Anyone know where i can get free legal help online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnski

Anyone know anywhere that can help?? I beleive i have been unfairly dismissed from work, i was sacked because i had been paid to much fuel allowance for working at a different branch. Which i did not know i had never been told how it is worked out or the policy explained to me i had 2 different managers telling me different things and when i beleived i had been overpaid i even questioned the manager which usually pays me but she just told me her way was right and didnt say anything about the extra money i had received i just want to know if i have grounds to appeal and take it further as they never explained anything to me and i was just expected to know?

Anyone know anywhere that can help?? I beleive i have been unfairly dismissed from work, i was sacked because i had been paid to much fuel allowance for working at a different branch. Which i did not know i had never been told how it is worked out or the policy explained to me i had 2 different managers telling me different things and when i beleived i had been overpaid i even questioned the manager which usually pays me but she just told me her way was right and didnt say anything about the extra money i had received i just want to know if i have grounds to appeal and take it further as they never explained anything to me and i was just expected to know?

How long had you worked there and did you have an employment contract?

Get down the citizen's advice bureau, can't hurt. Even if they can't help you, they'll be able to point you in the right direction no doubt.

how long had you worked there?

does it say anything about travel in your contract, or on the intranet?

did you get a warning? did you get the chance to repay the expenses?

is it a big company?

When were you sacked? There's a three month time limit on taking action, which can only be extended by a further three months on application, and with good reasons.

If you're within the time limit, contact your local CAB or ACAS. Both have websites with useful information that should help you initially.

You could also search Google for employment lawyers who offer services on a conditional fee arrangement (no win, no fee). There are some about.

Leesoh..

can you represent yourself?

much as I love giving people a grand to write a couple of letters, I was wondering if I could skip that bit (if such an occasion were to arise *ahem*)

I know it's a bit late in this case, but it does illustrate how sensible it is for people to join a union. You have a right to be represented by a union rep at internal proceedings, and they will also have a legal assistance scheme for their members. We see questions like this quite often on here, and in a climate where many employers will be only too glad to find a pretext to get rid of people it's likely to get worse. Add to that the imminent changes to the employment tribunal system that will make it near impossible for many people to take cases, and the case for getting the protection of a union is obvious

I think we get a free legal helpline with our house insurance and another with my working men's club membership. The wife pays a few pence a week at work for a similar scheme. Are you sure you're not in some sort of similar scheme?

if you have legal help with your insurance...there may be a clause that says you have to take a certain amount if offered (as happened at my work)

I've been with them 6 months yes I had a contract there's nothing about travel in it im going CAB apparently I canny do them for unfair dismissal because I've not been there a year. It is a big DIY company

I'm surprised to hear that a company is paying mileage for employees to get to work, I always work on the principle that commuting costs are the employees problem but I work from home now so they don't affect me.

Leesoh..can you represent yourself?much as I love giving people a grand to write a couple of letters, I was wondering if I could skip that bit (if such an occasion were to arise *ahem*)
You're allowed to represent yourself at an employment tribunal but not in court.

You're allowed to represent yourself at an employment tribunal but not in court.

Nonsense. Of course you're allowed represent yourself in court. Whether it would be advisable or not is a different issue.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to hear that a company is paying mileage for employees to get to work

They weren't paying him to get to work. They were paying him an allowance because he was being required to work away from his normal place of work.

I cannot take them to an employment tribunal as iv not been there a year. I'm going to try the CAB see if they can help to he honest I dont want my job back or compensating just to clear my name.

Regardless of length of service you will have the opportunity to appeal against their decision.

When you queried being overpaid, I presume this was done verbally? In hindsight you should have done this in writing, however we all know hindsight is a wonderful thing after an event.

The current Mrs NF works in HR and is 18 months through her CIPD qualification. She says it appears they may not have followed the ACAS code of practice. This isn't a legal requirement however businesses are advised to follow this to prevent any disputes over a dismissal.

I'll PM you my email address if you could maybe scan over a copy of your dismissal letter. I wouldn't bother with ACAS at the minute as they wouldn't be any real help until after an appeal is heard.

Leesoh..

can you represent yourself?

much as I love giving people a grand to write a couple of letters, I was wondering if I could skip that bit (if such an occasion were to arise *ahem*)

Of course you can represent yourself, even in court! I'm dealing with litigants in person (the technical name) on a near daily basis!

As Macky points out, it may not be advisable to represent yourself in some situations. However, there are occasions where being the underdog is more likely to help you. In typical lawyer fashion, I'm going to say those occasions are very much dependent on the facts of the particular issue ;)

you've got piss all chance of anything if you've been there six months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670