A Talking Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunc

Something occurred to me today, I remember when I used to laugh at clubs who constantly changed manager and at their fans that couldn't understand why their team was struggling/inconsistent/not developing.

Then I realised that in the last 15 years we have had 8 Managers -

Brian Little (91-95)
Mark McGhee (95-96)
Martin O'Neill (96-2000)
Peter Taylor (2000-01)
Dave Bassett (01-02)
Micky Adams (02-04)
Craig Levein (04-06)
Rob Kelly (06-??)

And out of that 8, two were at the club for 8 years, meaning out of the remaining 7 we've had 6 managers and in the last 10 years we've had 7 managers, not including the caretakers (David Nish, Allan Evans, Gary Parker, Howard Wilkinson).

If you look at the successfully consistent teams, not just Man Utd and Arsenal but teams like Wigan, Reading, Sheffield Utd, Crewe, Birmingham, Bolton, Everton, Pompey (under Redknapp), Charlton (under Curbs) there is a common thread - consistent management.

Look at the so called under-achievers of recent times- Wolves, Leicester, Charlton (since Curbs), West Ham (apart from Pardew) Newcastle, Southampton, Leeds, West Brom, Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, Sunderland to name a few and there is another common thread, changing the manager.

Now every now and again you'll luck out and get someone like Brian Laws who will come in and start winning immediately, but chances are that if after a year the fans will boo, the board will worry and the patience starts wearing, no thought for long term development or consistency.

Most of those successful teams have 10-12 players in the squad who have in excess of 70+ appearances have learnt to play with each other and have developed in some form together. By chopping and changing managers, you naturally have to support the new man by providing funds for new players and players are chopped and changed.

So why aren't fans willing to accept time and development, supporting their young players and watching them learn rather than expecting them to have all the skills, experience, knowledge, consistency after 10 games and god forbid if their initial youthful impetutus is lost for a while....

This I think is down to fans who don't have any patience for development, young players (currently see Stearman, Fryatt, McCarthy, Logan) aren't given any time to improve, as soon as performances drop they are castigated and condemned to being 'shite' even though they might only be 19/20/21 and still learning their trade.

Look back at 85-87, we had players like Ian Andrews, Simon Morgan, Mark Venus, Mark Bright, Robert Alleyne, and even Rob Kelly coming through and who were representing their countrys at Under 21's - predicted a successful career and the spine of a Leicester team for the next 10 years. What happened?!

For those of you too young to remember, it is similar to now, fans started to boo them, call them shite (or whatever the word was at the time), their confidence crumbled and all of them left Leicester with potential unrealised.

In the case of Ian Andrews, talent always meant a club would try and rebuild the shattered confidence even those of the size of Celtic, but he never recovered. Mark Bright went onto be a top goalscorer for Crystal Palace and Sheff Wed over a long period of time.Simon Morgan went onto show his quality over a 10-12 period at Fulham and Mark Venus was one of the most consistent left backs/centre halves in the old Div 1 for over 10 -12 years. Players like Rob Kelly and Robert Alleyne never realised their potential either due to injury or application.

But what would have happened to Leicester if the fans had supported these young players through their difficult period after 20 or so 1st team games when opposition players start to work them out, or test them more and the initial confidence and form starts to ebb.

If those players had been added to Walsh, McAllister, Mauchlen, Ramsey, Smith (all of whom had the same sniped from the crowd at similar points but battled through it to a greater or lesser degree) then we might not have had to endure the poor 2nd and 3rd years of Pleat (most people forget that for the 1st year of his reign he got us playing fantastic football, inconsistent, but at times superb, before the players above were destroyed).

The similarities are similar to now, a team of young players that are developing together, getting booed when things go badly, little credit when things go well.

I'm not saying that every sacking was a bad decision, or that if Rob Kelly went in Jan/Feb that a new man couldn't improve performances and results til the end of the season, but then just as has happened for the past 3 managers the polls on internet forums will start in the summer asking inane questions such as "How long will you give A N Other?" and the most popular answer is usually Christmas and if we aren't in the play-offs then sack him.

Everytime a club goes through managers like we are currently, you can be sure its also going to be reflected in 'shite' results.

I'm not saying Rob Kelly is the messiah or that all of our young players are going to develop into Premiership stars but I don't personally believe that Leicester City fans are giving and ever have given young players, or Rob Kelly, the best chance possible of doing so.

Last edited:
Dunc, times change and with it the attitudes. These days there is a higher level of money in the game and so results have to be quick. I think the days of building a team from manager through to the team have long gone. Look at Charlton, once they hit the bottom the managers changed really quick. I blame the money that has flowed into the game, players are paid well over the odds and clubs and fans have a right to expect the success these players should bring

Modern day football is about buying success, not nurturing it. It's a shame, but it's a hard fact.

I blame tele and greed

Dunc, times change and with it the attitudes. These days there is a higher level of money in the game and so results have to be quick. I think the days of building a team from manager through to the team have long gone. Look at Charlton, once they hit the bottom the managers changed really quick. I blame the money that has flowed into the game, players are paid well over the odds and clubs and fans have a right to expect the success these players should bring

I hate that argument based on pay.

It makes no difference if they are paid £10 or £10,000 you can still miss a penalty, or be predominantly one footed and you can lose games either way.

Its nonsense to suggest that by paying players £XXXX they should bring success and if they don't they ship them out and get another load of players or manager- repeat until succesful.

As a law of infinity, at some point it will work, just as a monkey sat at a typewriter will eventually type the works of Shakespeare, but its hardly the sanest way.

It makes no difference if they are paid £10 or £10,000 you can still miss a penalty, or be predominantly one footed and you can lose games either way.

Its nonsense to suggest that by paying players £XXXX they should bring success and if they don't they ship them out and get another load of players or manager- repeat until succesful.

As a law of infinity, at some point it will work, just as a monkey sat at a typewriter will eventually type the works of Shakespeare, but its hardly the sanest way.

but its a fact, you pay big money you expect big things in return, only an idiot wouldn't

Modern day football is about buying success, not nurturing it. It's a shame, but it's a hard fact.

I blame tele and greed

Only if you have no patience, which is my argument.

And as we have IMO the basis of a decent team of young players who hopefully MM's money will add to with some proven players, it might not be such a bad idea as to support them as they develop, make mistakes and learn their trade, rather than the usual shouts of despair at every moment possible.

The one footed thing really is my biggest gripe about footballers from the UK. How the hell they cannot kick equally well with each foot is beyond me in this day and age where skill is more and more important. They should be trained as soon as they get to the clubs as kids to kick with both feet, extra training in fact to make sure.

No wonder we can't win a world cup when supposedly the best left back in the world at Chelsea refuses a routine clearance with his right foot to feck it up with his left...

Only if you have no patience, which is my argument.

And as we have IMO the basis of a decent team of young players who hopefully MM's money will add to with some proven players, it might not be such a bad idea as to support them as they develop, make mistakes and learn their trade, rather than the usual shouts of despair at every moment possible.
I agree entirely with this point. The only problem I have with it is that you need a good manager to bring out the best in these players.

If the players we have are good enough for a promotion challenge, and I believe they are. Then it can only be the manager to blame for our current predicament. Either that, or this current bunch of players have some serious personality problems

Last edited:
How the hell they cannot kick equally well with each foot is beyond me in this day and age where skill is more and more important.
It's biological, one side of the human body will always be better and more developed

Anyway, the point about players is moving away from the point that the club needs consistency not constant change.

The major reason we are struggling at the moment is that almost every year for the past 6 we have had a new manager and no club in the world is successful with a record like that.

Coupled with the fact that in the past 2 years we have had no choice but to develop young players who (IMO) Leicester fans as a general rule don't support, unless MM is lucky/remarkably astute with his money and purchases, we will continue to be as other people say 'fecked'.

I agree, and we haven't so only an idiot would expect big things.

Ah.....

You cannot expect much from the bunch of wankers we follow so you dont expect much, but a team like Chelsea things are expected.

Anyway our manager is crap

It's not just pay (though it's related). It's also that supporters reckon that having coughed up a few hundred, they should be entitled to watch their team win, or at least play well.

Bring back, "Shit Happens." At least it's better than the pointless fecking booing.

Biologically the Portuguese are ahead of us then... and the *cough* French...

Now that is a scary thought.
Closer to the equater, the gravitational pull on one side of the body becomes less of a stresser

I agree entirely with this point. The only problem I have with it is that you need a good manager to bring out the best in these players.

If the players we have are good enough for a promotion challenge, and I believe they are. Then it can only be the manager to blame for our current predicament. Either that, or this current bunch of players have some serious personality problems

My argument is that they might be good enough (just as those young players from 20 years ago turned out to be) but Leicester fans as a rule don't have the patience/knowledge/understanding and support them which is what IMO they need.

The times a simple mistake that any player in the country could make at the highest level is met with groans/moans/abuse is unbelievable and its no wonder that players such as Stearman, Fryatt, O'Grady, Logan (who in some parts got blamed for some of Sheff Wed goals!), McCarthy etc are stagnating because they are so shit scared of making mistakes and getting booed/abused by their own fans.

Anyway, the point about players is moving away from the point that the club needs consistency not constant change.

The major reason we are struggling at the moment is that almost every year for the past 6 we have had a new manager and no club in the world is successful with a record like that.

Coupled with the fact that in the past 2 years we have had no choice but to develop young players who (IMO) Leicester fans as a general rule don't support, unless MM is lucky/remarkably astute with his money and purchases, we will continue to be as other people say 'fecked'.

Our club needs.
1. a better manager
2. better players
3. a more generous board
4. someone in charge of the board who knows what they are doing
5. better food on sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593