Are stalled contract talks now starting to affect performances on the field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget the boss.

That's the contract I want signed.

So what would you offer NP then? Most new Premier League managers are sacked in less than 6 months. The record of promoted managers over recent seasons is the same, irrespective of how well regarded they were at the point of achieving promotion.

Our owners aren't likely to sit back and allow NP to manage us to relegation, so if we're struggling, I'm sure they'll sack him and try to find someone else. The dynamic completely changes in the Premier League for a manager and NP starts again with no pedigree as a manager there. He's proved himself this season at Championship level, but then so did Mackay and Holloway last season or Warnock and Adkins the season before and it didn't do them any good.

At the point that promotion is achieved, I'd offer NP a one year deal with big bonus's and additional years based on performance. I certainly wouldn't chuck a three year deal at him.

BN,

Agree 100%. Offer a rolling one year contract with very large bonus plans.

That said. If it absolutely takes a 3 year deal to ensure he is at the helm for the beginning of our next campaign then so be it.

As you correctly said previously, the owners are minted so a pay off might not scare them much.

I was not a Pearson fan and it has taken a long time for me to admit he is doing a good job. The owners would be crazy to replace him.

God save the Pearson from fools who constantly predict his and our downfall

I think it's now time to offer Schmeichel and Nugent new deals. Both will be good enough for us next season and it would be foolish to lose them because we faff about too long. We can plan our wage budget in Premier League terms so offering them equivalent or improved terms shouldn't be an issue.

I'd also offer Wasyl an extra year and maintain a one year only offer to Dyer. The rest that go out of contract should be released with Waghorn, Danns and St. Ledger being particular financial drains on us.

If we then manage to offload Futacs, Gallagher and Bakayogo, we'll be well set.

Unless they have automatic contract offers if we go up, neither the players nor the club seem particularly bothered at present (unlike Wes situation).

I would like us to employ a plan of longevity,

Any manager could take us down, Pearson can 100% get us back up. I would love a legacy to be born out of this unbelievable season.

Stick with NP through anything other than a Derbyesque embarrassment.

So, are the stalled contract talks affecting performances on the field or not?

So what would you offer NP then? Most new Premier League managers are sacked in less than 6 months. The record of promoted managers over recent seasons is the same, irrespective of how well regarded they were at the point of achieving promotion.

Our owners aren't likely to sit back and allow NP to manage us to relegation, so if we're struggling, I'm sure they'll sack him and try to find someone else. The dynamic completely changes in the Premier League for a manager and NP starts again with no pedigree as a manager there. He's proved himself this season at Championship level, but then so did Mackay and Holloway last season or Warnock and Adkins the season before and it didn't do them any good.

At the point that promotion is achieved, I'd offer NP a one year deal with big bonus's and additional years based on performance. I certainly wouldn't chuck a three year deal at him.

Or...After being promoted Pearson signs one or two top quality players and forges a team which pushes the top 8 drawing envious glances from teams such as Spurs, Villa and Newcastle who have all started badly. Our failure to ofter him a longer term contract makes him feel disillusion, particularly after promotion, thus he leaves us for one of the mentioned teams. We go into free fall and get relegated.

Or...After being promoted Pearson signs one or two top quality players and forges a team which pushes the top 8 drawing envious glances from teams such as Spurs, Villa and Newcastle who have all started badly. Our failure to ofter him a longer term contract makes him feel disillusion, particularly after promotion, thus he leaves us for one of the mentioned teams. We go into free fall and get relegated.

Nice story but, as we've found out several times in the past, contracts mean feck all to managers if a bigger fish comes calling. It wouldn't matter a shiny shite to NP what the length of his contract was if a club of bigger standing and with bigger potential came calling. After all, NP engineered his way out of Hull to come back didn't he?

So, are the stalled contract talks affecting performances on the field or not?
It patently is, we'd probably be occupying a relegation spot if Smeichs and the Nuge had been offered renewed terms

Stick with NP through anything other than a Derbyesque embarrassment.

This is an extremely naive perspective.

There is no way our owners (or indeed most of our fans) would stand back and allow us to tumble back down after the pain and misery of getting up in the first place. After ten years of watching mostly shite sides in a perpetually shite league, I don't want to return for a while thank you. There is far too much riding on us staying up for NP to have a hope of staying if we're stinking the league out in late October.

And quite right too. NP himself would expect nothing less.

There is no way our owners (or indeed most of our fans) would stand back and allow us to tumble back down after the pain and misery of getting up in the first place. After ten years of watching mostly shite sides in a perpetually shite league, I don't want to return for a while thank you. There is far too much riding on us staying up for NP to have a hope of staying if we're stinking the league out in late October.

So we get in a foreign big name manager in the desperate hope he keeps us up, sadly it doesn't work (Cardiff, Fulham) and we get relegated anyway with a manager who knows **** all of Championship football and commands no respect of the current bunch of players.

We eventually end up in league 1 again and dream of the days Nigel Pearson (currently managing Everton) turned the crumbling KP into a fortress. Meanwhile we have been sold back to uncle Milan.

I hope that this club has learnt the hard way that:

1). Money doesn't guarantee success.
2). Sticking with a manager in spite of relative lack of success can pay dividends.

As I currently type this I can't think of another manager I would prefer to be in charge than NP.

Not quite as black and white as that.
If the fixture list chucks up Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Man U, Man c as our 1st 6 games, not even the most optimistic of us could see us anywhere but bottom afterwards!

Hopefully, when we get there, the fixture list will be a bit kinder :)

Not quite as black and white as that.
If the fixture list chucks up Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Man U, Man c as our 1st 6 games, not even the most optimistic of us could see us anywhere but bottom afterwards!

Hopefully, when we get there, the fixture list will be a bit kinder :)

I always think it is better to start against the big guns. It usually takes a bit of time for them to get up and running. I remember we had an incredibly hard run under O'Neill during one season and we came out unbeaten. I am sure someone can remind me of the sequence of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566