Name a big signing that paid off for Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky79

Our history of signing big players is littered with some absolute disasters (or at the worst, terrible dissapointments) that were so called BIG signings.

Success for Leicester has always come from one or two home grown alongside the astute, frugal signings that we didn't know the value of until they'd fit in to the side: Parker, Draper, Franz Carr, Gee and Ormondroyd, Steve Thompson, Steve Agnew, Mark Blake, David Lowe, Iwan Roberts, Lee Philpott, Steve Claridge. MUZZ IZZET

ALL of these players with perhaps the exception of Draper (who was over a million) were signed at knock down prices and helped build a much stronger team rather than a collection of individuals.

That's why i'm more interested in signings like adjarevic, weale, nielsen and n'guessan than any of the better known names i've heard bandied about.
One or two of those kick starting a good career will make the difference in us getting back to success or not.

Last edited:
But at the time a lot of them you mentioned were considerd big signings,I think a few of them may well have been record signings at the time

Last edited:
Matt Elliott

Frank Rolling

Parker, Draper, Franz Carr, Gee and Ormondroyd, Steve Thompson, Steve Agnew, Mark Blake, David Lowe, Iwan Roberts, Lee Philpott, Steve Claridge. MUZZ IZZET

ALL of these players with perhaps the exception of Draper (who was over a million) were signed at knock down prices

Ormondroyd, Philpott and Blake were all record signings at the time of their purchase - as suggested by HF.

I knew Pisspott was,he told everybody so in a Betting Shop I used to work in he was

I wouldn't say he was a big signing. He was little known beforehand, despite being in the latter stages of his career.

He was a big signing for City - we had never previously paid more for a player than the £1.6M we had to pay for him

Allen Clarke

OK, he helped us get to a Cup final - but he also got himself sent off and suspended at an important time of the season; a season which saw us relegated - and then we didn't see him for dust.

OK, he helped us get to a Cup final - but he also got himself sent off and suspended at an important time of the season; a season which saw us relegated - and then we didn't see him for dust.

top scorer that season.......and it was the refs fault he got sent off.

Franz Carr was a success at Leicester...

Come on Sparky, seriously???

How many big name signings have we even made in recent history - I can't think of any. Akinbiyi was a big transfer fee but he was not a big name signing. Tim Flowers had been a big name but was on the slide in terms of his name when we signed him.

As long as I've been a City fan we have never been in the market for big name players and we sure as hell are never going to be with the way football is today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570