Blackpool Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding of the phrase is a carrot is reward for getting something right and a stick as a punishment for getting something wrong. It might not be the original meaning of the phrase, but it's a meaning that a lot of people believe.

A lot of other people also believe that it describes two opposite methods of motivation i.e. motivate with a carrot or motivate with a stick, but not the two together.
This is quite different from your understanding of the phrase.

But it doesn't matter because you are all wrong. :icon_wink

Why?They are above us in the league. Would you feel the same if we lost to Reading, who a few seasons ago were starting were Blackpool are now?

thats the most painful thing to accept, teams such as reading/wigan are now up in the premiership while we sit being utterly bollocks in the championship...

A lot of other people also believe that it describes two opposite methods of motivation i.e. motivate with a carrot or motivate with a stick, but not the two together.
Only stupid people though, surely?.

My understanding of the phrase is a carrot is reward for getting something right and a stick as a punishment for getting something wrong. It might not be the original meaning of the phrase, but it's a meaning that a lot of people believe.

When I was a kid, I thought it was to do with dangling a carrot from a stick in front of a donkey, because I saw that happen in a cartoon and assumed it's where the phrase came from. But as I got older no one else seemed to use the phrase that way so I thought my original understanding of it had been wrong.

I've just found this definition, which Macky will say is a load of bollocks:

carrot and stick
One entry found.

carrot-and-stick

Main Entry:
car·rot–and–stick Listen to the pronunciation of carrot–and–stick
Pronunciation:
\ˌker-ət-ən-ˈstik, ˌka-rət-\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
from the traditional alternatives of driving a donkey on by either holding out a carrot or whipping it with a stick
Date:

it is just so frustrating when we lose to teams such as Blackpool, it's just terrible.

Why?They are above us in the league. Would you feel the same if we lost to Reading, who a few seasons ago were starting were Blackpool are now?

I know what you mean beights, and I agree with you.

I think the frustrating part is that we go all the way up there to watch football in a temporary uncovered stand in a half finished ground with nothing but wasteland behind one of the goals and a capacity a fraction of ours and we think, we *should* be beating teams like this because our infrastructure is so superior.

Yes I know it doesn't work like that and it is a bit of a simplistic argument anyway, but that it how it feels when you go to places like Blackpool.

Everything I've said has been proven correct.

Without Norris we are doomed.

The only way i can see out of this dire situation is to feed the squad carrots and beat them with sticks.

I've just found this definition, which Macky will say is a load of bollocks

I don't know to be honest, I was just being a contrary fecker, as usual.

My best bet would be that the modern usage of it is a corruption of carrot on a stick.
I think I probably saw the same cartoon as Jeff.

The result today was a downer. If they had won then what a difference the feeling would be regarding a change in fortune. Approaching half way in the lge and only 8pts behind the play-offs. I would suggest the play-off thread would have taken a big hammering had we got the result today. In summary we are still in a dogfight and looking over our shoulders, but as always the complete over reaction to a disappointing game wins the day.
Its not to say it will work out but i have more confidence in the current manager than any of those you have mentioned. Maybe i'm deluded by his management style, but i'm happy to be the sucker that believes his positivety will come good and turn the club around. We have done the lets get rid of the manager too many times, for the good of the club give Ollie a chance and lets see if he can continue to develop a team. I challenge anyone to say that they would sooner have the team that Ollie started with to the one we have now. Forget this season lets just survive it, and then we will see what this manager can do for the club next season. I fully hope and expect this to be our last season of real struggle.

I accept all that.

We have probably run out of chopping and changing managers for a bit anyway. It's reached the point where it has become a triumph for Milan when he can find someone who actually wants the job. A far cry from the time when potential managers saw the Leicester job as a stepping stone to the very top.

However, just as you are right when you talk of people over-reacting to a defeat in the same way as the Coventry resuilt caused near hysteria amongst the deluded, I still say that so say in terms of results that nothing much has changed. I do sense that Holloway is probably a better judge of player acquisitions than say Allen, but whether he will be able to move the club significantly forward, I simply wouldn't know. But he has to be given the chance and as I've said before we can forget about this season except of course, holloway can't afford to because he needs to get some momentum going to attract better players in the summer.

Just one further thought - how long is Milan going to be able to identify the resources for bringing in big batches of new players? Looks to me that Stearman and/ or Mattock or Kisnorbo will need to be sold off to balance the books.

Aye, was there too - and have to agree with almost all your summary dpj.

Particular poor displays from Oakley and Howard sad to say... the latter didn't seem bothered at all. Scored yes, but could've worked a damn sight harder for the team throughout.

Had to get a ticket in the Blackpool seats unfortunately (near the corner flag just along from the building site about five rows back) but thought the Leicester fans did OK - especially those in the top corner near the Blackpool stand who kept the jumping up and down going.

Most poignant for me was that the Blackpool fans kept saying "we're crap, but they're worse" - which didn't help my dispondent mood.

The atmosphere at the end by the Blackpool fans was rocking. I've been to almost every away game this season and that was the best I've heard us. Had a drink with some seasiders afterwards and they said we were the loudest away fans of the season apart from stoke. Spose the noise didn't travel too well without a roof.

This is quite different from your understanding of the phrase.

But it doesn't matter because you are all wrong. :icon_wink

Feckin hell i've started something here :icon_bigg

I accept all that.

We have probably run out of chopping and changing managers for a bit anyway. It's reached the point where it has become a triumph for Milan when he can find someone who actually wants the job. A far cry from the time when potential managers saw the Leicester job as a stepping stone to the very top.

However, just as you are right when you talk of people over-reacting to a defeat in the same way as the Coventry resuilt caused near hysteria amongst the deluded, I still say that so say in terms of results that nothing much has changed. I do sense that Holloway is probably a better judge of player acquisitions than say Allen, but whether he will be able to move the club significantly forward, I simply wouldn't know. But he has to be given the chance and as I've said before we can forget about this season except of course, holloway can't afford to because he needs to get some momentum going to attract better players in the summer.

Just one further thought - how long is Milan going to be able to identify the resources for bringing in big batches of new players? Looks to me that Stearman and/ or Mattock or Kisnorbo will need to be sold off to balance the books.

Tbh if the money is right then there is not a single player (not including the recent signings) that i would be gutted to see leave. The further we get away from the old regime the better imo.

carrot on a stick to tempt the fecking donkey for me too

According to highland Dion put the donkey's to shame....

As far as i can se the carrot refers to Blackpool's colours, which, being unique, obviously motivate their team to play above themselves; the stick to the attitude of many on here to our players, manager, and anyone/thing else connected with the club.

Alternative methods of motivation.

id rather we beat blackpool and lost to palace at least we wouldve been on level points as blackpool instead of looking up the league at them and almost everyone else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669