Post Match Bolton 0 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point 1 is interesting - procession denies the opposition a chance to hurt you and theoretically tires them chasing the ball. The most successful sides have this approach so I assume it works.

It doesn't. The possession argument is largely a myth. Look at last night as an example. Munich had 70% possession against Madrid and lost.

Football is 90% about what you do in and around the two penalty areas. Possession of the ball is an enabler but it's also too often done for the sake of itself. DD is a typical exponent of this and is lauded for how many passes he makes (he's way out as the most prolific passer in the league). What isn't mentioned is how many of those passes have no purpose whatsoever where he just gives the ball back to the person that passed to him. Over-passing is something lots of technically good players do and I see it as poor play.

It sounds like we were guilty of over-playing against Bolton. NP used the word "self-indulgent" following the game. It comes with confidence, arrogance and a feeble level of opposition.

It doesn't. The possession argument is largely a myth. Look at last night as an example. Munich had 70% possession against Madrid and lost.

Football is 90% about what you do in and around the two penalty areas. Possession of the ball is an enabler but it's also too often done for the sake of itself. DD is a typical exponent of this and is lauded for how many passes he makes (he's way out as the most prolific passer in the league). What isn't mentioned is how many of those passes have no purpose whatsoever where he just gives the ball back to the person that passed to him. Over-passing is something lots of technically good players do and I see it as poor play.

It sounds like we were guilty of over-playing against Bolton. NP used the word "self-indulgent" following the game. It comes with confidence, arrogance and a feeble level of opposition.

I'm fairly sure that everyone at the club knows that we won't be able to play the way we did this season when we go up.

Bring back Charles Hughes and the Wimbledon way?????

It might be too early to critique the performance at Bolton. I had the wonderful opportunity to drag my daughter to the game, before she returned to Dublin & GAA.

1. She wanted to know why we piss around with ball and not attack. 2. Why don't you shoot when there is a clear opportunity. 3. Someone should have a word with the keeper, his kicking is crap. 4. Why does No.4 not want the ball? Every time he receives it he gives it back.

Legitimate questions. She was bouncing at the end. She might admit she is Leicester fan, eventually.

I know Neil Lennon was a keen Gaelic Football player in his youth, and he even brought in a GF coach to help with the academy at Celtic, so maybe you're on to something.

Point 3 is a reasonable question to ask, I'm not sure it will ever improve.

Point 3 is a reasonable question to ask, I'm not sure it will ever improve.

I thought his kicking was fairly decent when he first arrived but it seems that he has been coached/encouraged to change his style and it's not worked since.

surely the stats show that those teams with a higher pocession ratio invariably win the game. if your pocession is cheap then its unlikely to have consequences. if it makes the opposition work then its likely to pay off eventually.

surely the stats show that those teams with a higher pocession ratio invariably win the game. if your pocession is cheap then its unlikely to have consequences. if it makes the opposition work then its likely to pay off eventually.

Sounds crazy

Bring back Charles Hughes and the Wimbledon way?????

I'm not advocating minimising passing and long balls. I'm arguing against pointless passing.

I think the assumption that possession leads to wins is flawed. Passing is a skill and those with more talent are usually going to be better at it. So the better teams have more possession of the ball because of the quality of player, not because having possession, in itself, leads to goals. So when better sides win more matches, with more possession, people think it is linked to possession, but it isn't, it's linked to overall ability.

You're absolutely right that working opposition players with possession is a good thing and that's because there is a purpose to the passing. More often than not though, the passing isn't working anyone. Like when it goes from one side of the defence to the other via four players and back again and the opposition stand there watching. Or in the DD example where he simply returns the ball back exactly where it came from. This isn't making the opposition work at all.

The thing I particularly like about Liverpool this season is their lack of pointless passing. Gerrard plays long balls regularly, midfielders make forward passes constantly and this creates chances. I know there will always be a bit of pointless passing, but it shouldn't be celebrated or encouraged.

There is no such thing as pointless passing when you are winning.

Passing can also draw out a team that normally plays on the counter thus making the passing and winning team more likely to score again and win

In Mark Mghees brief tenure, we did a lot of pointless passing.
Don't think that is necessarily true with the current team.

udamy4a7.jpg

This article relates to this discussion. How United at Everton and Bayern at Real had a lot of the ball and didn't do a lot with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669