1-1 Ipswich (h)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Yeah my son was one of them again moaning about Neilson and Brown and the defence lacking any pace particularly Brown!!

It wasn't those who were being critical of players after a poor game, it was the ones going on about the season so far, how poor we;ve been, how we will be found out for the rest of the season etc etc etc.

And another thing.....there were at least four callers who after making their points(ahem) who then started going on about how great Forest are doing........well feck off and watch them then ffs!

I thought their No. 12, Jaime Peters looked a very useful (dangerous) player yesterday.

Plenty of over reaction about the performance on here. Ipswich were very negative and made it an ugly game. We're not going to be able to blast apart a well organised and solid team too often. A point was fair enough in the circumstances.

McGivern is being unfairly slated. I think he's improving and has plenty of potential. He's also clearly not good enough for Man City so we could end up signing him permanently and he could well end up as a better left back option than Twattock.

Wellens and Neilson did themselves no credit on the night. Far and away the worst two players. Wellens gives one good performance in three games. Nowhere near good enough for a player with his undoubted abillity.

Half way report: Played 23 league games and have 38 points. Highly satisfactory all things considered and NP deserves great credit for his man management of an average bunch of players.

My concerns are two-fold: If we want to go up and make a decent fist of things we need to up the work rate considerably. Considering our concentration on sports science, why are we not fitter? The team promoted under MON were much fitter than this lot. Half of them are fecked after 60 mins. Secondly, we are total wank at set pieces both offensively and defensively. To make it in the world we're aspiring to, we have to be excellent at both. Again, there is no excuse for this really and I'm very disappointed at the standard we produce.

If we can work on these two areas, a Prem place is up for grabs. This league is full of trash.

It wasn't those who were being critical of players after a poor game, it was the ones going on about the season so far, how poor we;ve been, how we will be found out for the rest of the season etc etc etc.

And another thing.....there were at least four callers who after making their points(ahem) who then started going on about how great Forest are doing........well feck off and watch them then ffs!

I heard rhis guy as well and thought he was trying to be oh so itellectual as though the rest of us City fans were like thickos or something and only he could see this (as well as the other Championship managers!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wellens was awful, bottled out of challenges and looked disinterested.

Wellens has a poor game. Like the vast majority of midfield players he partly influences but also partly reflects the performances of other members of the team. However, I certainly did not see him bottle out or look disinterested. Is this me missing something? Did other members see that?

Wellens has a poor game. Like the vast majority of midfield players he partly influences but also partly reflects the performances of other members of the team. However, I certainly did not see him bottle out or look disinterested. Is this me missing something? Did other members see that?

I saw him repeatedly dispossessed, and also saw him pass to opposing players on several occasions. Didn't see him back out of any challenges, but I think that's mostly because he wasn't there in the first place.

Plenty of over reaction about the performance on here. Ipswich were very negative and made it an ugly game. We're not going to be able to blast apart a well organised and solid team too often. A point was fair enough in the circumstances.

McGivern is being unfairly slated. I think he's improving and has plenty of potential. He's also clearly not good enough for Man City so we could end up signing him permanently and he could well end up as a better left back option than Twattock.

Wellens and Neilson did themselves no credit on the night. Far and away the worst two players. Wellens gives one good performance in three games. Nowhere near good enough for a player with his undoubted abillity.

Half way report: Played 23 league games and have 38 points. Highly satisfactory all things considered and NP deserves great credit for his man management of an average bunch of players.

My concerns are two-fold: If we want to go up and make a decent fist of things we need to up the work rate considerably. Considering our concentration on sports science, why are we not fitter? The team promoted under MON were much fitter than this lot. Half of them are fecked after 60 mins. Secondly, we are total wank at set pieces both offensively and defensively. To make it in the world we're aspiring to, we have to be excellent at both. Again, there is no excuse for this really and I'm very disappointed at the standard we produce.

If we can work on these two areas, a Prem place is up for grabs. This league is full of trash.

Presuming that your "... did themselves no credit on the night" was a figure of speech, I lend my support to every word of what you say here. In particular I would point out that McGivern is a young player who played on the day far closer to my expectations of him than did some of the more senior players. I would add Wayne Brown to your list, not least because not only did he have an appalling game but also because he was constantly blaming others for his own mistakes.

You mention fitness as being a critical difference between MON's teams and the present one. What about team spirit? I think that should be counted as another major difference - and I think that Wayne Brown's attitude to his fellows on Sunday is a big deterrent to the fostering of team spirit. When we're playing well, his constant bossing of other players can go unnoticed: when we're playing poorly and when he is playing poorly, his berating of others just brings the whole side down.

Very good player. And their no. 40 - Wickham - looked pretty good for a 16 year old striker.

I had not until now realised that he was as young as that. Five feet fifteen inches at the age of 16 - ffs! :icon_eek:

You mention fitness as being a critical difference between MON's teams and the present one. What about team spirit? I think that should be counted as another major difference - and I think that Wayne Brown's attitude to his fellows on Sunday is a big deterrent to the fostering of team spirit. When we're playing well, his constant bossing of other players can go unnoticed: when we're playing poorly and when he is playing poorly, his berating of others just brings the whole side down.

That's all well and good but Gerry Taggart often did the same thing and he was a major part of the MON team spirit im sure.

I remember him grabbing one of the young lads by the neck in one game.

That's all well and good but Gerry Taggart often did the same thing and he was a major part of the MON team spirit im sure.

I remember him grabbing one of the young lads by the neck in one game.

lol

I do remember one occasion of Taggs getting somebody round the neck but yours is clearly a different one. In the one that you remember was it that the 'young lad' had done something wrong - or was Taggs acting like Brown does in yelling at his team-mates when it was he himself who had made the mistake? There is a world of difference.

And here, for those who had forgotten it, a short video clip of Taggs grabbing somebody by the neck. Enjoy:

[YOUTUBE]nb5Igo2LvNs[/YOUTUBE]

Eh?

I do remember one occasion of Taggs getting somebody round the neck but yours is clearly a different one. In the one that you remember was it that the 'young lad' had done something wrong - or was Taggs acting like Brown does in yelling at his team-mates when it was he himself who had made the mistake? There is a world of difference.

I believe the young lad in the other incident was one Martin Reeves. And I have a feeling it was a pre-season friendly :icon_eek:

Eh?

I believe the young lad in the other incident was one Martin Reeves. And I have a feeling it was a pre-season friendly :icon_eek:

Correct on the friendly front, can't remember if it was him or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669