Post Match Aston Villa 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me this match was an opportunity to make a real statement that the club, players and manager were going to fight to the very end and to keep our season alive and yet what I witnessed was almost a pitiful surrender. The message I saw was that there is nothing left in the tank, the final straw being why not at least utilise your subs bench ....at least lose trying

Both in tactics and performance we were like a submissive dog, we rolled onto our backs and had our little bellies rubbed by a team who have been the submissive party themselves to nearly all who played against them previously.

We are going down without a whimper. We produce about one win in four.
The owners missed a chance to replace him November/December, but now we are lumbered with him.

I wonder how many will moan about him if we trounce the Championship and bounce straight back?

I wonder how many will moan about him if we trounce the Championship and bounce straight back?

I'm totally sitting on the fence here.

I'm convinced Nigel needs to stay for the remainder of this season - or at least until our fate is decided.
I'm unsure (but slightly warm) as to whether he should be in situ next season if we stay up.
I'm unsure (but slightly warm) to the idea of him staying next season if we are in the Championship.
I'm unsure if he should remain if we regain a place in the Premier at the first attempt.

Jeez, I wish I could make my mind up!

I'm totally sitting on the fence here.

I'm convinced Nigel needs to stay for the remainder of this season - or at least until our fate is decided.
I'm unsure (but slightly warm) as to whether he should be in situ next season if we stay up.
I'm unsure (but slightly warm) to the idea of him staying next season if we are in the Championship.
I'm unsure if he should remain if we regain a place in the Premier at the first attempt.

Jeez, I wish I could make my mind up!
are you sure about that?

Assuming we get relegated (which I think we will), I think the chances of us coming straight back up next season are very slim. I would imagine that many of our better players (Mahrez, Ulloa,Cambiasso, Kramaric etc.) will have clauses in their contracts which will allow them to leave and I don't think the rest of the squad will be good enough. We'll be back operating within FFP rules again so will be limited as to what we can spend so I can see next season being a struggle.

I'm no longer sure that Pearson is the right man for the job and whilst there are no queues of managers that we would like to see take over, could anyone be any worse? ... 9 points from the last 60 and under the current regime I just don't see where the next points are coming from.

I think he's out of his depth, his body language on Sunday was that of a man who had run out of ideas. Time to let someone else have a go.

Assuming we get relegated (which I think we will), I think the chances of us coming straight back up next season are very slim. I would imagine that many of our better players (Mahrez, Ulloa,Cambiasso, Kramaric etc.) will have clauses in their contracts which will allow them to leave and I don't think the rest of the squad will be good enough.

We got promoted last time without Ulloa, Cambiasso and Kramaric, and we had Mahrez for less than half the season.

We'll be back operating within FFP rules again so will be limited as to what we can spend so I can see next season being a struggle.

FFP rules will be massively in our favour next season. We'll have a large parachute payment (£30M?) to spend, which most of the other clubs in the Championship won't have. As long as our players have contracts that mean they're not still getting paid Prem wages after relegation, we should be in a much better position financially than we were two years ago.

We were all over them for most of the first half. Big Was hit the post, and we could have been awarded a (imo soft) penalty. With no goal coming it wasn't unexpected for tails to drop, this is where you see a morale problem resulting from the way the season's gone in general. Having said that, we didn't fold after either goal and even had a grandstand finish thanks to Krameric's goal.
The big problem for me was the shocking set pieces, we had enough corners to put the game to bed within a half hour, but this has been a problem all season long.
I think we're way past the point where a change of management would be likely to make much difference (and I was always rather ambivalent about doing so earlier in the season), but I do think this harks back to a problem some people had identified last season. That is that the coaching team is just too small. The best thing that could be done now, and with an eye on being in either division next season, would be for the club to hire a coach with expertise in this area to work alongside what we already have.

The best thing that could be done now, and with an eye on being in either division next season, would be for the club to hire a coach with expertise in this area to work alongside what we already have.

Mike Stowell is a former goalie but look at our goalkeeping howlers.
Kevin Phillips is a former striker but look at our lack of goals.

Not as easy as that...........

Nigel Pearson is a former TalkSport presenter and look at his media handling, it baffles me.

The odds on us coming straight back are about one in four.

I looked at the list of promotion and relegation to/from the Premier League. Since its inception, 17 out of 62 relegated teams came back at the first time of asking (Including Leicester - twice). Over the last 10 seasons, 7 from 30 have made the immediate return. In percentage terms, that's 27.4% and 23.33% respectively.

Warburton to leave Brentford at end of season. Works well with transfers, spotting talent, overachieved. Previously had dealings with Leicester City. If Pearson was to leave at end of aeason, he would have a strong case.

Warburton to leave Brentford at end of season. Works well with transfers, spotting talent, overachieved. Previously had dealings with Leicester City. If Pearson was to leave at end of aeason, he would have a strong case.

From Wikipedia:

A defender, Warburton began his playing career as an apprentice at Leicester City under Frank McLintock and later dropped into non-league football with Enfield.[4][5] Warburton took a dislike to the methods of McLintock's successor at Leicester, Jock Wallace,[4] later saying "he was a Marine. We had runs on sand-dunes, running until we threw up. I learned a lot from that, never treating a player that way".

Anyone who dissses the Jockmeister can go do one. Not for me.

Can't believe people are saying we were the better team first half. Yes we had better chances but we still couldn't get more than 3 passes together and were never in control of the game apart from maybe a 5 minute spell from 30 mins.

I've always been a massive Pearson fan but that performance on Sunday was indefensible. Even if it was a league game it would have still been bad sitting back almost playing for a point but in a cup game against the second crappest team in the league? No excuses whatsoever.

Last edited:
I've always been a massive Pearson fan but that performance on Sunday was indefensible. Even if it was a league game it would have still been bad sitting back almost playing for a point but in a cup game against the second crappest team in the league? No excuses whatsoever.

If we somehow, against all logic, manage to stay up then I for one will forget all about that abject display!

Next you'll be telling me the best jockeys are former horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566