Train prices and times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I'd agree with your imaginary mate, but if he can get to Brum for the required time it's cheaper than anything he could do on the Saturday.
;) no probs
but he my imaginary mate is well known on the forum for getting good deals:)
night all:icon_wink

PDS

I've found £26 return. Out at 14:52 on Friday 13th - arrive Weymouth 20:09

Return from Weymouth at 08:44 on Friday 20th - arrive Leicester at 14:13

It's a Virgin Advance ticket, only valid on specified trains. You would need to book it asap before it goes up.

Do you want the details?

Last edited:
PDS

I've found £26 return. Out at 14:52 on Friday 13th - arrive Weymouth 20:09

Return from Weymouth at 08:44 on Friday 20th - arrive Leicester at 14:13

It's a Virgin Advance ticket, only valid on specified trains. You would need to book it asap before it goes up.

Do you want the details?

How did you do that then?

I've tried numerous combinations that I thought would have cheap Virgin fares and found nothing.

How did you do that then?

I've tried numerous combinations that I thought would have cheap Virgin fares and found nothing.

New facility on the much improved National Rail journey planner. Takes a bit of working but I managed to get there in the end.

New facility on the much improved National Rail journey planner. Takes a bit of working but I managed to get there in the end.

Hadn't noticed the search by fare thing before, how long's it been there?

The tickets it brings up aren't shown if you user the standard planner to get Leicester to Weymouth tickets on those dates and times.

The tickets it brings up aren't shown if you user the standard planner to get Leicester to Weymouth tickets on those dates and times.

In fact the journey to get there, with those changes, was shown when I tried a Leicester to Weymouth search, it just didn't show the cheapest fare. Does this mean there are other cases where it doesn't show the cheapest fare for a particular journey?

Hadn't noticed the search by fare thing before, how long's it been there?

I think the search by fare is new today. I've certainly never seen it before.

The JP will always look for the quickest route, which in this case is almost certainly via London. Even if you tried various vias, it would still find the quickest route. I don;t suppose however long you tried various combinations, you would have thought to put in Taunton as a via. If you had done, you would have got this fare.

The old NR JP used to have a 'Fastest' or ' Cheapest' option - but it never did work very well.

Where I have the advantage over most people is that I have the fares manual so I can see all the possib;le fares between any two stations. Once I know the cheapest fare, I can then go about finding services which it is valid on. Your only option is to work down towards what you think is the cheapest.

All this is no good on those journeys where you must split tickets to get the cheapest. But with a fare of £13 single, I know that splitting tickets wasn;t an option as long as I could find services for that cheapest ticket.

In fact the journey to get there, with those changes, was shown when I tried a Leicester to Weymouth search, it just didn't show the cheapest fare. Does this mean there are other cases where it doesn't show the cheapest fare for a particular journey?

Had you specified the right time of day - the time when the cheap tickets are available?

then MK to London.

MK to London is currently £12.90 cheap day retrurn (as long as you dont want to use Virgin trains). And they are doing a 2 for 1 offer on lots of London attrations. Add another fiver for unlimited tube/bus

Not that this is relevant to anyone/anything. i just thought I'd get my 2p worth in.

I find these train website baffling. Need to spend a good day or two working out how to use them right.

Practice makes perfect.

You have to be hard up and need to use the trains often, like me and Jeff. Then you find out how to use them efficiently.

Practice makes perfect.

You have to be hard up and need to use the trains often, like me and Jeff. Then you find out how to use them efficiently.

Bugger!

I have plans to use them a lot next season - so I can have good look around the place/towns. I'll think I will just pop down Leicester Station. :icon_lol:

That won't do you any good if you want to get the cheapest fares.

Booking clerks are obliged to sell you the cheapest ticket available for the journey you want to make. The trouble is that most of them have no idea what the cheapest fare is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669