Scarborough's Rate and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen that Tinker Tanker Honker Wanker film? Thinking about going tomorrow as it's £3.50 at Odeon on Tuesdays (at least where I live).

Empire, sorry.

Last edited:
I felt about 27yrs too old for Sucker Punch. 'Fit as' and lovely comicbook scenes and everything...but... The plot was wafer thin and the characters more one-dimensional than the Top 10 graphic novel I took to reading afterwards.

Cage does one kind of film and one kind of film role well - and it involves him not smiling, being around flames and having a hint of Hell about the place. Some of the one-liners in Drive Angry were outstanding and left me wondering why it'd been panned so much on the IMDB reviews. It's a film for people struggling with their concentration spans: I liked this flick a lot, it kept me awake.

The morphine had kicked in by Tron Legacy - I was bored senseless by it and the entire thing struck me as being pointless. But then so did existence; I went to sleep.

Two films I have watched in the last few days:

The Town - 8/10 - Ben Affleck falls for one of his victims (Rebecca Hall) in a bank robbery in a gang-based plot in Charlestown. Ben Affleck directs it as well and, in my opinion, does an excellent job. Decent storyline, authentically acted, a very enjoyable two and a bit hours.

Assault on Precinct 13 - 5/10 - Just very 'meh'. Ethan Hawke and Laurence Fishburne. Action thriller, nothing particularly clever or intricate about it. Passed some time and held my attention for 90 minutes - nothing more than that.

What's the soundtrack like?

The music in the original version was way ahead of its time and was nicked by people like Afrika Bambaataa.

It's shit. The whole thing is shit. It was so shit I had to watch the original all over again to remind myself how shit this version is. It's shit.

What's the soundtrack like?

The music in the original version was way ahead of its time and was nicked by people like Afrika Bambaataa.

It's shit. The whole thing is shit. It was so shit I had to watch the original all over again to remind myself how shit this version is. It's shit.

What he said, although with slightly less venom. There was very little soundtrack to speak of, or maybe my attention was just waining. I have never seen the original - is it worth it?

What he said, although with slightly less venom. There was very little soundtrack to speak of, or maybe my attention was just waining. I have never seen the original - is it worth it?

It was 12:01 and I'd been using alternative forms of pain relief :)

Attack the Block. It all looked so promising, Joe Cornish directing, producers from Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz, Nick Frost starring. Turns out its a steaming pile of shite, piss poor dialogue, few/if any funny moments and instantly unlikable central characters. Nick Frost is in it for two nanoseconds the rest of the acting is pretty poor. It was painted to be the next Shaun if the Dead but it turns out to be an hour and a half of twattish inner city estate kids posing with weapons and saying 'blud' calling each other 'fam'.

2/10, extra mark, as seeing a few of the gang get mauled to death was mildly entertaining. Hopefully Cornish will just stick to the Adam and Joe show.

Attack the Block. It all looked so promising, Joe Cornish directing, producers from Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz, Nick Frost starring. Turns out its a steaming pile of shite, piss poor dialogue, few/if any funny moments and instantly unlikable central characters. Nick Frost is in it for two nanoseconds the rest of the acting is pretty poor. It was painted to be the next Shaun if the Dead but it turns out to be an hour and a half of twattish inner city estate kids posing with weapons and saying 'blud' calling each other 'fam'.

2/10, extra mark, as seeing a few of the gang get mauled to death was mildly entertaining. Hopefully Cornish will just stick to the Adam and Joe show.

I thought I was the only one who hated this film, I had to turn it off as the way the kids were talking was really pissing me off and it just distracts from whats happening in the film! So much promise but such a let down.

Funnily enough, a chap I work with does am-dram, he loved the film, thought it was the best film of 2010, but then he thinks Cathy Burke is a good actress!....

I thought I was the only one who hated this film, I had to turn it off as the way the kids were talking was really pissing me off and it just distracts from whats happening in the film! So much promise but such a let down.

Funnily enough, a chap I work with does am-dram, he loved the film, thought it was the best film of 2010, but then he thinks Cathy Burke is a good actress!....

I looked for some reviews after watching it, most of them praised the kids' acting and the searingly honest look at life for a youngster in such an environment. I think people are kidding themselves really, the jokes were lazy and have been done countless times before. it was like watching Kidulthood but with some shit aliens.

Last edited:
Chalet Girls, cheesy, corny, clicheed film, you can predict what's going to happen.
Who cares? 7/10, I enjoyed it :)

Seen a few flicks recently.

Friends with benefits - My view =dullarse and Mila Kunis dissapointingly didn't get her baps out. Passes as a reasonable romcom for the JT brigade. 5/10

Drive - Stylish, strange and a little bit boring. Great car chase scenes interspersed with acts of brutality. Good soundtrack. Interesting cameos. I just found the plot a bit odd.
6.5/10

Midnight in Paris - Not being a huge Woody Allen fan, this to me was however witty and entertaining. Owen Wilson assumes his usual amusing self. Worth a peek.
7/10

The Debt.

Helen Mirren plays ex-Mossad agent in a confusing espionage thriller. The plot was simple enough, memories relived of some dark doctor known as "The Surgeon of Birkenau" for his twisted wartime medical experiments, being alive and working in 1960's East Berlin. Success would be to go to Eastern Berlin abduct him and take him back via The West to trial in Israel. Easy enough but the flipping from past to present made me a little unsure who was who. Mirren's youngerself played by Jessica Chastain is easy on the eye. The male agents took me a while to work out who was being represented in the past.

All in all a fairly entertaining film with interesting subject matter. If a little boring with regards to the love triangle bit.

I can't give this anymore than 6 out of 10 though.

I wasn't aware that a 2007 Israeli version was made using the same screenplay. I tend to prefer watching foreign films even if they arn't much better than the Holywood version.

The Conspirator: - Following the assassination of Lincoln, the trial follows of the landlady that had the assassins staying at her lodgings prior to the event.
How much is based on the true story, I don't know, but it's a good film, 8/10.

Rango - 10/10 - Quality humour, a bit like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for a PG audience, though the joke had an adult bent. Depp is brilliant even as a lizard.

Finally got around to watching City Of God - 8/10th from me. Very interesting and well told strut, but didn't have that something extra that makes me want to watch it again to delve deeper like Slumdog Millionaire

Finally got around to watching City Of God - 8/10th from me. Very interesting and well told strut, but didn't have that something extra that makes me want to watch it again to delve deeper like Slumdog Millionaire

did you watch the extras, great little documentary on there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670