Football (of the American variety) is upon us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going back to Jovan Belcher a moment. Without trying to be flippant, when was the last NFL season to pass without the violent death of at least one player in the league?

Just going back to Jovan Belcher a moment. Without trying to be flippant, when was the last NFL season to pass without the violent death of at least one player in the league?

Don't know. But I have got nearly half my death list made up of American sports stars so I get where you're coming from.

Certainly some of the statistics are troubling, especially in regards to suicide and gun-related death.

Some key names to google if you want to explore it a little further:

Rae Carruth
Jamal Lewis
Ray Lewis
Sean Taylor
Junior Seau
James Dungy
Garrett Reid

Not to mention the concussion-related incidents which are quite obviously leading to severe mental challenges among current and former players. A particular unreal story is the one of Barret Robbins. I was presented with some player surveys recently that made me literally shiver. Here are the resulting articles:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...statistics-study-brain-trauma-retired-players

"A startling 70 percent of the players surveyed say they live in fear of losing their minds."

It's an insanely violent game played by "tough guys" and there is an entire swath of fans and pundits that rail against any kind rule changes to ensure player safety.

It's a distinctly American attitude and a distinctly American game. And don't get me wrong, I love it...but I would be extremely fearful if my child took the game up.

Last edited:
Certainly some of the statistics are troubling, especially in regards to suicide and gun-related death.

Some key names to google if you want to explore it a little further:

Rae Carruth
Jamal Lewis
Ray Lewis
Sean Taylor
Junior Seau
James Dungy
Garrett Reid

Not to mention the concussion-related incidents which are quite obviously leading to severe mental challenges among current and former players. A particular unreal story is the one of Barret Robbins. I was presented with some player surveys recently that made me literally shiver. Here are the resulting articles:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...statistics-study-brain-trauma-retired-players

"A startling 70 percent of the players surveyed say they live in fear of losing their minds."

It's an insanely violent game played by "tough guys" and there is an entire swath of fans and pundits that rail against any kind rule changes to ensure player safety.

It's a distinctly American attitude and a distinctly American game. And don't get me wrong, I love it...but I would be extremely fearful if my child took the game up.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure it was someone like Drew Brees who said recently that he wouldn't like his kids to play it.

Some of the stories are very sad. I've always found James Dungy's particularly bad, I guess just cos his dad always seems to come across so well.

Sorry that was meant to have Macky's sarcastic icon attached but I couldn't find it.
He's not as creepy as Tim Tebow or that ultra creepy bastard Mitt Romney*, in fact he appears on the surface to be a nice guy, but when you know there's something off about someone it's hard not to think 'what a sinister ****'.

*It's only just occurred to me that some of the world's most disturbing people are Americans. Odd.

Dungy,I can report, is genuinely one of the nicest fellas in the business and you won't find anyone say a bad word about him.

He's a bit of a God squad type but to each their own.

As for Americans being stranger than other nations...I'd argue some of the stories out of England this year hardly paint us in a much brighter light.

Macky, it was Warner who said that about his children. Now Warner, he is a bit of a weirdo.

Last edited:
Dungy,I can report, is genuinely one of the nicest fellas in the business and you won't find anyone say a bad word about him.

He's a bit of a God squad type but to each their own.
I may be wrong but isn't he part of the anti-gay brigade? I'm sure I read that somewhere. In any case, Christians creep me out so that's probably what it is.
As for Americans being stranger than other nations...I'd argue some of the stories out of England this year hardly paint us in a much brighter light.
That's true. Always thought there was something wrong about Savile but didn't think it'd be that.

I think if you took the religious stuff out of him he'd be ok. I'm sure I've seen some less savoury beliefs of his before somewhere though and for me that negates his 'nice guy' side.

Over here the Christian stuff is just a part of the package you kind of have to accept. They are some way behind Europe on the secular scale.

A very young country established by religious outcasts.

A very young country established by religious outcasts.

Not so. If you're talking about the Pilgrims, they didn't establish the country. The group that did establish the country about 150 years after the Pilgrims landed certainly weren't religious outcasts. They were made up of catholics and various denominations of protestantism, but most were deists or atheists.

Indeed, looks much better and Rivera might have done enough to save his job. New GM heavily rumoured to be all done and dusted too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669