Train prices and times

Status
Not open for further replies.

pds

Can anyone of you train addicts find a cheapish ticket to Weymouth on the 13th July returning on the 20th.
I have skimmed through a few sites but the prices seem extortionate.
To anyone who finds me a good price I'll buy a pint.

Can anyone of you train addicts find a cheapish ticket to Weymouth on the 13th July returning on the 20th.

What time of day would you like to leave/return?

How many of you are going?

Have you got a youn person's railcard?

What time of day would you like to leave/return? Earlyish

How many of you are going? 2 adults

Have you got a youn person's railcard? No

Fridays are generally a more expensive day to travel, due to demand on that day.
Saturday is also a possibility

Last edited:
What is earlyish?

If you mean peak time in the morning you're unlikely to get any cheap tickets.

Before dinner time.

It's only a preference, if tickets are cheaper later on then I'm happy with that.

Not travelled by train for ages, but i would like to visit the smoke on a Saturday in the coming weeks. Can anyone tell me if there is any restrictions on Saturday travelling, and roughly how much it costs for a Leicester to London return.:)

Not travelled by train for ages, but i would like to visit the smoke on a Saturday in the coming weeks. Can anyone tell me if there is any restrictions on Saturday travelling, and roughly how much it costs for a Leicester to London return.:)

did it for £6 each way a few weeks ago, had to book well in advance though

Hey get out of my thread. :icon_bigg

No restrictions if you buy a saver ticket, but that costs something like £40 for a return, unless you use some tricks to split the journey into separate tickets, which would restrict which trains you could use.
You may be able to do the return trip for £12 if you're prepared to book on specific trains.

Does this mean you ain't going Skeggy?

No restrictions if you buy a saver ticket, but that costs something like £40 for a return, unless you use some tricks to split the journey into separate tickets, which would restrict which trains you could use.
You may be able to do the return trip for £12 if you're prepared to book on specific trains.

When you say specific trains do you mean that you depart at set times i.e you can only leave St Pancras at say 7.20pm to return:102:

Before dinner time.

It's only a preference, if tickets are cheaper later on then I'm happy with that.

The fares the online planner will tell you:
The standard Saver fare is £78.20. You could get two singles for around £68.
You could buy a young person's railcard ( http://www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk/ ) for £20 and that would give you a third off, so it would more than pay for itself and you'd get a third off tickets for a year.

But by booking separate tickets to/from London you could potentially save money. The problem is you're leaving it a bit late for the journey on the 13th.

There are plenty of London to Weymouth return tickets, on specific trains, for £24.10. So if you'd booked far enough in advance you'd have been able to do the Leicester to London bit for £7 each way, giving you a fare of around £38 plus the cost of getting across London.
But I'm struggling to find cheap Leicester to London tickets at the moment.
There may be other ways to split the journey up, I'll also look into that.

Last edited:
When you say specific trains do you mean that you depart at set times i.e you can only leave St Pancras at say 7.20pm to return:102:

Yes. You have a seat booked on a specific train, your ticket is only valid for that seat on that train. I think the cheapest is £7 each way now, it was £6. There are a limited number of cheap tickets on each train though, so you usually need to book several weeks in advance to get the cheapest ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669