Post Match Birmingham 2 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a penalty, and an absolute ridiculous place to put a challenge in, he was out wide and was going towards the by line. I'm a little on the fence with the Mills sending off, by the letter of the law a two footed challenge is a red card but to me that was more of a clearance than a challenge. He got to the ball well before the other player and his studs made no connection with the player and it was more his legs that brought the player down. No point in challenging it as it won't get rescinded and I can understand why the red card was given but I don't think it was as terrible as some are making out. At the end of the day two moments cost us a point and possibly all 3, although I was struggling to see how we were going to get the goal to win it. draws and the occasional win away from home will see us promoted if we maintain our home form so I'm not too overly concerned.

Beckford had little opportunity to make an impact so I think it's unfair for people to get on his back, as he was always going to lack the service when we were down to 10 men and we weren't exactly carving out chances prior to that anyway. Good win midweek will see us back in the race.

Maybe Johnson can be the creative midfielder we need. He seems to have the ability to take players on and beat them, and that's the kind of player we need in midfield if we're not going to play with any width.

I think we gave Brum too much respect by playing very narrow, trying to dominate in the centre to stifle them, but that also stifled us.
Against Derby although it was the same team, the midfield was spread across the pitch more and we used the space well.
Even when we did get into decent crossing positions the final ball was poor.

Possibly, I admit I haven't really seen Johnson play yet bar in pre-season when he looked way off the pace.

At least this will hopefully stop with the "never change a winning side" "we must play 4-4-2" bullshit.

Has anybody mentioned that we're now in the bottom half?

I agree with the sending off, don't really how that could be disputed.

But, I think King won the ball on the tackle for the penalty so still think that's the wrong decision. I think King then should have had a penalty himself, and Beaujesour was lucky not to be sent off too. He was already on a yellow, Pelts had gone past him, then Beaujesour has tripped him. If he hadn't already been booked, that would have been a definite yellow.

We were good in the first half, but lacked the final ball and any real penetration. Poor second half, but Birmingham looked a good team. I think we need Dyer on the bench (or another winger that we sign!) because he gives us an option for changing the shape and getting in behind defences.

We've got a very good collection of central midfielders, and when that system works (like against Derby), we'll win. It didn't work against Birmingham though, but we had no players that could change it.

Good Lord.

It just shows in this league NOTHING is predictable. We controlled the first half but looked toothless then suddenly we self destruct.

Savage can go sit on a spiked fence, how that IDIOT became a Sports pundit is beyond me, silly dancing long hair twat.

Beckford looked awful, dis-interested and off the pace. Hopefully he can improve. Mills tackle was just dilusional. How anybody can lunge like that STILL is beyond me.

However, we have 2 home games to turn it around and as others have said SSL gets his chance, so that will shut him up for a bit.

Can I be the first to ask that we don't have 3 days of nonsense knee-jerk reaction on here....

Does that mean I can't ask if it's time for Sven to go?

:icon_wink

Too narrow, struggle for any space and can't create anything because of it, in the 83rd minute they actually realised that you need to pass AND move.

I think King then should have had a penalty himself

Nine times out of ten if that had happened outside the box King would have got himself a free kick.

And as for the commentators saying that the offence by Beaujesour wasn't a sending off offence, well no, it wasn't you pricks but it WAS a yellow card offence. The fact that it would have been his second yellow was beside the point.

Pantsil has been an absolute liability so far, him going out of the team played a large part in our clean sheet run imo.

How anyone can think it wasn't a penalty is beyond me. King got none of the ball, but even if he did, it still would have been a blatant penalty.

I hate seeing tackles such as Mills' as red cards, but in today's game a two footed lunge is always going to be a red. It was stupid.

As for the game, we were just toothless. Such a poor game that I bet any neutral watching would have turned it off after 10 mins.

Strange game. As the game wore on more and more you expectd this was not going to be our day. We were still playing the passing game with 10 men and trailing 1-0 which I thought was commendable and I thought we looked capable of nicking something. Think Sven did the right thing not changing the team as well. I would agree though that for all the fancy play we sometimes look a bit lacklustre up top and today was a good example. Beckford has yet to impress me with anything he does, looks like an expensive flop!

Overall it's not the end of the world but it was a disappointment to miss out on creeping into the play offs when results went our way yesterday. Threw away a real chance to put the shivers up the play off pack there and it's a real shame we didn't see a bit more desire until late in the day...

I thought both the penalty and the sending off were harsh, but both were giveable. Even when we were down to 10 men we were still the better side. Hard luck, but that's life.

The most exciting aspect of that match was Yuki Abe's haircut.

I watched it on TV so my view was not so good as those who watched it live.

The first half our back four looked superb and we were much the better team. Yet I don't remember us troubling their goalkeeper. It seemed to me that our final ball was often over-hit - an impression I also got in the second Cardiff game. David Nugent seemed to play well. A team that has that much possession ought to have gone in at least one goal up.

Refereeing decisions completely changed the second half. There were three key moments and in each one the decision went against us. Opinions differ about which the referee got right or wrong which goes to show how difficult the referees job is. I tend to agree with those who think that King and Mills got it wrong.

I thought Wellens was an improvement on Danns.

Beckford's performancer seemed underwhelming. A striker coming on as a sub when we are a goal down and only have ten men may find it difficult. Nevertheless he did not look good.
I do not agree with those who claim he is uninterested. What can look like lack of interest is often slowness to react. I would start with Beckford and Nugent together for the next couple of games. If Beckford still fails to impress Sven should look elsewhere.

I don't think Kasper's second half save has been mentioned but it was superb. He continues to be very impressive.

It would be interesting to know what people who were actually at the match thought of Peltier's performance as a centre backl

I don't get all this "we outplayed the opposition in the first half" business. We created absolutely bugger all in that game from start to finish, Birmingham looked just as comfortable defensively as we did first half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669