Leicester City set to unveil third members in the consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
What, exactly, gives you that right? Any more than you have the right to know exactly who owns Tesco, your local cinema, the company you buy your petrol from etc.

What an interesting question.
We all know that a football club is a business - as is an art gallery, a museum and a stately home - but it is far more than just a business.

There would be uproar and rightly if someone decided to pull down St Mary de Castro or Leicester Guild Hall. Yet Leicester City is probably more important in terms of peoples personal heritage as are other football clubs. When a cynical owner decided to kill off Wimbledon it was reborn as Wimbledon AFC. The Wimbledon fans did not transfer their allegience to Arsenal or Chelsea.

I feel no loyalty to a supermarket. When I moved to Aylestone I stopped being a Tesco customer and switched to Safeway without any hesitation. I regarded the change from Safeway to Morrisons with total equanimity. On the other hand as someone who normally prides myself on not getting angry I was surprised how furious I was at the club letting Nigel Pearson go.

One way in which football clubs are different from other businesses is that they get on. The players may be opponents though once the match ends they are usually all pals; the fans have sometimes bitter rivalries; but the clubs work together - directors welcome each other, ticket offices have to cooperate. It is rare to hear of bad feeling between clubs rather than managers, players or fans. To put it crudely Leicester City need other teams otherw*s* the matches will be rather dull.

In the 1980s I would have got better value supporting Nottingham Forest than Leicester. I would have seen a wonderful team with players like Trevor Francis and John Robertson. I do not remember masses of Leicester fans defecting. Supermarket customers would have gone for the best value.

A lot of Man U and Liverpool fans have become rightly or wrongly disgusted with the owenership of their club. It would take someone with more courage than I have got to suggest the sensible thing is to switch to Man City or Everton. In business terms it would make sense for the two Bristol teams to merge; same with the two Sheffield teams. The fans of all four clubs would be horrified at the idea.

I grew up as a fan of non-League Worcester City. I had been in Leicester over six months before I went to see Leicester City play and perhaps two years for them to supplant Worcester City. It would have been much more difficult if I had been changing from one big club to another.

My friends few of whom have any interest in football see it as part of my identity: "Your lot did well on Saturday" "I see you have got a new manager" "Looks like your going to be relegated this season." They do not seem to regard Morrison's as part of my identity.

At a meeting in the wake of the sacking of Martin Allen Milan came out with a comment that interested me. Someone mentioned "Martin Allen's team". Milan said
"Excuse me it is not Martin Allen's team. It is not my team. It is your team. Your grandfathers supported Leicester City and your grandchildren will support Leicester City long after I have gone."

No amount of Supermarket reward cards can get loyalty like that.

Looks like my responses have been well and truly covered.

For anyone who thinks City are no different to a brand of Supermarket - why are you still here? If you reckon you can change sides as you change energy suppliers then what possesses you to follow a pile of shit like us?

Looks like my responses have been well and truly covered.

For anyone who thinks City are no different to a brand of Supermarket - why are you still here? If you reckon you can change sides as you change energy suppliers then what possesses you to follow a pile of shit like us?

Maybe I could take my season ticket back eh :102:

Some of us do change football brands.

1,336 posts, and finally DG wades in with a top notch post

Every word a gem - I salute you, sir :038:

Had to happen sometime.........

1,336 posts, and finally DG wades in with a top notch post

Every word a gem - I salute you, sir :038:

that post of his is way more than two lines, I switched off at the word 'art'......

Had to happen sometime.........

Who'd believe it football, jumpers for goal posts, idiots for owners. Football fans will always be victims of owners whilst they don't make rational decisions.

Has anybody given a use for this information yet? I'm still unsure as to why it will make the slightest bit of difference.

Has anybody given a use for this information yet? I'm still unsure as to why it will make the slightest bit of difference.

I love it, just love it, when people argue against even the shitty levels of accountability we currently have.

A lot of Man U and Liverpool fans have become rightly or wrongly disgusted with the owenership of their club. It would take someone with more courage than I have got to suggest the sensible thing is to switch to Man City or Everton.

What a great post David. Sometimes it is worth reading more than two sentences.

My only comment would be about the Manure fans who went on to create and support FC United. IMO what ever happens you support your team/club. If Top and co, go on to send our club into the lower divisions and we suffer financially through poor decisions, I will still support the club and no one else.

Some of you don't care, good for you. Me? I would like to know that we aren't part-owned by gun dealers or murderers or rapists...etc.

so if the money comes from gun dealers etc, you would give up your support?

**** off would you! Thats why it does not matter in the slightest. Did fans of Perugia walk away when Gadaffis son signed for them?

**** off would you! Thats why it does not matter in the slightest. Did fans of Perugia walk away when Gadaffis son signed for them?
I bet some of them were surprised when they were linked with Brigit Prinz and Hanna Ljungberg, or when they cancelled Ahn Jung-Hwan's contract for knocking Italy out of the World Cup, or when their club went out of business in 2005, or when their club went out of business in 2010.

Or when they signed Jay Bothroyd.

Actually, wasn't Gaucci once quoted as saying he intended to sign a horse? Yeah, nothing unusual about that club at all :icon_lol:

I'm trying to work out if there is a level of irony to this post I'm somehow missing but I'm pretty sure you genuinely believe that the background of the owner is irrelevant - to me it isn't.

It's all a bit of a mute point considering that I now work for another club and can not go to fixtures: But had I still got my ST then 'yes', I would give up my support if I disagreed with the background of the third member.

I bet some of them were surprised when they were linked with Brigit Prinz and Hanna Ljungberg, or when they cancelled Ahn Jung-Hwan's contract for knocking Italy out of the World Cup, or when their club went out of business in 2005, or when their club went out of business in 2010.

Or when they signed Jay Bothroyd.

Actually, wasn't Gaucci once quoted as saying he intended to sign a horse? Yeah, nothing unusual about that club at all :icon_lol:

I'd love to know what fans of Perugia have to do with the price of fish?

Just because they may or may not have reacted to circumstances does not dictate how I deal with my set of morals and beliefs.

:102:

The only people who think that football is about the fans are the fans themselves. To everyone else it's about money.

The only people who think that football is about the fans are the fans themselves. To everyone else it's about money.

'think'? You only have to look at the countless fan trusts and supporter groups up and down the country who've dug their club out of the financial shite or created phoenix clubs. There's a long history of this which will further be expanded as football becomes a money turn-off for businesses.

'think'? You only have to look at the countless fan trusts and supporter groups up and down the country who've dug their club out of the financial shite or created phoenix clubs. There's a long history of this which will further be expanded as football becomes a money turn-off for businesses.

The problem with Trust run clubs is that Trusts are inherently risk averse, they work well for smaller clubs with limited ambition but I seriously doubt that a Trust run club will ever make it into the top Division in England. If fans are willing to accept that the club will continue to run but as a lower league club then a Trust is fine.

The top levels of football are now only accessible to clubs that are willing to take big gambles or that already have financial backing (or get seriously lucky like Blackpool)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669