Adams to Leyton Orient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the collective noun a "set" of wankers?

No idea. A customer of mine used it the other day to describe the company I used to work for (the one that made me redundant in 2008), and it sounded right so I've adopted it.

:018: Fewer.

I need a new hobby.

The dictionary definition of less is
1. Not as great in amount or quantity.

The number of times I have seen Adams this season is not as great in amount oir quantity as the number of times I saw him last season. Therefore "less" is a correct word.
"Fewer" would also do but seems to me less elegant.

The number of times I have seen Adams this season is not as great in amount oir quantity as the number of times I saw him last season. Therefore "less" is a correct word.

"Less" is indeed a correct word, just not in that sentence. Some useful reading:

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/amount.html

In this context you are not writing about an 'amount' as such but a number, thus 'less' is indeed non standard grammatically and it should, as corrected, read 'fewer'. Sorry.

In this context you are not writing about an 'amount' as such but a number, thus 'less' is indeed non standard grammatically and it should, as corrected, read 'fewer'. Sorry.

But DG's dictionary definition could be said to be misleading, as we are indeed referring to a quantity.

But DG's dictionary definition could be said to be misleading, as we are indeed referring to a quantity.

Yes but a quantity can be both measured and enumerated, if it can be counted, use fewer. If it can be measured, use less.

eg Less than a foot.
Or
Fewer than twelve inches.

Supermarkets are among the worst offenders with their checkouts for "10 items or less".

Last edited:
Yes but a quantity can be both measured and enumerated, if it can be counted, use fewer. If it can be measured, use less.

eg Less than a foot.
Or
Fewer than twelve inches.

Supermarkets are among the worst offenders with their checkouts for "10 items or less".

:018: No!

He's already back? Was that the end of his loan or have we recalled him?

I'm suprised either way, thought he'd stay there longer.

*Realised I could've just looked at the start of this thread! 1 month loan, so was due to come back. Suprised it's not been extended though

Last edited:
We need Adams back to provide cover having lost 1 number in Fryatt.
our squad isn't all that big and with the new more fluid 4-3-3 formation we need a few attacking wide rights in the squad in case of injury/loss of form.
N'Guessan, Oakley and Gallagher can and will play it - but with Fryatt out and Gallagher playing more up front - we've only got 2 players who like to play there.
So let's hope Adams is up for contributing to the run in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00