Rooney rule in the football league 2016/17 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think these kinds of rules are ridiculous. Unless I'm very much mistaken, there is nothing currently which holds back anyone black or ethnic minority from being interviewed apart from the simple fact that the person is not considered worthy of getting an interview.

It shouldn't matter where one is from or the colour of one's skin, one should get an interview based on one's ability to do well in the job!

I just don't get it. If an employer of a manager is racist and doesn't want to appoint a manager based on their skin colour, how would an interview help this? Surely it would be just a waste of time for both parties.

But then saying that, according to Wikipedia it had quite a decent impact in the NFL...

Last edited:
One thing I never see mentioned, which I think is important, is how many white/black managers are out there looking for managerial jobs? It's widely mentioned how many black managers are in employment (4 out of 72 in the football league...5.5%), but it may well be that only 5.5% of managers looking for employment are black...in which case there would be no issue.

I just don't get it. If an employer of a manager is racist and doesn't want to appoint a manager based on their skin colour, how would an interview help this? Surely it would be just a waste of time for both parties.

But then saying that, according to Wikipedia it had quite a decent impact in the NFL...

If I'm ever forced to interview someone I don't want to employ then I don't employ them. I can't see this being brought in as anything more than a complete waste of time.

Bit of a piss take really.

Will be nice for a black manager turning up to an interview thinking he's possibly just making up some stupid quota.

Well, I didn't even get a reply from the club when I applied for Paulo Sousa's job, so they're clearly racist against white lads as well

Bit of a piss take really.

Will be nice for a black manager turning up to an interview thinking he's possibly just making up some stupid quota.

It might have the opposite effect of the original intention, he won't apply for the exact reason you mention.

It appears to have worked in the US, has anyone actually got any reasonable objection to giving it a try here?

As long as it means that Paul Ince goes right to the top of our list for the next manager, I'll be a happy man

It appears to have worked in the US, has anyone actually got any reasonable objection to giving it a try here?

Yes, selecting someone to interview based on their race seems a bit racist to me.

The Rooney Rule is noble in spirit and has coincided with an increase in minority hires. There are some that say this is in large part because of the rule and others who say it's not.

It's far from perfect and every year some poor fella gets about 20 interviews to fill a quota. However, this does raise the visibility of this individual and also helps him hone his interview style.

It has done more good than harm.

From Bleacher Report:

. Since the Rooney Rule was implemented in 2003, 17 teams have had either an African-American or Latino head coach or general manager. Three teams—the Chiefs, Colts and Raiders—have had more than one head coach of color. This progress probably would not have happened without the forcible nudge of the rule, because in the 80 years of the NFL's existence before it, just seven head coaches of color were hired.

Last edited:
That's a massive oversimplification.

A massive over simplification indeed.

The problem is this: Close you eyes and think of a good football manager.

You just thought of a white man didn't you.

That's not because you're racist or sexist. It's because practically every manager you've seen through your life has been a white man.

Now imagine you're on the board of a football club and have been asked to help recruit a new manager.

You know what you're looking for: an eye for the transfer market, a keen motivator, a wily tactician, and the ability to coach your players to get the most out of their potential. And all the people you've seen fit that bill are white men. You're not racist or sexist, and neither are the other people in the same position at other football clubs, but because all you've ever seen is white male managers there is a subconscious block there which will make it harder for others to show that they have the qualities you are looking for.

The Rooney rule works because it does not confront you with the subconscious prejudices that are built up by anybody living in any kind of society. It just puts somebody who you're not used to seeing in a position to pleasantly surprise you. It's had a dramatic effect in the US, to the point where it soon won't be necessary because recruiters have seen non-white people do the job and do it well.

It will only work though if it is enforced not just for management roles, but for the coaching roles below that. That is where people learn the skills that will make them a success as managers once they finally get the opportunity. Just the opportunity to show what they can do.

And of course, the real elephant in the room is the near-complete absence of women in the coaching side of the game despite the numbers taking coaching badges

A massive over simplification indeed.

The problem is this: Close you eyes and think of a good football manager.

You just thought of a white man didn't you.

That's not because you're racist or sexist. It's because practically every manager you've seen through your life has been a white man.

Now imagine you're on the board of a football club and have been asked to help recruit a new manager.

You know what you're looking for: an eye for the transfer market, a keen motivator, a wily tactician, and the ability to coach your players to get the most out of their potential. And all the people you've seen fit that bill are white men. You're not racist or sexist, and neither are the other people in the same position at other football clubs, but because all you've ever seen is white male managers there is a subconscious block there which will make it harder for others to show that they have the qualities you are looking for.

The Rooney rule works because it does not confront you with the subconscious prejudices that are built up by anybody living in any kind of society. It just puts somebody who you're not used to seeing in a position to pleasantly surprise you. It's had a dramatic effect in the US, to the point where it soon won't be necessary because recruiters have seen non-white people do the job and do it well.

It will only work though if it is enforced not just for management roles, but for the coaching roles below that. That is where people learn the skills that will make them a success as managers once they finally get the opportunity. Just the opportunity to show what they can do.

Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670