Post Match Aston Villa 1 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother-in-law is a football coach to professional level. He's adamant that 'lefties', should never take penalties, something to do with body movement. I thought it was bullshit, but now I'am wondering if he has point, that's three Mahrez has missed, methinks its time for a change.
'

Having a full glass (can really) I suppose we can look at 4 points from 2 away games as a good return. Rather drop points against a relegated side than a competitor too I suppose.

We're managing our way through the matches at the moment. There are too many games for us to go flying out of the traps every match. It simply isn't sustainable or sensible. In addition, our two match winners are well below their best so playing a more adventurous style would currently just lead us to lose games in my opinion.

From Everton onwards, we're doing what we have to in order to maximise our results. That's good management.

What is blindingly obvious is that our back up forward players aren't good enough. I'd also add that we're really missing Schlupp too. He would have offered us a better alternative several times recently.
Exactly, we were never, ever going to be able to play a whole season like we were, especially at this time of year. Those who want us to return to that format should be praying we lose to Spurs.

My brother-in-law is a football coach to professional level. He's adamant that 'lefties', should never take penalties, something to do with body movement. I thought it was bullshit, but now I'am wondering if he has point, that's three Mahrez has missed, methinks its time for a change.
'

I used to rate pens taken by Julian Dicks. Wasn't he left footed?

What did everyone think of Gray when he came on? His first league appearance wasn't it?

I genuinely don't think the fact we didn't 'come flying out of the traps' in the 2nd half had anything to do with our outcome in this game.

3 points were so easily available and we pissed the opportunity up the wall by inviting them onto us for 95% of the half.

I don't understand our approach in the 2nd half from a club that seems so well prepared and thorough in its preparation. We decided to allow an utterly inferior opposition back into the game and then thought we would get back to having a go after they did the inevitable.

I feel for those who paid £41 in all honesty

Exactly, we were never, ever going to be able to play a whole season like we were, especially at this time of year. Those who want us to return to that format should be praying we lose to Spurs.

I'd argue the opposite. We clearly won't be playing a full strength side against Spurs and if we get through we won't do so at Colchester either. These earlier rounds in the cup are a great opportunity for us to keep our squad players match fit.

If we get further we have a dilemma. If we look on for fourth I'd be going for the cup. If third appears likely then the cup can take a back seat.

Third or fifth would be fantastic as either means direct access to the group stages of one of the European competitions. Fourth just gets us a tough draw because of our lack of European competition history and we likely get dumped out before the season is up and running, with nothing tangible to show for what will have been a brilliant season.

W
Those who want us to return to that format should be praying we lose to Spurs.

Why?

We have a large bunch of squad players who need game time.

I'm sure Inler and Benalouane are desperate for more playing time.

It might also do Mahrez good to spend some time getting back to his best in those games and sitting out a couple of league fixtures.

Exactly, we were never, ever going to be able to play a whole season like we were....
That's correct. It still doesn't mean that we cannot or should not criticise performances like Mahrez gave today. He was poor.

I understand the need to manage games in accordance with the duration of the season and the size of the squad but I also understand people's frustration with the total lack of quality we showed in front of goal today. I think it is also fair to question why Mahrez was left on for so long before being replaced by somebody who for weeks has shown he is hopelessly out of form. It doesn't mean that they are 'moaning' or unable to see what a phenomenal season we are having. Each game in isolation.

You can see a number of players look jaded and are possibly operating at 80-85%. In particular Vardy, Kante, Mahrez and Albighton all look a yard or two off their best, under normal circumstances I very much doubt Vardy would have even been considered for selection however our lack of options limits our ability to rotate. Like others have said we are clearly managing our approach and intensity to ensure we don't hit total burn out. For me we need 2-3 decent signings in this window that gives us the opportunity to tweak and freshen things up.

That's correct. It still doesn't mean that we cannot or should not criticise performances like Mahrez gave today. He was poor.

He was. I also thought Drinky, Vardy, Albrighton, Kante etc etc didn't have much that came off today. Was a shit day at the office but given the tough run we've had we can't get too disheartened. We've done enough against Premier League sides in recent weeks that I can't feel too gutted. Our players have a rest until we play Stoke. As its not away or on a Tuesday it should be relatively comfortable. Arse will only draw at best tomorrow.

She also has a Letraset.

And I don't have a sister. Do not judge my brother for his lifestyle choices.
Letraset! Ha ha, forgot all about that!

I think Mahrez finds it more difficult now as teams often close him down quicker and put multiple men on him. Might well be worth considering 'doing a Pearson' every now and then by switching flanks with Albrighton during the half in an attempt to combat this. Worth a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669