Martin Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. It's almost like we've realised we lacked any motivation under Kelly so now we've decided thats the only factor that matters.

I think that too.

Rightly or wrongly Kelly portrayed a figure with no semblence of inspiration. He also didn't seem to be able to sort out a rag bag of players.

So some of us were calling for someone to kick ass. What do they say " Pray that the Gods don't give you what you want" ? - or something like that. So it appears we are going to get Martin Allen who as Jeff suggests appears to be a natural for lower division players.

Now - we know that are players are actually that standard - but we aspire to better players and better things.

I really do hope that people like me have it all wrong because it's stopping being fun now decrying rubbish performances and we could do with some meaningful games in a positive (not relegation) context.

I wanted Chris Coleman because I think he is different class to the other contenders, but would have settled for Warnock in the short term on the basis that he has the experience and the personality to get us out of the division.

I think that too.

Rightly or wrongly Kelly portrayed a figure with no semblence of inspiration. He also didn't seem to be able to sort out a rag bag of players.

So some of us were calling for someone to kick ass. What do they say " Pray that the Gods don't give you what you want" ? - or something like that. So it appears we are going to get Martin Allen who as Jeff suggests appears to be a natural for lower division players.

Now - we know that are players are actually that standard - but we aspire to better players and better things.

I really do hope that people like me have it all wrong because it's stopping being fun now decrying rubbish performances and we could do with some meaningful games in a positive (not relegation) context.

I wanted Chris Coleman because I think he is different class to the other contenders, but would have settled for Warnock in the short term on the basis that he has the experience and the personality to get us out of the division.

Youve saved me a post there. Bang on.

As long as he brings in the right players who maintain a professional attitude, his motivation skills shouldnt be called upon.

Yes, they work for lower league players, that's excatly what our current side is.

I need co nvincing about this appointment. The words of fans of teams MA has managed worrys me greatly. My only solice is that I doubt Norwich fans had a great deal of good to say about O'Neill

I need co nvincing about this appointment. The words of fans of teams MA has managed worrys me greatly. My only solice is that I doubt Norwich fans had a great deal of good to say about O'Neill

Cheer up you miserable old fecker, that's BG's and Melton's job :icon_lol:

And he certainly does 'bang on'.....

Thanks once again HF- let's just hope that for about the first time, youv'e got something right.

We certainly can't afford another dud like your friend Levein or Kelly (who I feel sorry for in being landed with a job he didn't really want).

This appointment is really critical....although if it doesn't work out I guess we will be saying the same thing about a successor in about 10 months time.

Allen isn't the sort of manager I expected MM to go for, at the time of Kelly's sacking I thought (as many others did) that it would be a bigger name coming here rather than someone from two divisions down. I am not sure who it could have been, but from the names linked I would of liked Coleman and agree with Redditch.

But MA is who we have got and I trust MM has not made his decision lightly, it is now the start of the new era proper and lets hope we can be excited about our club again.

Blue Army!!!

Allen isn't the sort of manager I expected MM to go for, at the time of Kelly's sacking I thought (as many others did) that it would be a bigger name coming here rather than someone from two divisions down. I am not sure who it could have been, but from the names linked I would of liked Coleman and agree with Redditch.

But MA is who we have got and I trust MM has not made his decision lightly, it is now the start of the new era proper and lets hope we can be excited about our club again.

Blue Army!!!

As we have been lacking effort and enthusiasm recently then I am sure MM feels the MA sort of character is exactly what we need. :icon_wink

As we have been lacking effort and enthusiasm recently then I am sure MM feels the MA sort of character is exactly what we need. :icon_wink

Yes - I'm sure that is exactly the case.

Anyway since it's a done deal now - we might as well get on with it.

There will be indications as to how right he is by the time the autumn leaves begin to fall.

I agree Steven, I think we are all sure that MA will shake things up. I just hope he can bring the quality we need too.

You could have your mate back, fancy sponsoring a coach??:icon_wink:icon_lol:

Thanks once again HF- let's just hope that for about the first time, youv'e got something right.

We certainly can't afford another dud like your friend Levein or Kelly (who I feel sorry for in being landed with a job he didn't really want).

This appointment is really critical....although if it doesn't work out I guess we will be saying the same thing about a successor in about 10 months time.

Where did I say that I think Allen is a great appointment,you are asssuming.I don't know enough about him I so I am keeping an open mind.I never ever claim to be right and more often than not I am wrong,I give an opinion if you or others don't agree with it then fine:102:Don't quite understand why you feel sorry for Kelly,I don't remember anyone holding a gun to his head and saying he must take the job.I'm not going to pre judge Martin Allen,he's a young Manager and he's still learning,you and a few others already seem to have him tried and sentenced thats my only concern.
My 'bang on' reference was meant to come across as light hearted,sorry if I offended you

Where did I say that I think Allen is a great appointment,you are asssuming.I don't know enough about him I so I am keeping an open mind.I never ever claim to be right and more often than not I am wrong,I give an opinion if you or others don't agree with it then fine:102:Don't quite understand why you feel sorry for Kelly,I don't remember anyone holding a gun to his head and saying he must take the job.I'm not going to pre judge Martin Allen,he's a young Manager and he's still learning,you and a few others already seem to have him tried and sentenced thats my only concern.
My 'bang on' reference was meant to come across as light hearted,sorry if I offended you

HF - my comments were also meant to be light hearted.....and I regard you as a friendly and worthy adversory on this forum.

I have decided to keep an open mind about Allen too. Certainly, he is saying the right things. As far as I am concerned the shirt has not been worn with any pride for the last three seasons (this includes the relegation season when imo relegation could have been avoided with some concerted effort) so if he can instill some pride then that will be a good start.

As for Kelly - I think the guy knew he wasn't manager material but allowed himself to get confirmed in the position by a board that were glad to adopt the easy and cheap opt out. I am sure that MM - although he hasn't and won't always get things right - is made of sterner stuff and hopefully, things will work out with Allen.....hope so because I intend to attend a few more matches next season than this which I found to be truly appalling.

I'm reasonably happy about this appointment, and I have a feeling it may well pay off, at least in the short to medium term, which is what I'm sure we all want. I always want to see good football, but if I see football without apparent effort being put in ( see last season ), then I really do think I've been short-changed. We are being promised effort at least, and for the moment I'm quite happy to live with that. Plus it's nice to have somebody that actually appears to have a personality and opinions.

Spot on shazza, about sums my feelings up too.

Been waiting for somebody to contribute my feelings because I really couldn't be bothered.

Allen was not my first choice - and possibly not Milan's either, but he gets my support because of Milan's reputation for knowing about football!

I think a key indicator for how he might shape up is not how quickly he brings some players in, but how quickly he throws some dead wood out!

It was interesting to hear him say that it did not matter that the players were on holiday, all the evidence he needed was on DVD as to who to get rid of or give another chance to!

Milan has also said he will support him with backroom staff etc. It will be interesting to see if Milan will allow Allen to buy out contracts such as Douglas or De Vries if he decides to get rid but cannot sell them.

Psycho Trevor from eastenders
allen_martin.jpg

Martin Allen

trevor10701_small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687