2018 World Cup Bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see local business men/women investing in building a 30000+ stadium in Plymouth.
I should imagine their average crowd is 10000, so how is it viable to build a stadium there?
They aren't building a new ground, they are extending Home Park.

I can't see local business men/women investing in building a 30000+ stadium in Plymouth.
I should imagine their average crowd is 10000, so how is it viable to build a stadium there?

It's not and thats why it's a joke. They'l be left with a stadium that holds just under 50,000 and not have even 20% in it most weeks.

Last edited:
It's not and thats why it's a joke. They'l be left with a stadium that holds just under 50,000 and not have even 20% in it most weeks.

I saw them outlining their plan for Home park, firstly they intend to increase it by a few thousand to 30,000 and then bang it up to 46,000! Incredible, I know I'm being one eyed as we're out of the bid now but I simply can't understand why they and MK are being considered.

I saw them outlining their plan for Home park, firstly they intend to increase it by a few thousand to 30,000 and then bang it up to 46,000! Incredible, I know I'm being one eyed as we're out of the bid now but I simply can't understand why they and MK are being considered.

I'm just looking at the end product, when the ground will have to hold 46k in order to host a world cup game. I just fear for the likes of Plymouth, MK Dons and Bristol City who will be left with these huge grounds that will be going to complete waste.

Id be interested to see exactly what was wrong with our bid.

I'm just looking at the end product, when the ground will have to hold 46k in order to host a world cup game. I just fear for the likes of Plymouth, MK Dons and Bristol City who will be left with these huge grounds that will be going to complete waste.

Id be interested to see exactly what was wrong with our bid.

There's nothing remotly sustainable or logical about spending x million quid on a ground thet will only see a capacity crowd several times at the world cup and then hardly being used to its full potential ever again.

I wonder if with the new grounds they will look at the possibilty of reducing the capacities once the world cup is over as they propose to do with the olympic stadium?!?

There's nothing remotly sustainable or logical about spending x million quid on a ground thet will only see a capacity crowd several times at the world cup and then hardly being used to its full potential ever again.

Agreed. I really can't work out what they have based these choices on, its pathetic that teams such as Plymouth and MK Scum have been chosen over a great club like ours, we have everything here and our near to most places, we have good transport links, we have every nationality living here as well as a good ground which is up to date. PLYMOUTH :icon_roll What the hell, it is an absolute shithole with nothing there, they get about ten thousand fans a week at best, why on earth would they get chosen over us. Mk Scum are not even a club, they are a joke and I am ashamed to have them representing our country. The FA are just complete and utter tossers all they care about is getting the World Cup here so they can appear great and wonderful, they don't give a shit about what this is going to do to clubs such as Bristol, MK and Plymouth, extending and building the grounds will make the clubs bankrupt and end up killing them, I really hope we don't get the World Cup here as it will be a mess and could ruin some of the clubs who are going to be hosting Slovakia v Algeria.

I wonder if with the new grounds they will look at the possibilty of reducing the capacities once the world cup is over as they propose to do with the olympic stadium?!?

If Florest ever agree on where they build theirs, it would be nice if it was reduced after the world cup. How about reduced to rubble?

If Florest ever agree on where they build theirs, it would be nice if it was reduced after the world cup. How about reduced to rubble?

:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

I remember reading that the Forest fans really didn't want to be a host city as they didn't want to lose the City ground, good that them wankers will be pissed off anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all gravy, England might not even get the games so let's not get too down on it.

When Mahwhenny read out that Nottingham were selected he said "the new Nottingham Forest ground" and definetly not the City ground which surely means they have to build a new ground.

Oh, I know they're planning a new stadium, but it's been hit back by the council. With the potential money from the World Cup surely they could get the go-ahead for a new stadium before England are/n't chosen, so it's win-win for them.

Sorry, I should have realised that they were expanding Home Park. I still don't see the point in having a 46000 stadium which will be 25% full, and thats if they are still in the League by then.

Exactly, so it's a good job we didn't get it.

When Mahwhenny read out that Nottingham were selected he said "the new Nottingham Forest ground" and definetly not the City ground which surely means they have to build a new ground.
Yep, even our "new ground" which is only at blue sky stage yet is still preferable to the crisp packet

It's in Leicester :081:

Feck me, and I thought for one minute Nottingham was some sort of paradise island. You must have forgotten I live in this shit hole of a city.

Have Florest thought of a scenario when the county council tell you to **** off and build elsewhere :102:

Leicester Miss Out on World CUp Bid

http://thefoxfanzine.wordpress.com/2009/12/17/leicester-misses-out-on-world-cup-bid/?

The same mentality that saw East Midlands Airport renamed Nottingham Airport seems to have struck again, with Nottingham being named as the potential East Midlands World Cup venue for 2018, despite the proposed stadium not even past the initial planning stages…

Head of the selection panel, England 2018 deputy chairman Lord Mawhinney, said: “England’s fortunate to have so many good stadia and I would like to congratulate all of the applicant host cities for the seven months of really hard work they have put in.
There will also be a lot of disappointed football fans around the country I understand that – and if I was a fan of theirs I would be just as disappointed.”
It seems that the selection panel don’t believe in the old adage, ‘a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush’ with their list including four grounds that do not, as yet, exist.
The bid presentation cost £110,00 and Martin Traynor, managing director of Leicestershire Chamber, commented: “I am hugely disappointed and very surprised that Nottingham is on the list considering their new ground is extremely unlikely to get planning permission.”

World Cup Bid Stadia

Sunderland – Stadium of Light
London – Wembley Stadium
Birmingham – Villa Park
Manchester – City of Manchester Stadium
Nottingham – new Nottingham Forest stadium
London – Emirates Stadium
Leeds – Elland Road
Sheffield – Hillsborough
Newcastle/Gateshead – St James’ Park
Bristol – new Ashton Vale stadium
London – new White Hart Lane or Olympic Stadium