Speculation Beckford to Bolton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't surpirse me - there's no way that they were ever going to pay the full 50 marbles

Think we may have to settle for around 30

Doesn't surpirse me - there's no way that they were ever going to pay the full 50 marbles

Think we may have to settle for around 30

Perhaps some extra performance based marbles and marbles in instalments.

I'd imagine that they weren't willing to match our asking price so are trying to force our hand through the media.

No way Beckford will be here next year, rightly or wrongly, as if Pearson was going, I would have expected him to have been told by now in my opinion.

That said, if negotiations have stopped, perhaps Pearson is planning to try and bring Beckford back as a good player for us. You never know!

I really do not want to start the speculation again, but IF this is true, it does question NP's future..... :102:

Wishful thinking on your behalf TOF.
Just let it go, he's here next season.
Let's get behind the team & manager in unison instead of some looking for something that isn't there.

Wishful thinking on your behalf TOF.
Just let it go, he's here next season.
Let's get behind the team & manager in unison instead of some looking for something that isn't there.

I think that you are correct but, as a club, they have hardly built Beckford's reputation, I would have thought that they would pretty much take whatever they can get to take him off our wage bill.

I think that you are correct but, as a club, they have hardly built Beckford's reputation, I would have thought that they would pretty much take whatever they can get to take him off our wage bill.

Beckford = injury prone; not particularly motivated and very doubtful if he wanted to join the club in the first place.

Whatever, the LM prints if and when he does leave, I believe the reality will be he will go for next to nothing and whatever very modest fee is agreed will be linked to appearances.

However, I think he is better than some of our other "striker" options and would have been useful at the end of next season.

My guess is that he will go this summer irrespective of fee offered simply because the club are committed to reducing the wage structure. Its just a question of Bolton or another club being able to get him to accept whatever wages they are prepared to pay.

Beckford = not particularly motivated

Not withstanding the fact that a bumper wage packet should ensure maximum commitment,I I still wonder about the fans' effect on the player's level of motivation. There were several occasions when it was obvious that he had a problem with sections of our support, none more clear than the incident as the players were leaving the pitch at half-time at Barnsley.

Although it's too late to worry about this in relation to this player, I believe it is a serious concern for the future chances of the club.

Redditch Fox said:
My guess is that he will go this summer irrespective of fee offered simply because the club are committed to reducing the wage structure.

Just another reminder if reminder is needed that the departure of Beckford will save the club little if anything, particularly in FFP terms. Football clubs need to learn that contracts signed means money committed if they are ever going to be viable.

Last edited:
Not withstanding the fact that a bumper wage packet should ensure maximum commitment,I I still wonder about the fans' effect on the player's level of motivation. There were several occasions when it was obvious that he had a problem with sections of our support, none more clear than the incident as the players were leaving the pitch at half-time at Barnsley.

Although it's too late to worry about this in relation to this player, I believe it is a serious concern for the future chances of the club.

Just another reminder if reminder is needed that the departure of Beckford will save the club little if anything, particularly in FFP terms. Football clubs need to learn that contracts signed means money committed if they are ever going to be viable.

Much as I despise Sam Hamaam for nearly bankrupting our club after leaving, I still have some admiration for his approach to players wages. 1 year contracts, bonus incentives featuring heavily and even pay as you play contracts all meant that players were motivated to achieve instead of sitting back and watching the cash roll in.

It's the way forward, just needs the majority of clubs worldwide to sign up to it.

The idea of Beckford playing centre forward at a club that reveres Nat Lofthouse is amusing. The only thing they have in common is that Beckford does not believe it is his job to help the defence.

Every club has players who became cults but Lofthouse was perhaps the cult player par excellence, From joining Bolton as a boy to his death as Life President he was a one-club player who gave absolutely everything. Imagine the talent of Shearer with the aggression of Steve Walsh and more. I have never seen a striker so committed to getting the ball and putting it in the net no matter who or what was in his way.

Lofthouse seemed willing to die for his club and believed opposing centre halves should be the same.Beckford in contrast reminds me of someone who has memorised the Health and Safety Manual.

I personally think the whole Beckford situation is a shame. The problems really started on day one when I believe - as I am sure many other do - Beckford signed... but didn't really want to. He's a decent player with a good scoring record and clearly has the ability when he turns it on. But, this doesn't happen enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669