Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2023 rumours thread - it's started already!

Actually maybe we’ll sign up GTF for the new season.

SSN have said, Toon can have him if they meet the asking price
Which I very much doubt is £25 million.

The price should be the same as Maddison, bearing in mind contract length and goals.

If it's 25 then we really are having a boot sale.

Can't see it myself. Other clubs would be interested at that price. Maybe Rudkin's been promised virgins in the afterlife.

A lot of panic over the £25m quoted.
You don't go straight in at the asking price, look at Arsenal and Ammers over Declan Rice.

And after selling Maddison quickly, we probably can spend a bit of time on negotiating Barnes fees

I read somewhere that 50 was the asking price, and that was a week back maybe. I assumed that was in response to interest, an offer even. A week passes and we're still 25 apart? Newcastle still 'preparing'? Even as an opening gambit, they must know it'll be batted back pronto and they'll revise. Tyre kicking innit?

We're not in a strong position. Other clubs will be able to take our players for lower than we would like. That's a consequence of relegation and our appalling contractual mess (too many players on too much money and with little time remaining of their contracts).

Most people expected more for Maddison than £35m (net of the £5m to Norwich). That's where we are though. Barnes is no way going to get us £30m+, we could maybe get some conditional amounts added but. like I say, we cannot tell clubs to feck off and they know it.

We've already spent half the revenue from Maddison on Winks and Coady and Doyle is coming in shortly. Where are the savings coming from? We have to sell off a load of players yet and they'll be some that go for decent amounts and others that we get stuffed over.

Ward, Iversen, Justin, Ricardo, Faes, Thomas, Ndidi, Soumare, Daka, Barnes, Vardy, Iheanacho, Castagne, Vestergaard, Dewsbury-Hall, Praet, Albrighton and Choudhury are all either surplus to requirements for the sort of football Maresca wants to play or on too much money or want to go or have too little time left on their contracts.

We've got seven weeks to get as many of them out as we can. Some will stay of course, but the more of them that leave the better for our chances of a fresh start.

Ward, Iversen, Justin, Ricardo, Faes, Thomas, Ndidi, Soumare, Daka, Barnes, Vardy, Iheanacho, Castagne, Vestergaard, Dewsbury-Hall, Praet, Albrighton and Choudhury are all either surplus to requirements for the sort of football Maresca wants to play or on too much money or want to go or have too little time left on their contracts.

I’m not doubting much of your post, but you’ve omitted savings from the release of those out of contract, which won’t be insignificant, so I thought I should point that out.

Indeed. In $ but the point remains:

Tielemans: 8.5M
Maddison: 8M
Evans: 7M
Perez: 6M
Bertrand: 5.5M
Amartey: 4M
Mendy: 3.5M
Soyuncu: 3.2M

Likely to save:

Nacho: 6.5M + Transfer Fee
Barnes: 7M + Transfer Fee
Castagne: 5M +Transfer Fee
Praet: 6M + Transfer Fee

May have to pay to shift Vestergaard and Ward (who knows with Vesty though, Maresca might fancy him) but can still expect to shift about half of their wages.

Add in probably around 20% of salary cuts related to relegation.

Obviously our salary outlay will massively dwarf most, if not all, championship clubs - but we have cut our salaries enormously so far. It is true to say Vardy and Ricardo are burdens - can't see either leaving, so we have to hope they can make significant contributions - or perhaps we can renegotiate with both.

I guess I'm struggling with this 'championship discount' thing. Unless there really is only half a dozen clubs with that kind of money to spend then 25M for someone of Barnes' potential ought to see a number of Prem clubs show interest. If it's the case that that's too much for most of them then it being a relegation price (or whatever) doesn't really come into it. It's that most clubs outside of the mega-rich-however-many don't have the fritter money to take a punt. Something's only worth what someone will pay, and if most buyers are skint then you have a limited market - no matter what your own position is. It's more hoping for a 'big 6 premium' than begrudgingly accepting that there's a relegation discount being applied.

We're not in a strong position. Other clubs will be able to take our players for lower than we would like. That's a consequence of relegation and our appalling contractual mess (too many players on too much money and with little time remaining of their contracts).

Most people expected more for Maddison than £35m (net of the £5m to Norwich). That's where we are though. Barnes is no way going to get us £30m+, we could maybe get some conditional amounts added but. like I say, we cannot tell clubs to feck off and they know it.

We've already spent half the revenue from Maddison on Winks and Coady and Doyle is coming in shortly. Where are the savings coming from? We have to sell off a load of players yet and they'll be some that go for decent amounts and others that we get stuffed over.

We've got seven weeks to get as many of them out as we can. Some will stay of course, but the more of them that leave the better for our chances of a fresh start.
I get it - you think we are in a mess and its hard not to disagree...

But surely we're not in that much of a mess if we're spending transfer fees on signings. So what you are saying does not match our movement for this window so far.

Maddison sets the bar. Our best player by a street so anyone else we sell will be priced by the market at a certain fraction of his fee. There'll be a small adjustment for things like age & time left on contract but essentially it means we're getting a dogshit fee for Barnes.

In an ideal world I'd like to see what a new coaching setup could achieve with him. But thats obviously not a runner. If we get £30m that'll be a right result under the circumstances.

Maddison sets the bar. Our best player by a street so anyone else we sell will be priced by the market at a certain fraction of his fee.
Sorry, no, I don't buy that. Barnes will go for whatever someone's prepared to pay. Sure, a buyer might try that as a bargaining ploy but ultimately his value to both clubs will determine the price.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663