Walshy out of order

Status
Not open for further replies.
In reality this season Yann Kermorgant hasn't demonstrated himself to be a valuable asset in a promotion chase, but the move to another country may mean he could require time to settle in. That's a decision for Pearson to make based upon his assessment of the player and the man as a whole. Although, bearing in mind what's being said about the club's financial situation, we can't afford to have dead wood on the books.

Either way though, Yann Kermorgant certainly owes no apology. Our failure to gain promotion does not come down to that one moment in a season. That's how the man takes his penalties (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQlEHlnnteg) and credit should go to him for at least stepping forward to take one and wanting to prove himself to the fans. I know it's difficult to be sympathetic to footballers but it would be easy to hide in that situation.

The article appears to be a mix of mindless journalism and comment. It certainly won't help Yann's career at LCFC. Also, I'd be really dissapointed with our support if he was boo'd next season - who's that going to help?

With regard to Walshy. The man was a legend on the pitch, but sadly that doesn't neccesarily translate into him being a perfect gentleman and role-model. If kids don't know who Steve Walsh is I'd be surprised - they certainly should do for what he did for the club. He should be aware of his status and not publish such material, which certainly demonstrates at least that he's not the nicest of blokes. It's a shame his comment in the press reflects badly on what was a wonderful LCFC career for a player who is many people's favourite to ever wear the shirt.

With regard to Walshy. The man was a legend on the pitch, but sadly that doesn't neccesarily translate into him being a perfect gentleman and role-model. If kids don't know who Steve Walsh is I'd be surprised - they certainly should do for what he did for the club. He should be aware of his status and not publish such material, which certainly demonstrates at least that he's not the nicest of blokes. It's a shame his comment in the press reflects badly on what was a wonderful LCFC career for a player who is many people's favourite to ever wear the shirt.

Kids may well have heard of him, but only in the same way that I've heard of Arthur Chandler. He's a 'role model' to nobody, and even if he was, he has no responsibility to anybody.
If he wants to act like a prick, then that is his choice.
Being 'aware of his status' and living up to some kind of moral standing befitting of a 'role model' is a load of old bollocks.
He's just a human being same as everybody else.

I can understand the perspective that professional footballers have their own lives to lead and, at the end of the day, they sign a contract to play football, not to be role models in society, but I don't buy into it. People in the public eye should be more responsible.

Saying that, even advancing on the principle that Walshy is just a human being the same as everybody else, acting like that then publishing it with anecdotal pride is poor behaviour by the standards of human beings, the same as everybody else.

People in the public eye should be more responsible.

Why?
Seriously, why?

Saying that, even advancing on the principle that Walshy is just a human being the same as everybody else, acting like that then publishing it with anecdotal pride is poor behaviour by the standards of human beings, the same as everybody else.

Yes, so just call him the cock that he is and stop with all the bullshit about a player, that hasn't played professionally for 10 years, living on some sort of pedestal for yooofs to look up to. It's nonsense.

Walshy is just a human being the same as everybody else, acting like that then publishing it with anecdotal pride is poor behaviour by the standards of human beings, the same as everybody else.

Yes, but everybody else aren't expected to act in a certain way to display what is 'right and wrong' to kids of other folk.....Neither should footballers need to have that influence.

Kids may well have heard of him, but only in the same way that I've heard of Arthur Chandler. He's a 'role model' to nobody, and even if he was, he has no responsibility to anybody.
If he wants to act like a prick, then that is his choice.
Being 'aware of his status' and living up to some kind of moral standing befitting of a 'role model' is a load of old bollocks.

:038:

I'm fed up of constantly hearing people banging on about role models after every 'scandal'.

It's a fictional thing dreamt up by the twatty papers and Sky Sports News.

There's an old saying "Judge as you find"
I'm not trying to stick up for Walshy, all I'm saying is regardless of what you think you know of someone, until you spend a bit of time in some ones company you don't know what they are like as a human being! Instead we form a judgement very quickly based of what a friend of a friend has said about them, or something we have read, where the context of it can't be questioned. If you want to call someone, make an effort to get to know them yourself, then Judge them publicly (if you feel the need!)

Why?
Seriously, why?

Yes, so just call him the cock that he is and stop with all the bullshit about a player, that hasn't played professionally for 10 years, living on some sort of pedestal for yooofs to look up to. It's nonsense.

Can I just make my part in this clear, I don't think he should be considered or act like a role model at all, I just think it is massively hypocritical of him to ask Kermogant to apologise to the fans for a missed penalty when he then goes on to boast about an incident that could potentially have caused more damage to the club and it's image.

There's an old saying "Judge as you find"
I'm not trying to stick up for Walshy, all I'm saying is regardless of what you think you know of someone, until you spend a bit of time in some ones company you don't know what they are like as a human being! Instead we form a judgement very quickly based of what a friend of a friend has said about them, or something we have read, where the context of it can't be questioned. If you want to call someone, make an effort to get to know them yourself, then Judge them publicly (if you feel the need!)

Well said chfourmbo. I met Walshy a few times. The first time I met him I thought he was a big headed cockend, which left me confused because up to that point (he was still playing for City) I thought he was a god-like figure.
The second time, when there were less people around, he actually came across as a sound lad.
The third time, I was very drunk and made a show of myself.

Conclusion... we can all be pricks from time to time, so don't bother your arse judging anybody else.

Can I just make my part in this clear, I don't think he should be considered or act like a role model at all, I just think it is massively hypocritical of him to ask Kermogant to apologise to the fans for a missed penalty when he then goes on to boast about an incident that could potentially have caused more damage to the club and it's image.

Indeed Matt. If somebody acts like a prick, then pull them up for that, and that alone. You can't call somebody a **** because they don't live up to some false ideal that you've built them up with.

I agree with what Macky is saying. Many kids will have heard of Steve Walsh, but he's just a name to them, in the same way they probably will have heard of Arthur Chandler, Arthur Rowley, Gordon Banks, Keith Weller or Gary Lineker. There is no emotional connection to these players from young kids because they never saw them play. Respect them for what they did for the club, sure, but they will hardly be considered role models to anyone under a certain age. Matty Fryatt and Jack Hobbs are who the kids will be worshipping and rightly so, not players who played before they were born.

However, anyone who laughs off a story about punching a guy and then again when he's down to try and impress people is the kind of person I would consider a **** in any walk of life.

Last edited:
Well said chfourmbo. I met Walshy a few times. The first time I met him I thought he was a big headed cockend, which left me confused because up to that point (he was still playing for City) I thought he was a god-like figure.
The second time, when there were less people around, he actually came across as a sound lad.
The third time, I was very drunk and made a show of myself.

Conclusion... we can all be pricks from time to time, so don't bother your arse judging anybody else.

Indeed Matt. If somebody acts like a prick, then pull them up for that, and that alone. You can't call somebody a **** because they don't live up to some false ideal that you've built them up with.

Indeed, the only people I think should ever be considered role models are parents and teachers.

Indeed, the only people I think should ever be considered role models are parents and teachers.

and Cheryl Cole (or whatever her name is now) of course. Gawd bless er, an inspiration to us all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669