Post Match Birmingham 2 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are u lot on about? we were in control of the game until the ref change Wellens was good when he came on Beckford awfull, we are going ok stop the knee jerk reactions

How can you blame the ref!? Both decisions were absolutely spot on and obvious.

Yes Mills should've walked, but why weren't Brum down to 10 men before.
Beausejour (sp) was on a yellow card, deliberately brings City player down from behind (think it was Peltier) to stop him getting a cross in /getting in their box.
That was a yellow card offence.

Out of interest, how many times, since Sven has been in charge have we "just got to win this game to go into the play-off positions" and blown it?

Just not good enough from an attacking standpoint - so much possession and not even making their goalkeeper make a save. It seems like for away games we are happy to just look for a 0-0 draw - this will not get us into the playoffs. Beckford looked awful and disinterested when he came on - if he continues this attitude I see no harm playing Schlupp who will run tirelessly and to be quite frank looks more likely to score. We don't need to get carried away with a poor performance but this is just not good enough. Also no complaints about the referee - both the penalty and sending off were absolutely correct decisions.

It was an absolutely idiotic and thuggish challenge by Mills, the kind of challenge that can break on opponents leg.

I don't think there was any malicious intent from Mills.

It was a poor ball from Schmeichel who was way out of position. If the Birmingham, player had got the ball he would have been able to take a shot (albeit from a long way out) at an unguarded goal. Mills knew this and was desperate to win the ball.

I don't think there was any malicious intent from Mills.

It was a poor ball from Schmeichel who was way out of position. If the Birmingham, player had got the ball he would have been able to take a shot (albeit from a long way out) at an unguarded goal. Mills knew this and was desperate to win the ball.

Schmeichel's ball was poor, but that has nothing to do with Mills deciding to jump in with both feet off the ground and wrapping his legs round the Birmingham attacker.

I don't know how anyone can come away with the opinion that there was no intent there.

Yes, Mills was desperate to win the ball, but you don't slide in in an attempt to get the ball the way Mills' did. You don't jump in with both feet if you are just trying to get the ball. It was two footed, both feet off the ground and he wrapped his legs round the Bimirngham attacker's legs, it was the kind of challenge that can break a player's leg and end a player's career and if the Birmingham player had his leg planted in the ground and was turning on it it probably would have done.

Absolutely thuggish challenge, no place in the game for things like that.

Really poor stuff this, and all against a Brummie team who had little to offer.. Didnt think much to the 1st half performance despite all the possession. Too cautious, poor movement off the ball, and not an ounce of inspiration coming from any of them on the pitch. Aimless punts into areas where the strikers have little chance of doing anything, a style of play that wouldnt even worry the poorer teams in the league.
Unfortunately the Derby result was flattering and falsely resurrected pre season expectation levels, but imo there is a lack of spark in this team. We dont have a Muzzy or an attacking midfielder who can really create problems for opposing defences. In general, we were at best dozy and never showed any urgency till the game was lost.
Promotion ? Not a prayer unless they take the shackles off and show some real passion and grit. Must get back on track with the next two home games, or otherwise the season is in danger of imploding without it ever really starting for us. Oh how Leicester City it all feels....

The first replay I saw it looked like King played the ball. But I didn't see the subsequent replays from other angles because I was posting on here instead of watching the TV.

I thought even after a couple it looked like King played the ball. The trajectory of the ball changed, without Beausejour touching. But whatever. We are still lacking the togetehrness to break teams like Birmingham down at home when clearly in the first half they were there for the taking. gelson is looking like a good signing, Beckford needs to buck his ideas up if he is to get some crowd-based affection. He came close to getting a goal, not through shooting but being in the right places today, feels like a matter of time before he gets one. Hope it's soon.
Don't think we deserved to lose today, but thats mainly because neither team deserved to win. King getting tackled was a penalty, no matter how many times Martin Keown on the beeb insisted that the ball was 'out of control, so sodding way sir.

Ah well. away from home, unlucky to lose, etc. Reffing made a big impact today IMO.

Should've played 4-3-3 imo. It's clear the 4-4-2 doesn't work!

, it was the kind of challenge that can break a player's leg and end a player's career and if the Birmingham player had his leg planted in the ground and was turning on it it probably would have done.

Absolutely thuggish challenge, no place in the game for things like that.

It was in no way a thuggish challenge. It was a poor, ill judged lunge but he certainly had eyes for the ball. The Brum player was too far from it to be caused injury. Let's just say the Brum player got there first, it would have been a block on a shot or a pass and nothing would have been done. It never had the intention of causing injury which is what a thug would do.

We dont have a Muzzy or an attacking midfielder who can really create problems for opposing defences. In general, we were at best dozy and never showed any urgency till the game was lost.

I've said it since the season started. The hope is that this division is so full of average players with average ambitions, that we have a defence who gets us promoted through being measly.

Last edited:
It was in no way a thuggish challenge. It was a poor, ill judged lunge but he certainly had eyes for the ball. The Brum player was too far from it to be caused injury. Let's just say the Brum player got there first, it would have been a block on a shot or a pass and nothing would have been done. It never had the intention of causing injury which is what a thug would do.

You must have seen an entirely different challenge to me. If the Brum player had got their first then Mills would have taken his legs out and if they'd have got trapped under the challenge, snapped his leg in two. It looked an awful challenge to me and a stupid and needless red card.

I agree we don't have anyone who can create anything though. Although our defence is much better this season, our attack is much worse.

We don't have anyone who can score, create or open up defences the way Yakubu could. I'm still flabbergasted some fans didn't want Yakubu back and slagged him off being "lazy," he was an absolute class above in both scoring and creating opportunities and we don't have anybody who can do either of those jobs anywhere near as well as he could, let alone both.

Last edited:
Even if King gets the ball (which he doesn't) it's still a careless challenge when he has tripped the attacker and therefore a penalty.

Last edited:
We don't have anyone who can score, create or open up defences the way Yakubu could.

Maybe Johnson can be the creative midfielder we need. He seems to have the ability to take players on and beat them, and that's the kind of player we need in midfield if we're not going to play with any width.

I think we gave Brum too much respect by playing very narrow, trying to dominate in the centre to stifle them, but that also stifled us.
Against Derby although it was the same team, the midfield was spread across the pitch more and we used the space well.
Even when we did get into decent crossing positions the final ball was poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669