively speaking) for proper referees and prefer just asking anyone in the street (metaphorically speaking) if they want to ref a game or two, thinking that no-one would notice the difference? Isn't that ****ing insane?

Yes Swede, that's pretty much that's how it is. You would think that the NFL would realise how daft this is, but apparently not.

Deal signed with the Referee Union now. Lockout ends Thursday.

Swede, it is slightly more complicated than that...but yeah, you have the basic thrust of the issue.

Deal signed with the Referee Union now. Lockout ends Thursday.

Swede, it is slightly more complicated than that...but yeah, you have the basic thrust of the issue.

I thought the main sticking point (although I realise there were other issues too) was the withdrawal of some sort of pension plan type thing, is that right? Did the NFL cave or did they just manage to work it out between both sides?

Last edited:
I thought the main sticking point (although I realise there were other issues too) was the withdrawal of some sort of pension plan type thing, is that right? Did the NFL cave or did they just manage to work it out between both sides?

Yes, it was regarding guaranteed pensions. The other point was that the NFL wanted to expand the ref staff, meaning current refs would work less and ergo get paid less.

They pretty much caved.

I felt like this quote was a fair summation of what I witnessed yesterday in the Georgia dome.

Not many teams win there, must be gutting to get so close and lose.

It's an interesting season though, a lot of unexpected results.

GM gone then MA? Not really a surprise that something has happened. I'm sure expectations were a lot higher than a 1-5 record.

Wow. Pittsburgh got a couple of really bad calls made against them on that drive. Are you watching MA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669