Bradford reach Wembley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations Bradford City

Lost 2-1 at Villa tonight, but have gone through 4-3 on aggregate.

A phenomenal achievement. :038:

Just watched it over the net, fair play to Bradford thoroughly deserved.
''Your getting sacked in the morning''
And I bet Lambert will be - as Dean Saunders said the season's gone pear shaped for them and tonight was a disaster.

Just watched it over the net, fair play to Bradford thoroughly deserved.
''Your getting sacked in the morning''
And I bet Lambert will be
- as Dean Saunders said the season's gone pear shaped for them and tonight was a disaster.
what are the odds for Sven's name popping up but nothing materialise?

So, Bradford have beaten more Prem teams than Villa have this season then?

Fantastic stuff. An incredible achievement from Bradford. I expect Swansea to beat them in the final (can't see Chelsea overturning that one), but to get there is absolutely brilliant.

I saw something that said they are the first team from the fourth tier to EVER reach a Wembley final? I think other teams have got to the finals though maybe, just not in years it was at Wembley?

They've not even done it the easy way... they beat 3 Premier League teams to get there!

I don't think Lambert will be sacked yet. Maybe after losing to Millwall on Friday though? Or at least after Newcastle next week.
I hope they don't really.... I had money on them to go down at the start of the season!

I saw something that said they are the first team from the fourth tier to EVER reach a Wembley final? I think other teams have got to the finals though maybe, just not in years it was at Wembley

Yeah I'm sure I heard them say the only other team from the fourth tier to get to the final was Rochdale but, as you say, that was before the finals were played there.

Fantastic stuff. An incredible achievement from Bradford. I expect Swansea to beat them in the final (can't see Chelsea overturning that one), but to get there is absolutely brilliant.

I saw something that said they are the first team from the fourth tier to EVER reach a Wembley final? I think other teams have got to the finals though maybe, just not in years it was at Wembley?

They've not even done it the easy way... they beat 3 Premier League teams to get there!

I don't think Lambert will be sacked yet. Maybe after losing to Millwall on Friday though? Or at least after Newcastle next week.
I hope they don't really.... I had money on them to go down at the start of the season!

First team since 1962, Rochdale. No idea about whether that final was at Wembley.

Last edited:
First team since 1962, Rochdale. No idea about whether that final was at Wembley.

That final was a two-legged affair, as were those that City played against Stoke and Chelsea in '64 and '65. The final was first played at Wembley in 1967.

Yeah I'm sure I heard them say the only other team from the fourth tier to get to the final was Rochdale but, as you say, that was before the finals were played there.

Back when Rochdale achieved that, not all the top teams entered the competition. It was the second edition of the tournament and some clubs didn't want the extra fixtures.

Back when Rochdale achieved that, not all the top teams entered the competition. It was the second edition of the tournament and some clubs didn't want the extra fixtures.

I'll bet a lot of the top teams wish they could still do this.

They'd be mad to sack Lambert. It's thanks to him that they're not rooted to the bottom of the table because the squad that he was left with was horrendous - full of kids and overpaid has-beens. Relegation was always a probability for them.

They'd be mad to sack Lambert. It's thanks to him that they're not rooted to the bottom of the table because the squad that he was left with was horrendous - full of kids and overpaid has-beens. Relegation was always a probability for them.
Villa could go down this season. Some of the teams near the bottom have been there before so are used to the scrap for points. Villa and City could exchange places at the end of the season now what a turn around that could be. We could then be fighting with Stoke and West Brom as top Midlands club.

Have a bottom division team ever got to the final before or played at Wembley?

Surprised this hasn't been mention yet. :102:

Lambert's style reminds me of Pearson's a bit, with a real emphasis on young players. Admirable, especially as the likes of Bannan, Weimann, Clark, Albrighton etc are Villa products. The problem is though, they're playing in front of a crowd that expects a lot from their team, regardless of the personel and more so the fact that there's so little experience in that team.

Villa have thrown a fair amount of cash around, especially under O'Neill, and all Lerner may have to show for his input over the last few years is an abysmal season eding in relegation. However, going down to the Championship with that squad (probably minus Benteke and Bent) could be a real blessing in disguise, giving them a chance to blitz a league and develop their youngsters in a slightly less brutal environment than the Prem. Shouldn't really be an issue though.

Hazard sent off for Chelsea for kicking a ballboy who wouldn't give the ball back.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669