Barack Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.twf.org/News/Y1998/19980705.html
Article from 1998 which suggests Israeli fancy attacking Iran.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article757224.ece
2005 - The Times publishes an article on the relations between the two countries.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/wo...-says-that-Iran-can-also-be-wiped-off-the-map
Israeli reaction to 'Dinnerjacket''s comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/20/washington/20iran.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
Earlier this year, reports of Israel preparing themselves for attack

Can't find the 2003 article. Some are shamelessly nicked of Wikipedia but I was aware of the Times article.

Iran was previously one of Israel's only pals in the Middle East. However, the Islamic Revolution put a stop to that. Growing jealously over military arsenal and that Israel feel Iran is the most dangerous Arab country.

Last edited:

Which proves that whilst the Americans aren't fully clean from the situation, they will support Israel on it's stance but the USA wouldn't see any blood on it's hands as Israel would be the attacking party.

It's the same with the Russians and Iranians. No doubt Iran receives a tidy sum off the Russians to uptain a nuclear arsenal but you wouldn't say that Israeli's are concerned at night with the threat of the Russians because a country of Russia's status - politically, moneywise and with a few friends in the UN wouldn't dare risk being the direct enemy.

USA wouldn't dare risk being the direct enemy to Iran but it wouldn't mind seeing it hit hard, not under their command however.

US foreign policy for me will never really change. Enemies have been made and will stay the same. Places like Russia still carry the mysteries it did pre-Wall.

Last edited:
Which proves that whilst the Americans aren't fully clean from the situation, they will support Israel on it's stance but the USA wouldn't see any blood on it's hands as Israel would be the attacking party.

It's the same with the Russians and Iranians. No doubt Iran receives a tidy sum off the Russians to uptain a nuclear arsenal but you wouldn't say that Israeli's are concerned at night with the threat of the Russians because a country of Russia's status - politically, moneywise and with a few friends in the UN wouldn't dare risk being the direct enemy.

USA wouldn't dare risk being the direct enemy to Iran but it wouldn't mind seeing it hit hard, not under their command however.

US foreign policy for me will never really change. Enemies have been made and will stay the same. Places like Russia still carry the mysteries it did pre-Wall.

Some good points.

But i stand by my earlier point, that Iran is still as vulnerable to attack from the USA, now Obama is in charge.

Obama on Iran
"Barack Obama will pursue tough, direct diplomacy without preconditions to end the threat from Iran:
Obama and Biden will present the Iranian regime with a clear choice. If Iran abandons its nuclear program and support for terrorism, they would offer incentives like membership in the World Trade Organization. If Iran continues its troubling behavior, Obama and Biden will step up our economic pressure and political isolation."

http://origin.barackobama.com/issues/foreign_policy/

Real guns blazing stuff that

Last edited:
Obama on Iran
"Barack Obama will pursue tough, direct diplomacy without preconditions to end the threat from Iran:
Obama and Biden will present the Iranian regime with a clear choice. If Iran abandons its nuclear program and support for terrorism, they would offer incentives like membership in the World Trade Organization. If Iran continues its troubling behavior, Obama and Biden will step up our economic pressure and political isolation."

http://origin.barackobama.com/issues/foreign_policy/

Real guns blazing stuff that

But that is just electioneering bollocks, it bears no relationship to what will actually happen.

How do you know that? Theres just as much chance of it happening the not happening at this stage you can't just simply dismiss it because of your cynicism. Many people said Obama would never be elected when he first started campaigning.

I'm not surprised by the general reaction on here, knowing as I do now that the standard British opinion is one liberally soaked in institutionalized cynicism and apathy. I used to be saddled with that terrible burden as well until I moved to the States and started to open my mind up a little...

Over here we are quite excited that a genuine change of direction for America, and probably because of it the world at large, could be on the way. I suppose the attitude I have now is the cheesy "yes we can", but it does make for a happier, more fulfilling life. You should try it!

But I guess you'll all simply dismiss that as naive, in the standard cynical British way. And that's fair enough - you're entitled to your overwhelming negativity...

:)

There are many things I like about america (well mostly the sports) but it'd be nice if the average american got his head out of his arse and realised that there is a world outside of the U.S. (not just canada) and that they at least learned where it was. :icon_wink

Easy, because he's a politician.

Exactly. Equally, there's as much chance of it not happening.

No politician in the history of the planet has ever upheld campaign promises. What makes you think he'll be any different?

Because he's black?

Because he's black?

Well apparently, that seems to be the most important factor.

It's enough to make you burst into uncontrollable sobbing on international TV, it really is. :icon_roll

Well apparently, that seems to be the most important factor.

It's enough to make you burst into uncontrollable sobbing on international TV, it really is. :icon_roll

You're not prepared to accept that there is the possibility of change though, your cynicism is as bad as the overwhelming misplaced positivity.

There is always the possibility of change. for the good or for the bad.

You're not prepared to accept that there is the possibility of change though, your cynicism is as bad as the overwhelming misplaced positivity.

If somebody could outline what 'change' might possibly entail, then I might give it some consideration.

My cynicism isn't baseless, the ridiculous emotional hype is.

If somebody could outline what 'change' might possibly entail, then I might give it some consideration.

My cynicism isn't baseless, the ridiculous emotional hype is.

I thought Ben highlighted what he thought would change with regards foreign policy in particular?

I'm not qualified to comment, I don't follow it indepth.

I thought Ben highlighted what he thought would change with regards foreign policy in particular?

Just campaign bollocks and no real change from what their existing policy already is.

Easy, because he's a politician.

Exactly. Equally, there's as much chance of it not happening.

No politician in the history of the planet has ever upheld campaign promises. What makes you think he'll be any different?
Just because they haven't upheld all of them doesn't mean they haven't upheld some of them. Obama is likely to fall short on his economic promises, but i'm optimistic about his foreign policy plans. Your own personal views can't discredit that.

Just because they haven't upheld all of them doesn't mean they haven't upheld some of them. Obama is likely to fall short on his economic promises, but i'm optimistic about his foreign policy plans. Your own personal views can't discredit that.

Can't discredit what?? :102:

I remain to be convinced, there is absolutely **** all evidence that he will be anything different to what has gone before, I hope I'm wrong but at this stage there is nothing whatsoever to base any optimism on.

he's black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00