Speculation Ben Marshall to Blackburn

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no allegedly about it. We have to make sure that he is no worse off than he would have been if he had stayed at the club.

:102:

We don't have to at all. See below.

You keep saying this, are you deliberately being awkward or do you really not get it?

If we sell a player without him asking for a transfer, we would have to pay him any loyalty bonus payment due if he'd stayed to the end of his contract. That's a bonus, not wages.

If we want to get rid of someone, but the only clubs interested in him can't match what he's currently earning, we might offer to pay the difference to encourage him to leave. But we would only do that if we're desperate to get rid, and some players are prepared to take a drop if they think it will benefit their career, or if it means they get a longer contract.

:102:

We don't have to at all. See below.

Jeff really quotes three different situations. In the first and second, the player finishes no worse off. The third scenario so rarely applies that it can be ignored. It always costs us.

Jeff really quotes three different situations. In the first and second, the player finishes no worse off. The third scenario so rarely applies that it can be ignored. It always costs us.

Doesn't happen very often with our players. Maybe we're paying too much. Stupid comment. Of course we're paying too much.

I don't know if it's true, but there was a story that Marshall had turned down a bigger offer from Stoke when he decided to come to Leicester, because he thought he had more chance of playing games here.

I disagree. The second scenario doesn't happen very often (at the full 100% anyway).

I disagree. The second scenario doesn't happen very often (at the full 100% anyway).

It doesn't happen often enough for my liking but when it does the player's remuneration is invariably made up to the full 100% that he could have expected under his contract. The exceptions fall into the third category.

I don't know if it's true, but there was a story that Marshall had turned down a bigger offer from Stoke when he decided to come to Leicester, because he thought his Bentley had less of a chance of being bricked in the Leicester car park.

Fixed.

I work next to the Bentley showroom

Will keep an eye out for him

I don't know if anyone heard Shakespeare's post-match interview but there was a suggestion the coaching team didn't even know that Marshall was being sold. It's nonsense to suggest that when Marshall had been playing with the U21s and missing various squads.

It appears we may have a situation where the DoF and the coaching staff are needlessly point-scoring against each other. Regardless of your position at the club, everyone must that FFP has stressed the need to cut costs surely. So players were going out the door anyway.

Worrying.

I don't know if anyone heard Shakespeare's post-match interview but there was a suggestion the coaching team didn't even know that Marshall was being sold.

Yes, there was a comment about the 'Director of Football' not having said anything to the coaching/management team about this.

As you say, it is worrying if there are 'forces' at work in the background.

Yes, there was a comment about the 'Director of Football' not having said anything to the coaching/management team about this.

You could well be right, but I didn't take it exactly like that. You have to assume that the coaching staff had at least some idea of this, and that, whilst they may rather keep Marshall as a squad player, his lack of involvement lately means it wouldn't be the end of the world to them if/when he's sold. My take is more of the coaching staff putting it on the DoF to take the heat off themselves for selling a fairly popular player, which in some ways could be seen as the role of a DoF, a convenient 'bad guy' that allows the coaching staff to get on with their jobs.

I would hope/imagine that there are more likely scenarios than Shakespeare not knowing anything about it. The most obvioust being that Shakespeare was dodging the question.

I would have thought that Peason/Shakespeare/DOF have discussed who they would like to keep/leave/only leave if a suitable offer is made. Marshal being one of those who can leave if the offer is high enough.

I would hope/imagine that there are more likely scenarios than Shakespeare not knowing anything about it. The most obvioust being that Shakespeare was dodging the question.

He could have been, but one implication to be drawn (whether right or wrong) was that he and NP were in the dark as to what was happening.

He could have been, but one implication to be drawn (whether right or wrong) was that he and NP were in the dark as to what was happening.

True. But maybe they don't care. Maybe Pearson agreed he's a player that can be let go and the DOF is dealing with the rest. There's no reason Pearson/Shakespeare should know the details of the transfer.

Last edited:
Much more likely that Marshall shat on the back seat of Mandaric's car and therefore has to leave.

I know exactly what happened. Marshall parked his Bentley in Top's parking space, Top's dad then headbutted Steve Walsh (not that one, the other one), Shakey took a shit in the back of Rustie Lee's car, Gary Lineker called Stringer a ****, resulting in Youngy refusing to commentate on any more games until Marshall was sold to a team in the northwest. It's obvious, really.

My hope would be that Pearson/Shaky sat down with DoF and compiled 3 lists.

1) Players absolutely needed unless totally insane amounts of money offered - Morgan, Schmeichel, Dyer, King, Nugent, Knockeart, James etc
2) Match Squad players used occasionally who can go for reasonable fees, or just to reduce wages significantly - Beckford, Wellens, maybe Danns and Gallagher
3) Main Squad players surplus to requirements - Marshall, Futcas etc

NP was livid about Marshall being sold behind his back. That's why he didn't speak to the media after last night's game, he thought he might say something he might later regret.

I made that up. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's not far from the truth.

My hope would be that Pearson/Shaky sat down with DoF and compiled 3 lists.

1) Players absolutely needed and can't be sold - Morgan, Schmeichel, Dyer, King, Nugent, Knockeart, James etc
2) Completely useless fecks who we are desperate to offload for any amount of money, 'cos they are complete and utter shite. Good god, we'll give them away for free if anyone is stupid enough to pay them a wage. Staff whip round will be held for their taxi fare - Beckford, Wellens, maybe Danns and Gallagher
3) Duffers who will never play a game all season - Marshall, Futcas etc

Fixed it for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572