Accrington Stanley Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHS

we won, i'm happy with the Win, but we were Woeful. Some 'interesting' tactics made by martin tonight to say the least...kenton at centre back with ngotty at right back...fryatt down the left wing...wtf! Again, Clemence kishishev and weso didnt do well, one of them has to be dropped (kish imo). Hume and dj are toosimilar to play together. On the plus side, henderson made a top class save, odhiambo looked good in the few mins he was on, and the banter with the stanley keeper was top drawer! All in all, a good evening and a good result, just a shame about the performance.

Boy Genius

Banned
it was feckin hard going listening to it on RL. The second half sounded like we were very lucky indeed

pipes

At least we won. Wasn't at the game and couldn't listen to it, but from what I've read we did OK enough, hopefully it can be character building. The win wasn't glamorous or anything, but imgaine we'd lost at home like Preston did, I bet their fans would have taken a scrappy 1-0 win. Let's try and build on it and bring on Palace!

Fox Fan

we won, i'm happy with the Win, but we were Woeful. Some 'interesting' tactics made by martin tonight to say the least...kenton at centre back with ngotty at right back...fryatt down the left wing...wtf! Again, Clemence kishishev and weso didnt do well, one of them has to be dropped (kish imo). Hume and dj are toosimilar to play together. On the plus side, henderson made a top class save, odhiambo looked good in the few mins he was on, and the banter with the stanley keeper was top drawer! All in all, a good evening and a good result, just a shame about the performance.

What pisses me off the most about tonights performance is that the whole game Fryatt was doing shit all on the wing (because he isn't a left winger) but we had Levi on the bench!

beaumontfox

I'm getting fed up of the excuse of the team needing to gel now.

Man City had 8 new players in their starting line-up on satdee, they wouldn't have had many more games pre-season than us to familiarise themselves with their teammates(if indeed they had more).

Oooh, and from what I saw on the highlights they didn't looked disjointed and lose.....

I'm still narked off about watching another shite performance even after getting some kip, so apologies for looking at it all pessimistically!

volpeazzurro

Interesting reports on a 'win' against the mighty Accrington Stanley!

Who?

Exactly!

I can only presume that MA was deliberatly playing people out of position for fitness reasons, though I thought that was what pre-season was for. However, my preference is for round pegs in round holes i.e. Porter on left if he's in MA's plans and, if a 'poacher' like Fryatt needs a game, play him in his right position where he might score a confidence boosting goal. By all means alternate him with DJ or whoever needs a game in their rightful striking role. A goal for any forward surely gives them confidence whoever they're playing against and logically, its got to be somewhat easier to score against Accrington than Championship opposition. If Odihambo is a right winger (I don't know his best position or much about him sorry), then try him there if he's in this seasons plans. Defenders need to practice defending, and strikers striking, a winger doesn't benefit from a spell in goal just for the experience does he? Every game is important and we've had a succession of managers with illogical team selections i.e. Levein playing people out of position, and the other MA who would play 2 wingers and take the recognised strikers off, or bring big strikers on and take the wingers off! I sometimes think we make an easy game complex.

Cheers!

Matt_B

Arthuuuuurrr!

What annoyed me was when we resorted to the Henderson Hoof towards De Vries. When will he learn?!

Matt_B

Also Donald Barron, our Video Analyst, slipped on a scaffolding pole while on his way up to the gantry where he does his video work and fell about 25 feet head-first and smashed his head on a path.

He's got seven stitches across his nose and forehead and if the truth be known, he is lucky to be alive.

Ouch!

Hammond Organ

Will we ever get a manager who is a 'square pegs, square holes' person? It may be alright for Man Utd/Chelsea to have a striker playing wide left, or a left winger playing up front, but these are quality players at the top of their game. Our lot cannot claim to be that...

4-4-2

How did Sunderland start last season? Where did they finish the season? Where did they start this season?

I'm sick of the negativity. Yes, we didn't win on Saturday but I think we did a decent job. At least we're making chances now rather than the lack of anything last season. I don't think that was our top gear and I think we still have at least 1 more to go up. If we're able to do that then I think we have the making of a decent side. It's not going to be an overnight thing. Yes, we have brought in a lot of players and they do need time to gel. They do. The amount of shit we have had over the years since O'Neil left is staggering. Remember the "fans" chanting for him to "**** off". And then look what happened. Lennon who? Izzet who?

Last edited:

homer

How did Sunderland start last season? Where did they finish the season? Where did they start this season?

Their transformation started when they opted to replace a man who couldn't manage a Championship football team to save his feckin' life (and was obviously and patently out of his depth - something he admitted himself), with one that actually could

So yes, the comparison might well be appropriate

Hazzman

Their transformation started when they opted to replace a man who couldn't manage a Championship football team to save his feckin' life (and was obviously and patently out of his depth - something he admitted himself), with one that actually could

You failed to also mentioned Keane' prowess in the transfer market, superbly building together a team with Niall's millions. Whilst our transfer policy seems somewhat skewed.

Steven

Niall Quinn was clever enough and ego less enough to understand that he needed to move on. Will MM show the same sort of qualities or is the MM method a bit more scatter gun in the hope that something might work? :102:

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
Niall Quinn was clever enough and ego less enough to understand that he needed to move on. Will MM show the same sort of qualities or is the MM method a bit more scatter gun in the hope that something might work? :102:
Come on Stevo, sort your "M"s from your "A"'s

Granite Fox

Seven Championship sides have been knocked out by lower league opposition so far - City are through, so job done.

We will have to hope that MA2 gets them playing on Saturday though.

Yorkshire Vixen

my dad went and said they were the better team and our passing was erratic and that hendo was motm....but im sure the likes of preston, southampton, stoke, ipswich wouldve settled for a 1-0 victory..a win is a win

Brauny Blue

I'm getting fed up of the excuse of the team needing to gel now.

Man City had 8 new players in their starting line-up on satdee, they wouldn't have had many more games pre-season than us to familiarise themselves with their teammates(if indeed they had more).

Oooh, and from what I saw on the highlights they didn't looked disjointed and lose.....

I'm still narked off about watching another shite performance even after getting some kip, so apologies for looking at it all pessimistically!

I dont see how you expect the team to start performing instantly like a Rolls Royce when its only the 2nd competitive game they have played. With all due respect Man City have spent millions more than us on players, and have probaly purchased far better quality than what we have. I'm sure most of your frustration can be linked to 3 or more years of abject failure, and the teasing thought that we might just have an opportunity to start moving forward. Given this opportunity, it appears that some people on here are more impatient than ever and think that because we have spent money that everything will automatically fall in to place. Lets face it we hardly look promotion material with the 11 signings so far purchased. Of those 11 how many will definately be good acquisitions, imo i'm only confident about 3 and the rest are just of a standard that we already have. I respect your opinion BF, and for a person who travels around following our team like i used to, then your in a better position to vent your disappointment than me. Just to say though that i 'm trying to be realistic and believe that good times are closer than you think, after all it is early days

SwedeFox

It's two very different views of the game, reading here and Martin's "speech". At least we won which Southampton, S****horpe, Ipswich, Colchester, Stoke, Preston didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669