the met

Status
Not open for further replies.
:icon_roll I'm sorry it was an attempt at humour,I'll leave the grown ups to it.I try not to take myself or this place too seriously

In that case, I excuse you. But I do wonder whether you would have attempted to make a joke of it if you lived in London or if you visited London at all regularly.

So many people see this as some kind of academic exercise which they are commenting on. Alas it was not - in the real world, it was less than 24 hours after several attempts to blow up trains had occurred and just 15 days after 3 trains and a bus were blown to pieces.

In that case, I excuse you. But I do wonder whether you would have attempted to make a joke of it if you lived in London or if you visited London at all regularly.

I wasn't attempting to make a joke of the matter under discussion,I am well aware it is/was a serious and distressing time for everyone involved.Believe it or not I am 39 years old.

You should feel free to have you own defintion of 'warzone'. I was in London when deMenezes was killed; at the time I was just 3 tube stops away from the event. Bearing in mind the events of the previous day and the events that had taken place just over a fortnight earlier, I would definitely say that I was in a warzone at that time.

I am pleased that the Met police were there protecting me, even if they did make a mistake on that occasion. I am also pleased that the officer involved was allowed to carry on in his job and kill an armed robber down here in Kent a short time later.

Mistakes will be made. When the stakes are high, the mistakes will be of greater consequence - that is a matter of fact. The only way to stop making mistakes is to do nothing at all - and that would be a far greater mistake.

Absolutely Boc. Most of this argument has been sterile and based on hindsight.

This was a tragedy of errors, but the circumstances of heightened public emotion and overstretch of security forces were such that the probability of something like this happening were high.

I find it odd that this case in those circumstances has attracted all this heat and hand-wringing. Much more than several other cases over the years where the pressures were nowhere near the same. Like the guy shot for carrying a table leg. Or Blair Peach. Or Kevin Gately.

Yes, I was perhaps at risk of ending up like this poor bloke. But I was certain, and remain so, that I was at a much greater risk of some lunatic blowing himself up and taking him with me - even if, in reality, the actual risk of either was extremely small.

Personally I think this trial was a mistake. Because of it the real investigation into what happened (by the IPCC) has had to be frozen. That what the forum in which real examination of the processes, misjudgements, possible culpability of individuals takes place, hopefully leading to actions to lessen the lieklihood of it happening again.

Last edited:
I wasn't attempting to make a joke of the matter under discussion,I am well aware it is/was a serious and distressing time for everyone involved.Believe it or not I am 39 years old.

You wrote that the person in charge had made up the identity of a suspect. When I challenged you on that, you said it was a joke. How was that not a joke about the matter under discussion?

You really need to make your mind up.

Absolutely Boc. Most of this argument has been sterile and based on hindsight.

This was a tragedy of errors, but the circumstances of heightened public emotion and overstretch of security forces were such that the probability of something like this happening were high.

I have to agree - I was on the tube a couple of days after the bombings and I've never experienced a feeling like it - everyone was on edge and suspicious and I've no doubt that would have played some part in the tragic death of the Brazilian. Mistakes were undoubtably made, but I don't think for a minute they were anything other than honest mistakes.

I have a theory.

I try not to break the law, I think my chances of being killed by the law preventers are slim, very slim.

If I start breaking the law, I expect my chances to rise slightly.

Personally, I put it down to the fact that I try not to break the law that I am alive today, and not been killed whilst committing a mistermeanor by those that are employed to stop me.

I have in the past been naughty, and when instructed by the law enforcers to do something when I have been caught, I have promptly done it.

It is a policy I try to stick by.

That is an excellent philosophy Melts and is precisely what I would do, but has no relevance to the Stockwell shooting.

JCDM had committed no misdemeanor & didn't disobey any instruction, he was sat calmly on the train when it happened.

JCDM had committed no misdemeanor & didn't disobey any instruction, he was sat calmly on the train when it happened.
Well in no way can I argue that, I wasn't there. As I don't watch the news or read papers I bow to your superior knowledge on the case, and if that's true, then it's shocking.

As you pointed out, my theory didn't mention JCDM :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670