Sol Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bollocks IMO, it doesn't matter how much you are on or what your job, nobody should be subject to racial, homophobic or otherwise abuse.

I fail to see how what these fans are doing is any different to what Jonathan Woodgate did when he beat up the asian kid, if this was one or two people verbally abusing him in the street people would be saying it was out of order, but because 2000 are doing it within the confines of a football stadium apparantly it suddenly becomes OK?

Why is mental abuse any less "bad" than physical? If I mentally abuse my partner, reduce her confidence and generally treat her like shit mentally, does that make me better than a guy who beats his partner?

there's a saying about keeping them keen.....

I still can't see which part of the two chants is racist or homophobic, unless there was others that someone can mention to stop my confusion

I still can't see which part of the two chants is racist or homophobic

Hanging from a tree, a lynching reference, could be said to be racist. As to the homophobia, what would 'taking it up the crack' mean to you as a male?

Hanging from a tree, a lynching reference, could be said to be racist. As to the homophobia, what would 'taking it up the crack' mean to you as a male?

point number 1 - could be said to be racist, could be said to be a reference to him being a bit mad and perhaps suicidal as far as Spurs fans are concerned.

point number 2 - my woman informs me from her stupid woman magazines that men in general are fans of anal pleasure, though not necessarily bent. what it means to me as a male is cringing at the thought of something going the wrong way in there

my woman informs me from her stupid woman magazines that men in general are fans of anal pleasure

If I didn't already have one that I was satisfied with I'd use that as a sig.

If I didn't already have one that I was satisfied with I'd use that as a sig.

haha, feck knows why they read shite like that.....

perhaps I should correct my original point about the context of the chants, my point is that there is no part that can't be easily argued as being neither homophobic or racist - even though I suspect it was probably meant in that context

As to the homophobia, what would 'taking it up the crack' mean to you as a male?

If it's really a world where everyone is equal, why should being called gay be considered to be offensive?
It might not be the truth, but that doesn't make it offensive.

If he was being called white would there be such a fuss about it?
If he was being called a woman would there be such a fuss about it?

Surely the only people who would be offended by being called gay are homophobes. So maybe Sol is the one who has a problem with gays.

If it's really a world where everyone is equal.....

It isn't though, is it.

As George Orwell once said, all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

big black puff end of,i have black friends before anyone calls me a racist.i also know a few big white puffs to balance it out.no racism here.

I fail to see how what these fans are doing is any different to what Jonathan Woodgate did when he beat up the asian kid
Do you consider yourself to be perfectly sane? Or some kind of lunatic?

Christ, I've stumbled on a deep and serious thread for a footie forum. I dont like it, I'm going to go and poke fun at Leeds fans for a bit

big black puff end of,i have black friends before anyone calls me a racist.i also know a few big white puffs to balance it out.no racism here.

Thats what racists say to get themselves off the hook.

Do you consider yourself to be perfectly sane? Or some kind of lunatic?

OK after my drunken anger last night I can see that they are different in the obvious sense, what I meant was that all types of abuse are bad and should not be condoned just because he is a footballer. No excuses though, of course they are different.

I can't see what the problem is. Footballers and people in the general limelight have always been subject to this. Either live with it or **** off.

I would take all the abuse people could throw at me for his pay packet each week.

Bollocks IMO, it doesn't matter how much you are on or what your job, nobody should be subject to racial, homophobic or otherwise abuse.

I fail to see how what these fans are doing is any different to what Jonathan Woodgate did when he beat up the asian kid, if this was one or two people verbally abusing him in the street people would be saying it was out of order, but because 2000 are doing it within the confines of a football stadium apparantly it suddenly becomes OK?

Simply it is not abuse. A form of words in themselves cannot be abuse and only become so if the intention of the person saying the words is to abuse. If the Law says otherwise it is an ass.

What is said in fitz's post is more spleen venting and bile. To me abuse is systematic and what happened at Pompey, whilst not desirable, was not systematic. :icon_conf

OK after my drunken anger last night I can see that they are different in the obvious sense, what I meant was that all types of abuse are bad and should not be condoned just because he is a footballer. No excuses though, of course they are different.
Woodgate beat somebody up, that's it. As far as I'm aware, only the media, lunatic football fans, idiots and the family of the victim have said it was racist, I don't believe the authorities did, but I'm not certain. The family of the victim are not stupid, nor were their legal reps, they were probably very well aware of their best strategy in court.

You could argue that the racist folk are the ones that feel they need to point out that Woodgate's victim was Asian. So in effect Campbell could have suffered a greater abuse.

I have no idea what Sol Cambell has "suffered" and the fact that I've read this thread and still not found out the answer, kind of leads me to guess nobody on here knows otherwise they'd have spilled their guts to tell us.

You are correct that nobody needs to suffer abuse, but fact of the matter is that kids and adults all over the world suffer abuse and bullying each and every day. They don't have multi million pound lawyers or employers behind them pointing out that it's not nice, and they don't have privileged lifestyle to crawl back in to for escape, they just deal with it, and it most cases, be stronger for it. I know this is my particular story.

Sometimes, a fully grown man must take shit on the chin and deal with it himself.

But as I said, I've no idea what Campbell has "suffered" and I am not in the best position to judge.

Peter Crouch gets abuse from opposing fans in every game he plays in. "Freeeeak" is shouted at him when he gets the ball. Our morons were also guilty of this when he scored two when Villa destroyed us.

But he aint black and he aint gay, therefore he doesn't have a voice. He has to deal with this in every game.

Peter Crouch gets abuse from opposing fans in every game he plays in. "Freeeeak" is shouted at him when he gets the ball. Our morons were also guilty of this when he scored two when Villa destroyed us.

But he aint black and he aint gay, therefore he doesn't have a voice. He has to deal with this in every game.

Indeed ,played well for Portsmouth in their match the other night :icon_wink

good points about players taking abuse.
dowie, crouch, chadwick etc get/got enormous amounts of shit every game for being ugly or different looking. and everyone chuckles on match of the day.
jason lee got stick for having a pineapple on his head and it made a national comedy footy programme.
beckham had to listen to fans saying his wife liked it up the arse.
these are all deemed legitimate banter to try and annoy another teams players as you get away with saying exactly the same thing jokily to mates in the pub

however, problems that have deeper social implications like racial or sexual discrimination aren't funny. In and of itself being either gay or black/white is not 'funny' and so has no place in banter. Saying 'you ugly bastard' to a mate you are winding up in the pub can be considered funny saying 'you black bastard' is not. It's irrelevant to anything.

That's why Campbell and anyone else who gets that sort of shit should throw the f*cking book at the teams/crowds who are responsible.

Leicester fans aren't immune to this sort of stuff either. I seem to remember moaning on here about the watford game when leicester fans (cleverly) chanted about Al Bangura coming over under a lorry and crying when he didn't get a passport. Anyone who joined in with that one is no better than the Tottenham fans.

i know what your saying ...............but all ex players get shit when they play the club they left .

Rubbish. Frank Sinclair got a glorious welcome last week and was nice to us in return :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566