Votes: 73 62.9%
  • Undecided:

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Get rid at the end of the season:

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
the conditions for any manager are far better than at any time in our history, we have had sustained investment on and off the pitch, a supportive owner and skill (or luck) in the recruitment process
By what metric?

Our net transfer spend the last 5 seasons is £113m (less than Wolves, West Ham, Bournemouth (!), Brighton, Everton and Aston Villa to name a few).

Our gross spend of £381m is significantly below Everton (as an example). Despite them having Benitez as manager (who several posters on here thought was a great recruit, and even mentioned that they would be Top 4...).

Yes, we've invested in a new training ground, but that only opened after BR achieved most of the successes discussed above.

I personally couldn’t give two ****s about transfer spends. We won the league with a team worth £23m.

Forget the spends, we have a great squad of players and we’ve seen what they’re capable of over the past couple of years. This season is a disaster whichever way people want to spin it.

I personally couldn’t give two ****s about transfer spends. We won the league with a team worth £23m.

Forget the spends, we have a great squad of players and we’ve seen what they’re capable of over the past couple of years. This season is a disaster whichever way people want to spin it.

I think disaster is a bit over the top. This season has been a disappointment, but it disaster? Not even close.

You are either attention seeking or depressed. Considering the injuries that we've had we're probably about where we should be.

Sorry, disaster? ****ing hell. As others have said, hugely disappointing but disastrous?

That falls squarely into relegation and getting thrashed most weeks. We are miles ahead of that and in the semi final of a cup, no matter how ‘tin pot’ you think it is.

Perspective is the key word here, and you need to get some.

What a load of wibble!

I wish my other half was as easily satisfied as you lot.

It's time to see where we can go from?:
- Two of our three highest ever league position finishes since 1963
- Our first ever FA Cup win
- Our second ever Charity Shield win
- Our first every European semi-final
- Our highest ever manager win percentage in the top league

I can tell you the answer now, and and it's not up...

I'm equally disappointed by the team's performance for the last 18 months. But we're still over-achieving by most metrics, despite us all agreeing that we're not playing well.

And for reference, when I weigh up the above with on-the-pitch performance, I still voted undecided. I just think that the statistics based on most club's managerial recruitment (ours included) suggest that we'd more than likely regret sacking BR.
I'm not suggesting that we can kick on. Or even maintain that record. By "where we can go" I mean in terms of mitigating what I suspect will be an inevitable decline from the heights you've quoted.

I'm a realist & in the modern game we can't expect to stay where we are. Spurs & Arsenal will improve. Man U won't be shit forever. Against that background I don't think CL qualification by league position is going to be achievable again. We missed that boat (twice) Other clubs will rise & have a year or 2 of over achievement.

My point is that BR doesn't strike me as the type of manager to be able to steer through such a period. He's predictable, set in his ways & seems to think his players are capable of things they're not.

I just don't want to see a downturn end up as a crisis.

& of course. I'm desperately hopeful that I'm wrong about all of this.

Summer recruitment will tell us a lot.

We’re below Newcastle now. If we’re not careful we could very easily finish 15th.

It’s a shitfest of the highest order.

By what metric?

Our net transfer spend the last 5 seasons is £113m (less than Wolves, West Ham, Bournemouth (!), Brighton, Everton and Aston Villa to name a few).

Our gross spend of £381m is significantly below Everton (as an example). Despite them having Benitez as manager (who several posters on here thought was a great recruit, and even mentioned that they would be Top 4...).

Yes, we've invested in a new training ground, but that only opened after BR achieved most of the successes discussed above.
Just **** off with your dumb metric bollocks, I made my position clear

We’re below Newcastle now. If we’re not careful we could very easily finish 15th.

It’s a shitfest of the highest order.

If we win the JPT and finish 15th I'd take that over a 10th finish. The danger for me is we're going into games being content with being shit because of the JPT. if Roma are any good on Thurs we're done. Then we have nowt to play for at all.

I'm just bored to death by him and his ****ing system.

And the thought of him having any input to transfers is terrifying.

If we win the JPT and finish 15th I'd take that over a 10th finish. The danger for me is we're going into games being content with being shit because of the JPT. if Roma are any good on Thurs we're done. Then we have nowt to play for at all.
And then some will also be out of excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669