Breaking News: McLeod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think fryatt should be sold if a bid of 1mill+ is made but he should be replaced as we cant rely on cort as been available to play regurly.

The excuses to cover up fryatts poor season are desperate, poor service (this would apply to all strikers including the ones that performed ok), not fit (all season? and suddenly fit for fulham and derby?), he kept us up in the season before (yes he played well then before his attitude kicked in, but a whole season is a longer period then a good half season so is more accurate to judge on that plus it more recent). If he stays I will back him and hope he does well but my head says the logical thing to do is sell if anything over a million.

Last edited:
I still think fryatt should be sold if a bid of 1mill+ is made but he should be replaced as we cant rely on cort as been available to play regurly.

The excuses to cover up fryatts poor season are desperate, poor service (this would apply to all strikers including the ones that performed ok), not fit (all season? and suddenly fit for fulham and derby?), he kept us up in the season before (yes he played well then before his attitude kicked in, but a whole season is a longer period then a good half season so is more accurate to judge on that plus it more recent). If he stays I will back him and hope he does well but my head says the logical thing to do is sell if anything over a million.

I'd accept half that! I'd have snapped Wolves' £900,000 bid. The sensible thing is to have big 'success' add-ons - for appearances, promotion, and a sell-on transfer cut in case he comes good again and a big club snaps him up for a few million from the club we sell him to.

I'd accept half that! I'd have snapped Wolves' £900,000 bid. The sensible thing is to have big 'success' add-ons - for appearances, promotion, and a sell-on transfer cut in case he comes good again and a big club snaps him up for a few million from the club we sell him to.

Or we could keep him, he comes good, gets us promoted and then gets us £5-6 mill in the bank when he goes??

Why would you rather him become a good player elsewhere, absolutely farcical if you ask me!!

Or we could keep him, he comes good, gets us promoted and then gets us £5-6 mill in the bank when he goes??

Why would you rather him become a good player elsewhere, absolutely farcical if you ask me!!

to be fair to consty, every opportunity he's had he's slated Fryatt so its no surprise.

Bit of middle ground needed IMO, he's only what 20/21? I wouldn't want to sell him to a rival club, but by the same token this is a big season for him to prove his quality.

If he doesn't then it wouldn't surprise me if he went in January or end of the season, but if he's been given a crack of the whip under MA then there can be no complaints.

to be fair to consty, every opportunity he's had he's slated Fryatt so its no surprise.

Bit of middle ground needed IMO, he's only what 20/21? I wouldn't want to sell him to a rival club, but by the same token this is a big season for him to prove his quality.

If he doesn't then it wouldn't surprise me if he went in January or end of the season, but if he's been given a crack of the whip under MA then there can be no complaints.

Dunc (& M17),
I loved Matty Fryatt in his first season with us. It's clear the boy has got something and I would've loved him to become a hero here, I was expecting it after the first season. But good players can throw it all away... he won't be the first and he won't be the last. My strong feeling was that it was not just a 'dodgy' ankle that was responsible for his woes but also a dodgy attitude and dodgy 'off the field' behaviour that made his game suffer. This was unprofessional. So I just think he needs to start with a clean slate at a new club. He might come good at his new club and move on for £5m to a prem team in the end, or he might move on a free transfer to league 2. No-one knows. It's sensible to have a sell on clause just in case. It's also sensible to sell in case his value plummets to zero. I understand the argument of "let's see if he can be a £5m player here..." but he's blown it - the odds are much more likely to be 'more of the same'. Anyway, it's a new era with new managers and new owner. Surely we may as well be rid of everyone who played badly (for whatever reason) and just keep those who played well?

Last edited:
Dunc (& M17),
Surely we may as well be rid of everyone who played badly (for whatever reason) and just keep those who played well?

Like I say you are consistent.

IMO consistently wrong, and keep making the same point over and over again at every opportunity.

I don't agree with the idea of getting rid of every player who played badly, on what timescale is this? 2 games? 6 months? a Season?!

If we are intending to develop our young players over the long term then you can't just ship them out at times when form dips for whatever reason.

Young players, no matter who (Rooney, Owen, Gerrard etc etc) will always suffer from dips in form/confidence for any number of reasons, and often its called 2nd seasons syndrome. Most managers/clubs/fans stick by them as they (hopefully) come through and develop.

As I say this is Fryatt's chance to do that here, if he doesn't then its fair to expect him to be sold in the Jan window or end of the season.

Last edited:

IMO consistently wrong, and keep making the same point over and over again at every opportunity.

I don't agree with the idea of getting rid of every player who played badly, on what timescale is this? 2 games? 6 months? a Season?!

If we are intending to develop our young players over the long term then you can't just ship them out at times when form dips for whatever reason.

Young players, no matter who (Rooney, Owen, Gerrard etc etc) will always suffer from dips, and often its called 2nd seasons syndrome. Most managers/clubs/fans stick by them as they (hopefully) come through and develop.

As I say this is Fryatt's chance to do that here, if he doesn't then its fair to expect him to be sold in the Jan window or end of the season.

:038: Took the words out of my mouth so to speak.

But don't forget, it's ok to keep MDV because he's ****in' amazing! :icon_roll

Young players, no matter who (Rooney, Owen, Gerrard etc etc) will always suffer from dips in form/confidence for any number of reasons, and often its called 2nd seasons syndrome. Most managers/clubs/fans stick by them as they (hopefully) come through and develop.

This is now the third season at City albeit the second full one. Can we afford to wait, I think not. There are other sides that will come right past as we wait for Fryatt to come good. :icon_conf

This is now the third season at City albeit the second full one. Can we afford to wait, I think not. There are other sides that will come right past as we wait for Fryatt to come good. :icon_conf

Sorry, just don't buy the fact that young players can never have bad periods and if they do then we should sell them ASAP.

By that logic, Man Utd should have sold Rooney last year, Owen would have gone from Liverpool in 99, Gerrard would have gone from Liverpool in his 2nd season etc etc, Lineker would never have made it, neither would Heskey.

I can't think of one young player, at that highest level, or at ours where there hasn't been a 6 month dip in form for whatever reason. The fact that we aren't willing to give talented players the chance to fight back is ridiculous and says more about our fans than the players.

Yes, but in the January window Fryatt will be in danger of being worth nothing or a fraction of the bids being made now. My line on Fryatt is consistent, yes.. but come on, you keep saying your point of view about him too 'at every opportunity'. Of course we give players time to ride through a rough patch - but a whole season?? NO!! Especially if the players attitude does not appear to be right. MA has clearly indicated he looks to off the field matters as being significant to a footballer and the signs are in his preseason assessment he thinks even MDV is a better bet than Fryatt. Which says it all. I really wish it wasn't so. Fryatt in his first season deserved every bit of praise he got - and more. He was special.

If we go up this season, we will be relegated the following season with a record low points tally IMO.

It is not as if we are pinning all out hopes on Fryatt either, looking at pre-season it looks as if we will be starting with DJ and Hume as first choice strikers. As has been said before, this season is a big season for Fryatt and it is up to him to prove that he can be a worthwhile asset for this club and try and force his way into a starting spot, if not then it would be expected that he will be shipped out as he is not offering us anything.

I just feel letting him go now would be a big mistake, as Dunc says, a lot of players have the old cliche '2nd season syndrome' look at Rooney for United and England last season, he went quite a while without scoring but do their fans call for him to be shipped out because he is going through a bad spell? Of course not!!! And what irritates me even more is when people post saying that MDV should be kept, when it is clear to see he is just a con-artist pretending to be a footballer!! (not saying you do that Steve-O, it just really pisses me off and had to get it out!!) :)

MA has clearly indicated he looks to off the field matters as being significant to a footballer and the signs are in his preseason assessment he thinks even MDV is a better bet than Fryatt.

Scored more goals than Fryatt.

Why compare the possible sale of fryatt and giving MDV another chance nobody is offering for MDV so while he is on the payroll get some use out of him

That's the spirit :icon_roll

I honestly think we will struggle to maintain a top half position this season. There are a lot of good teams in the Championship that are actual teams so to speak, whereas we are a bunch of blokes put together this season, with little understanding of each other. We need to be a 'team' before we go up if we want to stay there.

I really hope I'm wrong and we do better than I predict, its just after the last 3 seasons of being optimistic, I have been left completely deflated about our prospects after the very first game!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46