Post Match Birmingham 2 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was looking like a 0-0 all day until they got their penalty, that was the only way they were gonna score.

I was hugely disappointed with the lack of quality in the final third, with Konchesky in particular failing to put a decent ball in. There's very little point in floating the ball across for Nugent and Darius to get on to it, and when Sol and Mills were up there our delivery was poor. Also, Danns on corners didn't impress me. But I don't get to watch very often so I'm willing to be corrected.

as for the commentators saying that the offence by Beaujesour wasn't a sending off offence, well no, it wasn't you pricks but it WAS a yellow card offence. The fact that it would have been his second yellow was beside the point.

I was shouting exactly the same point at the telly, I don't think they heard me. I think the neighbours did though.

One thing learnt from today is that Martin Keown is a ****ing idiot who despite playing football as a professional, knows absolutely **** all about football.

And them hitting the bar about a minute before the pen?

I disagree with it looking like the only way they would score. They came out firing in the second half.

I agree with PR on all this nonsense about us being much the better side in the first half. The BBC seemed determined to suck us off at half time without us having done a thing to merit such a wonderful reward. Both of the two best chances (and the only real chance) of the first half went Birmingham's way. They may have had less of the ball but they found it easier to grab a sight of goal than we did. And even if in the main they did look less threatening on the ball, it certainly wasn't because we were preventing them from being so. They just weren't very good. It's nothing to pat ourselves on the back about.

We weren't terrible or anything in the first half. The players have obviously got to know each other a bit now and they're quite comfortable passing the ball amongst each other. What they're not so good at is moving into space once the ball has left their feet. All season I've been bemoaning the lack of movement going forward, particularly from our midfielders. It's so frustrating to watch. In the second half events conspired against us. Unfortunately these events were of our own making. Personally I think the penalty was a bit soft, but then again it doesn't take much intelligence for a player to realise that sticking a foot out in that position isn't the greatest idea in the world.

In any case, this result is by no means a disaster. We have two very winnable home games coming up and I reckon we'll win both. If that happens then we should be nicely embedded in the top six. Which is where we will stay if things remain as they are. If we manage to find a bit of movement going forward then I'm confident of a top two finish, as I've said before. A bad day at the office, nothing more. It will be forgotten about should we find ourselves six points better off come Saturday evening. And instead of feeling disappointed because our unbeaten run has come to an end, we can go about telling ourselves that we've only lost one in ten and will be top of the league before we know it.

I thought even after a couple (of views) it looked like King played the ball. The trajectory of the ball changed, without Beausejour touching (it).

King getting tackled was a penalty, no matter how many times Martin Keown on the beeb insisted that the ball was 'out of control, so sodding way sir.

I agree with the first part. As for the second point highlighted, I thought it was obstruction, but I've not seen that given for a decade.

As for the Mills challenge, ugly, out of control, and unnecessary. But ball cleared before opponent arrived, studs had already gone passed the arriving player's feet and therefore wrapping of legs around oppo wasn't the result of the lunge.

I'm disappointed that there is a trend for the double footed challenge. Why can't a ball be defended by the sliding tackle, with the final supporting leg being dragged back and the hips being the pivot for the follow through into row Z?

Aimed at no one in particular.

Why would anyone dive in two footed if the intent was not to cause harm?

If you are blocking a ball then you either dive in one footed and slide sideways to make your body bigger or you stand up and block.

Asfar as I'm concerned if you jump intwo footed you are intent on being malicious. Why are people inherent defending the twat?

I can't understand it, the thick twat.

[knee jerk] we have not spent wisely or we have the tactics wrong. I'm not so sure about Sven. Does anyone else share my secret shame? [/knee jerk]

[knee jerk] we have not spent wisely or we have the tactics wrong. I'm not so sure about Sven. Does anyone else share my secret shame? [/knee jerk]

So far, Mills is not worth the money.
Tactics all wrong today - no width at all.
Sven isn't quick enough to change things as has been proven throughout his career.

I guess I must share with you...........

As I said on the other thread, I go back and forth on this current team. We've seen what they can do when they reach their full potential and if we play at our best it's obvious we will be title contenders, but at the same time away from home we seem so lacklasture and mediocre and certain signings (Mills, Beckford) do seem like a huge waste of money so far.

I'm going to give it a few more weeks til I decide on this side for sure, but we certainly need some more consistency and to start getting towards the play-off places very soon.

Just seen the Mills challenge again on SSN, just gets worse every time you see it, the Birmingham player is lucky that his leg wasn't planted in the ground like that or Mills would have broken his leg, no doubt. Only getting a 3 game ban for such challenges seems very lenient.

No idea how anyone can defend that challenge. It looks like there is serious malicious intent behind it to me. If you're going to block the ball why are you jumping in 2-footed like that? Why has he not slid in long the ground with one foot? Why has he not slid in front of the ball (expecting it to be kicked forward) rather than at the ball while the opposition player is going towards it for a 50/50? There's only one outcome when you jump in like that and that's a red card.

Just seen the Mills challenge again on SSN, just gets worse every time you see it, the Birmingham player is lucky that his leg wasn't planted in the ground like that or Mills would have broken his leg, no doubt. Only getting a 3 game ban for such challenges seems very lenient.

No idea how anyone can defend that challenge. It looks like there is serious malicious intent behind it to me. If you're going to block the ball why are you jumping in 2-footed like that? Why has he not slid in long the ground with one foot? Why has he not slid in front of the ball (expecting it to be kicked forward) rather than at the ball while the opposition player is going towards it for a 50/50? There's only one outcome when you jump in like that and that's a red card.

As it happened, I said "he's gone". It was so obviously a red card, regardless of his actual intent in mind, perception rules. I'd agree though, it's hard to see what he was trying to achieve if it wasn't malicious.

No width, no craft, no spark. Players uncomfortable on the ball, lack a real will to win and we showed a very ordinary Birmingham side far too much respect. Really bad day at the office and Sven needs to pick players who are going to bleed a bit to get results. We have all analysed the penalty and the sending off, over and over again. the ref has seconds to decide and both fully justified in that context. These incidents were notvthe sole resaons we lost the match, I am more worried about what seemed to be a lack of self belief and too many players hoping the others would make things happen.

Drab and hungover performance. Never got going, needed Wellens on the pitch from the start IMO. Mills is a cock for that, I hope he knows.

Ah well, onwards.

thought King got ball, but only just and the penalty would normally be given, but that's only with the TV replays

sending off, i screamed "he got the ball" then looking at the replays...ouch, a stone cold red

Konchesky...learn to cross, why do you take all the set pieces from the left when the only culture you have in your left foot can be treated with anti-fungal powder?

Nugent, you'll have a much more fun game if you didn't spend it all offside

thought Birmingham were rubbish, althought that ginger 7 looked good.

thought Birmingham were rubbish, althought that ginger 7 looked good.

Chris Burke, played the last couple of years at Cardiff and he always seems to do well against us.

The worst thing for me during the match, was my girlfriend shouting 'NUGGET!!!' whenever Nugent popped up on screen. Almost as bad as her spending the whole of A New Hope calling Chewie 'Chuddeh'.

No movement when we pass, it's just small little passes to each other with not one player trying to drag their players in order to create space, the main reason why we couldn't create anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669