Am I on a different planet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brauny Blue said:
Feck me:icon_lol: :038:
He's had over a year BB, fecking sweaty gimp. If we don't get 6 or more points over xmas he can feck off....
I've had enough..

Last edited:
MKFox said:
Highland will have come out by end of jan...

Lets get it back onto homosexual references instead of this intellectual debate on our current managers abilities !

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Definately, agree with you there, it is just fustrating, IMO we have a good squad, one that should be doing better, so you do start to question whether the manager is the right man to maximise the talent at his disposable. It is one thing to be a good judge of a player, which on the whole I think Levein is pretty good at, but then having the ability to mould that into a competitive unit with the mentality and belief to consistently win football matches is a whole different propostition, and that is where my doubts lie with Levein at present, although I really do hope he proves me wrong.

There is only so much CL can do once the players cross the line. They have to stand up and be counted as well. In the Stoke match i thought for the large part we got most things right and outplayed them, only to be let down by a few defenders who last their heads for 5 mins. I left for home that night wondering how the hell had we managed to snatch a defeat when for most parts we looked the more likely winners.

Brauny Blue said:
There is only so much CL can do once the players cross the line. They have to stand up and be counted as well. In the Stoke match i thought for the large part we got most things right and outplayed them, only to be let down by a few defenders who last their heads for 5 mins. I left for home that night wondering how the hell had we managed to snatch a defeat when for most parts we looked the more likely winners.

Again I agree, I have to admit that on too many occasions, since Levein has been in charge, I have walked away after a match thinking how have we just dropped points against that team or this team, but for me that comes back to instilling a strong mental attitude, for me we are a soft touch, we need to instill some fight and never say die spirit and I am afraid that motivation must come from the manager, he has stated that the players he has signed are hungry, I dont buy into that at present, too many of our players appear to be in a comfort zone, similar to last season under Adams, there doesnt appear to be any fear of failure, and again that must come from the manager.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Again I agree, I have to admit that on too many occasions, since Levein has been in charge, I have walked away after a match thinking how have we just dropped points against that team or this team, but for me that comes back to instilling a strong mental attitude, for me we are a soft touch, we need to instill some fight and never say die spirit and I am afraid that motivation must come from the manager, he has stated that the players he has signed are hungry, I dont buy into that at present, too many of our players appear to be in a comfort zone, similar to last season under Adams, there doesnt appear to be any fear of failure, and again that must come from the manager.

Once again there is only so much CL can do regarding the teams mental belief.The players themselves must dig deep and those with ambition will push themselves as far as they can.Some players are born winners and some are happy to live in the comfort zone.Its the type of thing that probaly seperates the Roy Keanes from the rest of his team mates. We probaly have a team where you could put various players into certain groups. Some have potential to player at the higher level, some are only ever going to be championship players, and others are playing to their max just to compete at this level. Its upto CL to try and eliminate the weaker players and if he can do so then the results will come. IMO when the team starts to string a few mini unbeaten runs then he will be close to cracking it. For the record the emphasis on here for people is changing to the criticism of the results but not so much the performances, that in itself tells me that we are moving in the right direction

Feriol said:
I have to question how that will happen without goals. but i don't just blame the strikers, we create few chances where you would 'expect' our strikers to score. there was only a couple of good saves from their keeper, the rest you would expect him to save. With hammonds pace we should play more through balls (although crew were quite deep) and its okay having smith going passed defenders, but if he crosses high you cant expect hume and hammond to win too many.

I Think sylla played quite well today, he ran more than i'm used to seeing, and he came inside, either himself or played the ball inside, crossing would have been wasted with our strikers.

While Gudjonsson is playing well he isn't creative enough for a killer ball.

I think you hit the right spot there, was crewe's goal defendable? Ok we should have buried more goal's but we need to stop conceding every game, crewe should not have scored at the walkers stadium. I thoink our scoring record has been respectable and on par with the top 3 teams over the last 6 games its our defense that is the problem.

highland fox said:
Just because I don't want Levein sacked doesn't mean I'm wearing Rose tinted Spectacles,I'm well aware the team isn't producing the Results and it isn't good enough but I believe the performances have improved in the last month although the Results haven't.It's opinions and mine is that we will improve as the season progresses and next season will be Cl's make or break.However we don't have a divine right to be in the Premier League just because we used to be.I'll go and polish my Rose tinted Spectacles now....

personally I couldnt give a rats ass how we play if we have 90% possesion etc. if the results arent there then the rest means NOTHING.

Brauny Blue said:
But if we were relegated ( which we won't be) and bounced back with a potent and strong championship side within the next two years, wouldn't it be worth it?:102: . The thing that puzzles me is that too many people think we have a god given rite to be challenging for promotion, and thats the type of attitude that will often end in disappointment and failure. We have to be realistic, we have very little money and post administration the club is slowly trying to find its feet again. Its no good dwelling on what we were 5 years ago because todays climate is so far removed from the previous era.

Why wont we be relegated? (look at last 8 results)

Chrysalis said:
Why wont we be relegated? (look at last 8 results)

Or the last 16 results or the results over the last 23 games, whichever way you look at it, and this is a worrying trend, our results do not appear to be getting any better, despite the better performnces, and if we cannot win many games when we are playing well, then heaven help us if we go through a bad run. As for that winning mentality, surely that is down the manager he must breed that in all of his players, IMO there is really only Hume, Joey, Stearman and Paddy Mac, they always give their all and show they genuinely care, the rest IMO are a mixed bag and that is what seperates us from the teams higher up the league.

In terms of quality and performance, we are not far away, but it this mental approach which is holding us back, for a team that can perform at the levels we have over recent weeks, our win ratio is a disgrace and worryingly I dont believe we can win an ugly match or when we play badly, which is the hallmark of a good side and will be the real sign of improvement.

PFKAKTF FOX said:

But defenders that have limited experience at this level (ie Gerrbrand, McCarthy, Sheehan, Stearman) will make mistakes and lose concentration for periods while they settle and gain matches.

Dublin played in that game and was ok for 60mins till his legs went and then he could barely run let alone jump and win headers.

As for fear of failure, I would say there is too much, thats why we have had such a poor run of results at home because the players feel too much pressure to win. I don't think I could fault commitment of the players this season as a whole, individuals like Sylla will always play the same way but in terms of application, in general the players have given there all for the games I've been to.

Last edited:
Lets make no mistake, relegation would be a disaster for all concerned. We must avoid it at all costs. I think the point many of us are trying to make is that we want to survive in this division, above all else at the moment. Anything over and above that - great I'll have some. I agree things are getting better overall, and long term planning and building is the right thing to do, but we must stay in this division to do it or lots of things will become very difficult. e.g. keeeping/attracting the best players we can, attendances, league income, etc.etc. No we don't have a god given right to anything, but we can earn the right. The point made earlier about the players having the responsibility is spot on, they are the only ones who can change the results, but CL has the responsibility to ensure they have the fire in their belly to do it. Want it boys, want it bad.

Dunc said:
But defenders that have limited experience at this level (ie Gerrbrand, McCarthy, Sheehan, Stearman) will make mistakes and lose concentration for periods while they settle and gain matches.

Dublin played in that game and was ok for 60mins till his legs went and then he could barely run let alone jump and win headers.

As for fear of failure, I would say there is too much, thats why we have had such a poor run of results at home because the players feel too much pressure to win. I don't think I could fault commitment of the players this season as a whole, individuals like Sylla will always play the same way but in terms of application, in general the players have given there all for the games I've been to.

Good post Dunc, I agree with you that inexperience will play a part in our what has been an inconsistent start to the season, and I am not doubting that in effort the majority of players have given as much as possible, however there are a few notable exceptions, but what concerns me is the lack of leaders, and that is where my comfort zone comment comes from, there still appears to be a number of players who seem to shy away from taking responsibility, and I include the senior pro's in that as well, the very fact we have no settled skipper adds testament to that.

As for your views on our home form, I feel that on the whole apart from a minority the supporters have been fairly paitent at home games, granted the atmosphere has left a lot to be desired but I havent sensed to many negative vibes. Also it can hardly be levelled as an excuse, bearing in mind the fact we have won only one away league game in over 12 months.

I want Levein to succeed, I like what he has done, but I realise that unless he can start to win football matches, all that good work will go to waste and if the board dont start to see an improvement in results then I fear the sands of time will run out for Craig. Relegation would be a disaster and whilst my heart says we are too good to go down, my head, based on our results is telling me we can. You can only hide behind back luck, inexperience and a new squad of players for so long, Craig needs to get some results to enable him to continue the good work he has done in reshaping the squad, too many more poor results and his position will become untenable.

Chuck T Masala said:
I concur PF, dead on.

Thanks Chuck T, IMO, a great number of fans would be very disappointed to see Levein fail, myself included, we can all see what he is trying to do and to be honest I dont believe their is many fans if any, who have bought into and appreciate his philosphy on how our club should be run, the problem is we are in real danger of being relegated, based on current results, and many of us are concerned, no in fact shitting ourselves over the potential consequences, as Chuck has stated the fall in revenue, gates and off the field activities plus the high running costs of a club with our facilities, league 1 could just send us back to the brink of obilivion, the players we have many of which would leave through choice and or necessity and the long term implications would far outweigh any benefits to be gained from Craig's current planning.

Spot of PF. What CL is attempting is starting to show on the pitch - we're actually starting to play teams off the park which I love to see.

The important question is, whatever is responsable for our poor results, is Levien the man to sort it out? and can he do it in time to avoid a relegation battle?

I Think that leveins long term plans are great, and will certainly benefit the club IF we can secure our championship status.

here are our pts per month

August P6 - 6Pts 1 point per game

September P5 - 8Pts 1.6 points per game

October P5 - 11Pts 2.2 points per game

Novemer P4 - 5pts 1.25 points per game.

December (so far) P3 - 1pt 0.33 points per game

(average 1.1 points per game throughout the season)

our points ratio reached a pinacle. a very respectable 2.2 points per game in october but the alarming thing is they are now on the decline. Levein needs to show he can improve things if he is to keep is job.

alex said:
Spot of PF. What CL is attempting is starting to show on the pitch - we're actually starting to play teams off the park which I love to see.

Still losing away, drawing at home Alex.

Been trying to bite my lip on this because its the same old topic dressed in a different way but I can't hold it anymore. Anybody who thinks we are going down is a cretin.

Yes we are 5 points off relegation but we are 10 points off play offs witha game on hand on most sides. I haven't seen anyone play us off the park. I am absolutely convinced we won't go down becase that would mean Plymouth getting 2 more points than us AND Brighton getting 4 more points than us with one less fixture AND Sheff Wednesday or Crewe getting 6 more points than us with one less fixture.

Anyone who wants Levein out needs a slap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669