11 Points Off Promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite clearly this post an the one following it suggests that you think i am a total BM who thinks we are riding the crest of a promotion wave after one win. You could not be further from the truth.

No not at all, I was just providing you with some facts. I posted the second post as a general response to the board, hence why it was seperate from the post in response to you. I thought it was quite clear doing it that way, but next time I will make myself clearer. Sorry. :056:

I have no idea whether IH will be successful in his aims. What is clear though is that he wants to play with 2 holding midfielders, to proper wingers that will create chances and a balanced strike force that will score goals. IMO this is the type of team you need to stay up, if you go up. So i can only assume you are directing your posts at other people perhaps?

Not trying to have a go, but that is just the ****in' basics of football management.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm very pleased with what Holloway has done/is doing, but as you may have noticed I'm not a fan of the quick-fix option. We should build a team up over the rest of this season and next and then we should be aiming for promotion, this way we have a much better chance of having a sustained period in the top flight and won't be back to square one again after a year of watching us lose week in week out rather embarrassingly a-la Derby this season.

You assume correctly by the way!

I'm in. I'm on the FLudie band wagon. Yes, we're gonna do it and we're gonna go up champions. It reminds me of the 2038 Premier league season. We were 7 points behind Arsenal and went on to win the treble and then the European super cup, so if I can do that on Champ Manager, Ollie can do a whole lot more because he's got a brain.

Come on Fludie send me some naked pictures. Lets celebrate. :)

Lets say NO to NEGATIVITY......No, No, No. Let's say yes to naked pictures. Yes, yes, yes.

I'm in. I'm on the FLudie band wagon. Yes, we're gonna do it and we're gonna go up champions. It reminds me of the 2038 Premier league season. We were 7 points behind Arsenal and went on to win the treble and then the European super cup, so if I can do that on Champ Manager, Ollie can do a whole lot more because he's got a brain.

Possibly, but remember in 2038 we still had Hayles even tho' he was pushing 70, still knocking them in from all angles.

No not at all, I was just providing you with some facts. I posted the second post as a general response to the board, hence why it was seperate from the post in response to you. I thought it was quite clear doing it that way, but next time I will make myself clearer. Sorry. :056:

Not trying to have a go, but that is just the ****in' basics of football management.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm very pleased with what Holloway has done/is doing, but as you may have noticed I'm not a fan of the quick-fix option. We should build a team up over the rest of this season and next and then we should be aiming for promotion, this way we have a much better chance of having a sustained period in the top flight and won't be back to square one again after a year of watching us lose week in week out rather embarrassingly a-la Derby this season.

You assume correctly by the way!

Sadly the basics of football are something we have lacked since the first season in Walkers! The basics are obvious to the fans yet as a team we have not achieved them for years!! Dont care whether its a quick fix or not tbh, as long as the right players are playing the right way he could buy all 16 tommorrow as far as I am concerned!!

We should build a team up over the rest of this season and next and then we should be aiming for promotion, this way we have a much better chance of having a sustained period in the top flight and won't be back to square one again after a year of watching us lose week in week out rather embarrassingly a-la Derby this season.

I don't think that you can apply that sort of planning to football promotion issues.

Clearly any talk of promotion this season is as embarrassing as it is absurd. But in my opinion we are playing in a very poor division as a result of the increasing gap between our league and the premiership and the possibility must be that any team with something about them could challenge for promotion next season. If we were in that position then I don't think that it's in the nature of a club to deliberately try to miss out for strategic reasons.

There is a sort of pattern these days that the team promoted through the play offs is probably doomed partly because they have less opportunity to recruit better players and Derby (who finished 5th?) are a classic case.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of realism .... in the last 3 seasons you needed 73, 75 and 75 points to reach the play offs. To do that we need to get an average of 2.36 points per game from our last 19 games. It isn't going to happen. When Reading got promoted with 106 points their game average over the season was 2.30 - even they couldn't do it!

So realistically we are not going to reach the play offs - unless there is a combination of factors;

• We get at least 2 points a match on avarage to get 68 points
  • The league remains so competitive thast the play off points total is reduced dramatically - in which case on the last day of the season up to 10 clubs could rweach the play offs last spot
  • We have a miracles and become world-beaters.

As Michael Winner would say .... "Calm down dear - it was just a home win"
:bang:

A bit of realism .... in the last 3 seasons you needed 73, 75 and 75 points to reach the play offs. To do that we need to get an average of 2.36 points per game from our last 19 games. It isn't going to happen. When Reading got promoted with 106 points their game average over the season was 2.30 - even they couldn't do it!

So realistically we are not going to reach the play offs - unless there is a combination of factors;

• We get at least 2 points a match on avarage to get 68 points
  • The league remains so competitive thast the play off points total is reduced dramatically - in which case on the last day of the season up to 10 clubs could rweach the play offs last spot
  • We have a miracles and become world-beaters.

As Michael Winner would say .... "Calm down dear - it was just a home win"
:bang:

As I said earlier in this thread, we need to win 15 out of the remaining 19 matches. We have thirty points, we need 45 more to make the play-offs. It's very unlikely, I won't be getting hopeful in the slightest unless we've won 14 straight. :102:

I don't think that you can apply that sort of planning to football promotion issues.

Clearly any talk of promotion this season is as embarrassing as it is absurd. But in my opinion we are playing in a very poor division as a result of the increasing gap between our league and the premiership and the possibility must be that any team with something about them could challenge for promotion next season. If we were in that position then I don't think that it's in the nature of a club to deliberately try to miss out for strategic reasons.

There is a sort of pattern these days that the team promoted through the play offs is probably doomed partly because they have less opportunity to recruit better players and Derby (who finished 5th?) are a classic case.

Yeah I know, but I really would hate it if we had a season as poor as Derby have been this year in The Premiership.

The only positive thing I can see happening if we were to get promoted next season would be a few extra bob in MMs bank account! Being in the Premiership for only one season would IMO be a backward step, as after relegation we would be back to square one again buying a new team every season.

This is the only reason why I don't want us to get promoted too soon. Of course I would be as happy as Larry if we were to get promoted but it would soon turn to a similar feeling of the past year or two once the season actually began.

The way the lge is going it may well be a lower total required for the play-offs this season, but even so any talk of city being involved is absurd.
Lets make sure we dont get relegated.

We won't reach the playoffs, but that's not any reason for not aiming as high as possible still.

We should still be looking for a top half finish, which I would say is realistic.

One week, and here we are....

We lose 3-0 Sat'Day and it'll be back to the bottom (not like that HF).

I love our club.

A bit of realism .... in the last 3 seasons you needed 73, 75 and 75 points to reach the play offs. To do that we need to get an average of 2.36 points per game from our last 19 games.
Just because it's needed that many points in previous seasons doesn't mean it will this season.
Based on the points teams have got so far this season, 70 points would be enough to qualify for the play-offs. That would leave us needing 2.1 points per game. Still extremely unlikely, but over 19 games isn't totally unrealistic. You'd have to be mad to think we'll do it though.

The only positive thing I can see happening if we were to get promoted next season would be a few extra bob in MMs bank account! Being in the Premiership for only one season would IMO be a backward step, as after relegation we would be back to square one again buying a new team every season.

MM's bank account would also see some disappear, as the previous shareholders would then receive an additional 40% of their original share value from MM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669