Post Match Arsenal 4 Leicester 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to agree that he didn’t really do much wrong for most the goals he has conceded apart from the howler at the Emirates.

But at the same time, he hasn’t really done much right with them either. Has he even made a decent save yet?

I reckon stick you in goal and we’d have conceded the same 6 goals.
He’s made a couple of good stops and he’s commanded his area well. I’m not saying he’s a great keeper, he may not be, but there isn’t the evidence that he will be the disaster some are panicking about.

As for putting me in goal, my fat arse would have stopped at least three of them simply by limiting the width of the goal. My cricket whites are being held together at the waist with a belt only, this season. **** lockdown.

He’s made a couple of good stops and he’s commanded his area well. I’m not saying he’s a great keeper, he may not be, but there isn’t the evidence that he will be the disaster some are panicking about.

As for putting me in goal, my fat arse would have stopped at least three of them simply by limiting the width of the goal. My cricket whites are being held together at the waist with a belt only, this season. **** lockdown.
Excellent, you can be our fourth number one.

Last week we were the top midland side - now we are the bottom. Need to give southampton a good thrashing to claw our way back upwards again.

My primary way of judging a keeper is how quick he is to dive. That fraction of a second makes all the difference.

Ward's reactions are just not quick enough for him to be anything more than a back up. I suspect that he knows this himself as he's spent most of his career happy to fulfill this role.

The reason I prefer Iversen is because he reacts quicker. He will make mistakes just like Ward will, but he'll make more saves.

I'm utterly bewildered at our seeming acceptance of Ward as our first choice. It's a decision that will cost us 4-5 places in the league on its own.

Couldn't agree more. Except the bit about Iversen, since I've not seen him play.

But about Ward, exactly.

Kasper had his gaps and maybe was starting to decline from where he was, but his reactions, agility and positioning make him a great shot stopper and I'm yet to see anything to suggest Ward can get close to that.

It's not about Ward making glaring "mistakes" but his goalkeeping ability simply isn't as good as Kasper's or other top (or even good) goalkeepers in this league - and that will cost us too many points this season.

Their third was a clanger. No doubt about it. The rest of them and both of Brentford’s goals were nothing at all to do with keeper error. Not a single poster, not one, would have been pointing the finger at Schmiechel for any of them other than the howler.

No one can defend him dropping the ball like a dickhead and gifting them a goal but blaming the poor bastard for every goal we concede is just ludicrous hyperbole.

I've answered some of this in the message I've just posted above, but to the point in bold - that's because Kasper wouldn't be getting beaten by some of those efforts.

Maybe I'm being harsh on Ward for Arsenal's 4th and Brentford's equaliser. I think Kasper may have got to Arsenal's 4th. I think he would've at least dived for Brentford's equaliser...

For Arsenal's 1st, Ward was effectively lobbed in a crowded penalty area from about 10 yards out. No way he should've been as far off his line as he was. I don't feel like you'd see Schmeichel caught like that.

For Brentford's 2nd, it's not so much that Ward was beaten, it was that he was rooted to the spot and wouldn't have even been near it if it was 2 yards further inside the post.

It's the reactions and agility that concern me more than the goals conceded.

Ward might not be an awful keeper, but anyone who thinks we've not significantly downgraded is kidding themselves - otherwise Ward would've been playing more before now. He simply will not make the key saves Kasper has been capable of making.

Their third was a clanger. No doubt about it. The rest of them and both of Brentford’s goals were nothing at all to do with keeper error. Not a single poster, not one, would have been pointing the finger at Schmiechel for any of them other than the howler.

No one can defend him dropping the ball like a dickhead and gifting them a goal but blaming the poor bastard for every goal we concede is just ludicrous hyperbole.
you can apportion blame however, do not forget Fofana getting in his way, I am confident he would have collected it without a defender in the mix.

Okay. Let's dissect this.

Iheanacho has spent the best part of his entire time with us being absolutely ****ing awful. There have been numerous games, too many to count, when he has actually been of more comic value than footballing value. He is absolutely not the answer to any of our problems. He did well for the goal yesterday and then played like a complete clown again. He's is never, ever, ever going to be a decent PL striker.
You make valid points but I feel a different manager with a bit of confidence in him could get a much better tune out of him. Playing him and Vardy up front has often worked well and I don't know why we don't use this approach more often with our lack of wide players. Iheanacho clearly has the talent to be a *decent* PL striker.

you can apportion blame however, do not forget Fofana getting in his way, I am confident he would have collected it without a defender in the mix.
Fofana's made it clear that he's not going for it.
I don't think that can be excused in any way shape or form. Either Ward shouts and claims or he doesn't.

Replays suggest he shouted, but then ****ed it.

I've answered some of this in the message I've just posted above, but to the point in bold - that's because Kasper wouldn't be getting beaten by some of those efforts.

Maybe I'm being harsh on Ward for Arsenal's 4th and Brentford's equaliser. I think Kasper may have got to Arsenal's 4th. I think he would've at least dived for Brentford's equaliser...

For Arsenal's 1st, Ward was effectively lobbed in a crowded penalty area from about 10 yards out. No way he should've been as far off his line as he was. I don't feel like you'd see Schmeichel caught like that.

For Brentford's 2nd, it's not so much that Ward was beaten, it was that he was rooted to the spot and wouldn't have even been near it if it was 2 yards further inside the post.

It's the reactions and agility that concern me more than the goals conceded.

Ward might not be an awful keeper, but anyone who thinks we've not significantly downgraded is kidding themselves - otherwise Ward would've been playing more before now. He simply will not make the key saves Kasper has been capable of making.
Schmeichel and nearly every other keeper in the league would have been beaten by 5 out of the 6 we have conceded. If I were you, I'd watch that Arsenal first goal again.

You make valid points but I feel a different manager with a bit of confidence in him could get a much better tune out of him. Playing him and Vardy up front has often worked well and I don't know why we don't use this approach more often with our lack of wide players. Iheanacho clearly has the talent to be a *decent* PL striker.
Iheanacho clearly has the talent to be an exceptional premier league striker. However, he's less consistent than any player I've ever seen and until he sorts that out, he's practically useless to most clubs unless you're already 3-0 up.
And where did we get him from? Hmm.

Yeah it's difficult isn't it. You're probably on to something; I just get completely frustrated by Iheanacho and his ability to do something great and then look like he's never kicked a ball before almost immediately after.

Although some have said that Kasper was declining in standards towards the end of his tenure it is very difficult to remember mistakes by him that led directly to a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669