Sunderland - Saturday 16th September 2006 - Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do need an overnight pass. In fact you would need two overnight passes - the first train from Fort William doesn't get you to Edinburgh until after 12:30 so you wouldn't stand a chance of making kick-off off the Saturday morning train, and the last train back to Fort William leaves Glasgow soon after 6; no chance of catching that.

Looks like you're going to miss the game.
:icon_sad:

I'd get the first Coach from Glencoe which gets you to Glasgow for 10.45am,should make it to Sunderland for kick off...I won't be there though

Last edited:
You do need an overnight pass. In fact you would need two overnight passes - the first train from Fort William doesn't get you to Edinburgh until after 12:30 so you wouldn't stand a chance of making kick-off off the Saturday morning train, and the last train back to Fort William leaves Glasgow soon after 6; no chance of catching that.

Shoddy work Boc. If he gets the bus from Fort William to Glasgow, he should be able to get to Newcastle by around 2.35, then get a taxi to the ground, and just make kick-off. Still couldn't get back that night though!

Is there engineering work in the North East on that day that could affect trains for Leicester fans?
The National Rail planner is saying HF would get a Virgin train from Glasgow to Carlisle, then GNER from Carlisle to Newcastle. Didn't realise GNER went to Carlisle, is this due to a diversion or is the planner wrong?

Shoddy work Boc. If he gets the bus from Fort William to Glasgow ...

Mea Culpa - I tend to forget the bus/coach option even though I have travelled on Megabus to the game from time to time.

Is there engineering work in the North East on that day that could affect trains for Leicester fans?
The National Rail planner is saying HF would get a Virgin train from Glasgow to Carlisle, then GNER from Carlisle to Newcastle. Didn't realise GNER went to Carlisle, is this due to a diversion or is the planner wrong?

Newcastle to Edinburgh is closed - train via Carlisle or replacement bus service that day. All electric trains from London will be terminating at Newcastle and the service vis Carlisle will be all HST. No GNER trains to Motherwell or Glasgow. No Virgin Cross-Country trains north of Newcastle; Virgin passengers to be carried by GNER/Scotrail north of Newcastle.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_bulletins/3571279f0a04000401d61106f43ad653.html

Well spotted - this should not affect Leicester fans who are ttravelling from the south.

Last edited:
Trains
The Saver Return costs a massive £78.50, although it possible (at this moment) to book ahead and pay only(?) £52.50 for GNER Advance tickets.

An alternative route that can save a bit is to get a single from Leicester to Derby (£7.20), then an advance fare of £16.50 Derby to Sunderland, then £19.50 Sunderland to Leicester.

Total £43.20

If you're planning to go to the match by train from Hinckley you can do it for £39, but you have to go via Birmingham and leave at around 7AM.

An alternative route that can save a bit is to get a single from Leicester to Derby (£7.20), then an advance fare of £16.50 Derby to Sunderland, then £19.50 Sunderland to Leicester.

Total £43.20

If you're planning to go to the match by train from Hinckley you can do it for £39, but you have to go via Birmingham and leave at around 7AM.

Whats the return journey like on that?

Us London Brancher's, due to our Travel Officer being on the ball, have got return tickets from London KingsX to Newcastle for £20 each. Bargain, more beer money for me!

Metro from the ground to Newcastle.

Train from Newcastle to Peterborough depart at 17:55, arrive 20:13
Peterborough to Leicester, depart 20:40, arrive Nuneaton at 22:00
Nuneaton to Hinckley, depart 22:36, arrive 22:43

It's two single tickets, £19.50 each way.

I see. think I'll stick with a night in the Bay.

Total £43.20

That £16.50 ticket is a Virgin Value fare - and the same VV fare applies from Leicester, so you should not need to buy the Leicester to Derby single. I have been trying to 'force' that fare online, but I can't get it. It should be available from the ticket office if you can find a patient ticket clerk though - all he has to find is availablilty from Derby to Newcastle - the legs from Leicester and to Sunderland can be made by any suitable connecting train.

That would bring the fare down to £36 - the same as the fare that can be bought on line for the 01:02 departure from Leicester with a 4 hour wait in Derby.

Last edited:
What makes you say that?
We went a few years back, after a Sunderland game funnily. It was full of leery blokes and boozed up tarts. I have to say though, we did laugh when one of the lads we were with was being verbally ripped to pieces by some tarts, one of whom was claiming she'd turned him down the night before or something. When we went to leave the pub, he walked over to her, pulled some knickers out of his pocket and threw them in her face saying "you can have those back". Her reaction was a classic!

I think you had to be there to appreciate it though.

We went a few years back, after a Sunderland game funnily. It was full of leery blokes and boozed up tarts. I have to say though, we did laugh when one of the lads we were with was being verbally ripped to pieces by some tarts, one of whom was claiming she'd turned him down the night before or something. When we went to leave the pub, he walked over to her, pulled some knickers out of his pocket and threw them in her face saying "you can have those back". Her reaction was a classic!

I think you had to be there to appreciate it though.

you have described the only reason for going there. skanky whores!

As for travel this one will cost me bugger all :D tyne and wear travel ticket leaving at 9, should be in sunderland for 11am. which pub are people going to? whetherspoons and Yates' in town are only decent ones i can think of, theres a better one just up on newcastle road (where mrs fitz resides) but aparently its quite full of home fans

If you think the birds in Whitley Bay are rough, pay a visit to South Shields whilst you are there

Last edited:

As for travel this one will cost me bugger all :D tyne and wear travel ticket leaving at 9, should be in sunderland for 11am. which pub are people going to? whetherspoons and Yates' in town are only decent ones i can think of, theres a better one just up on newcastle road (where mrs fitz resides) but aparently its quite full of home fans

Us London Brancher's went to a great pub on the river last time ( opposite bank to the stadium ), and I assume we'll be going there this year. I'll find out the name and location of the pub at the WBA game and post it on here.

Last edited:

Two hours to get from Gateshead to Sunderland? Webbo could manage it on his hands and knees in that time!!

Last time we went to Sunderland, the London Branch decided to quench their thirsts in Newcastle and then take the Metro down to the station right near the ground. The time before that, I was in the William(?) Jameson on the same road as the station but a little in the opposite direction from the ground - I think that was a Wetherspoons.

Two hours to get from Gateshead to Sunderland? Webbo could manage it on his hands and knees in that time!!

Last time we went to Sunderland, the London Branch decided to quench their thirsts in Newcastle and then take the Metro down to the station right near the ground. The time before that, I was in the William(?) Jameson on the same road as the station but a little in the opposite direction from the ground - I think that was a Wetherspoons.

Wasn't that the year before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670