Post Match Stoke 2 Leicester 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both feet pretty much on the ground, no studs showing, got to the ball first, it was a follow through which was a result of his forward momentum that made him contact Diouf, a yellow, yes, a red? I think was very harsh.

He has two feet though. One left, one right. Hes guilty as sin. He should have left his left foot on the half way line and slid with only the right as any polite challenger would. Or he could have sat down and stuck one foot out, not a full leg though as someone might trip on it.

I thought you weren't going to say anymore?:p
Ha ha, it's a choice between spending time on here, or watching the final of Strictly with my wife and daughters, though.

I will genuinely leave it there though, the Las Vegas Bowl is calling me :D

He should of just backed out so that we could all call him a lazy **** who doesn't try since his £100k a week blah blah...

Whether it really was a sending off in slow motion from several angles doesn't really matter. Seen them given, can see why this one was too. I don't agree, but there you go.

Definite red card in this day and age. I understand the frustration with consistency, but players should be aware that those tackles 'should' result in a red card.

The Rojo decision was the wrong one, not today's.

I think Vardy's challenge warranted a red card. That is one issue.

I think Rojo's also warranted a red card. That is a separate incident, though. The consistency issue (or lack of), is where I agree with you.

:102:
Somewhere in the great beyond, George Best, who spent his footballing life at perpetual risk of being scythed down by seriously dangerous "defenders", must be laughing his head off at the idea that Vardy's challenge warranted a red card

No pen, says Danny Murphy

Absolutely spot on

Never in a squillion years

Just seen the penalty incident on MOTD.

For a penalty, does the ref have to be 100% certain that it IS an offence has been committed and for a hand-ball to be given, does it have to be 'intentional'?

Just a thought, if this above is correct, this would seem to show that the ref today doesn't actually know the laws of the game.

Both feet pretty much on the ground, no studs showing, got to the ball first, it was a follow through which was a result of his forward momentum that made him contact Diouf, a yellow, yes, a red? I think was very harsh.
Both feet pretty much on the ground == both feet actually off the ground

This has been a red card offence since before Jamie pulled on a bib for the Wednesday age group teams. I'd send off any of the Sunday league pub players I dealt with in my team for that.

Maybe Vardy could have got away with a yellow as he was off balance. I was angered that Diouf went down like he'd lost a limb when contact was minimal. PPF mentioned when he was playing football if someone went in like that there would be a bunch of guys ready to have words. Tackles like that used to happen a lot in the grade of football I played, and very few punches were thrown. Had Diouf got up and Vardy apologised it would have been a yellow.

With Simpson's pen, you can't have your hands up and get hit and expect the ref to wave it away. The ball to hand rules never truly applies.

Great goal by Amartey. That was a little bit of Leicester of old. Could have been Elliot or Walsh or a Roberts on the end of that.

Fantastic second half performance.

Unfortunately any appeal against Vardy's red card is futile.

Referee should be suspended for his blatant inconsistency - won't happen though.

and for a hand-ball to be given, does it have to be 'intentional'

Seemingly not, but I don't know the laws. There's talk of 'unnatural position' too - which has to be highly subjective and therefore bound to lead to inconsistency.

Something I like to consider is whether the handball denies the opposing team possession/advantage/a goal scoring opportunity. I'd have to watch again but from memory Simpson's handball arguably did as the ball would have otherwise headed across the Leicester goal.

This game proved some really important things.

Firstly, the importance of Schmeichel to the team. His presence and attitude just lifted everyone. He made decent saves but it was the little things. His vocals with team mates, dragging his manager away from the ref at half time in a 'he's not worth it boss' way, him demanding players do their jobs in the area and him looking to start moves quickly as soon as he got the ball. Sometimes you don't know what you've got until you're without it for a while.

Secondly, the passion shown by the fans. They were louder than I've heard them at an away game this season. They also had an edge to them. They willed the team on but they also got at the Stoke fans, the officials and anyone else that put a foot wrong. In short, they stood up for their club and the link between fans and players properly returned. Players and fans celebrating together at the end was important for both.

Thirdly, there was some real aggression from the players for a change. We've been too complacent and have lost games these season far too easily. This is the first time this season when we've really grafted for something as a group and kicked opponents a bit. About time.

Fourthly, Ranieri had a real edge to him during and after the game. He was seriously pissed off, more so than I've ever seen him. It shows he's not lost his desire and he was releasing some seriously pent up frustration with what's been happening this season. It will be good that his players saw this.

Fifthly, I'll single out one player that is inconsistent but impressing me more and more. Amartey not only stuck his head in for the equaliser but he worked his socks off all match. He carried the midfield to be honest and he did it without being silly or losing his head. In a year or so, he could be a top player.

Finally, what has been lacking this season is the feeling that we've got something to prove. Something to achieve outside of the Champions League sideshow. Yesterday ignited them all and this will fuel them now. I was genuinely worried about us before yesterday. One late draw and now, all of a sudden, I'm not worried at all.

This game proved some really important things.

Firstly, the importance of Schmeichel to the team. His presence and attitude just lifted everyone. He made decent saves but it was the little things. His vocals with team mates, dragging his manager away from the ref at half time in a 'he's not worth it boss' way, him demanding players do their jobs in the area and him looking to start moves quickly as soon as he got the ball. Sometimes you don't know what you've got until you're without it for a while.

Secondly, the passion shown by the fans. They were louder than I've heard them at an away game this season. They also had an edge to them. They willed the team on but they also got at the Stoke fans, the officials and anyone else that put a foot wrong. In short, they stood up for their club and the link between fans and players properly returned. Players and fans celebrating together at the end was important for both.

Thirdly, there was some real aggression from the players for a change. We've been too complacent and have lost games these season far too easily. This is the first time this season when we've really grafted for something as a group and kicked opponents a bit. About time.

Fourthly, Ranieri had a real edge to him during and after the game. He was seriously pissed off, more so than I've ever seen him. It shows he's not lost his desire and he was releasing some seriously pent up frustration with what's been happening this season. It will be good that his players saw this.

Fifthly, I'll single out one player that is inconsistent but impressing me more and more. Amartey not only stuck his head in for the equaliser but he worked his socks off all match. He carried the midfield to be honest and he did it without being silly or losing his head. In a year or so, he could be a top player.

Finally, what has been lacking this season is the feeling that we've got something to prove. Something to achieve outside of the Champions League sideshow. Yesterday ignited them all and this will fuel them now. I was genuinely worried about us before yesterday. One late draw and now, all of a sudden, I'm not worried at all.
One of the main things that stood out to me, when Ranieri spoke after the game, was when he talked about confronting the referee at half time. He downplayed it a bit, but said he wanted the players to know he was with them, that he had their back. I think the players will have taken a lot from that.

I was genuinely worried about us before yesterday. One late draw and now, all of a sudden, I'm not worried at all.

Ditto...ish.

I too was worried. We were spineless and lost. The team of last season nowhere to be seen. Man City was a massive confidence boost but gifted to us. Bournemouth was, I thought, a more solid sign of our improvement. We took that into yesterday and we were looking good until the sending off and our partial implosion.

The Leicester of 3 weeks ago may well have folded but spurred on by anger and a sense of injustice, they got it together and battled. It was a joy to see. Leicester were back... maybe...

For me, for now, I'm reserving judgement. I want to see the same attitude (not necessarily the agression though) carried into the next game or two. I'm confident it will happen but not yet certain.

And, I agree, Kasper was immense yesterday. And Amartey gets better and better.

I am everything you have ever wanted and I have a great physique?

That was a private conversation between the 2 of us Micky.

This match also showed us we are best when we attack other teams. Sitting back is never going to win a game for us. Go for their throats and if we concede one keep attacking.

The more I watch it, the less I think Vardy deserved a red card.

Johnson has put his arm under Vardy's armpit and tried to lever him out of the way, almost flipping him over.

At that speed, with Vardy leaning back against him, it's inevitable that as soon as Johnson stopped the pressure, Jamie would lose his balance.

The first words he said to the ref were not that he got the ball but that he was pushed over.

I think we will appeal on those grounds.

I reckon there's a good chance that the club will appeal. No reason not to as, given the amount of discussion about the decision, it could hardly be classed as an abuse of the system to appeal it. I also feel there is a case to be made. I can't see the suspension being lifted though. I can see the reasoning behind the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669