Brexit

Yep talking with colleagues and friends some of which I have known for over 10 years and them all saying IR35 clearly isn't good enough.

There's no point in continuing this conversation with you as you have read a few articles online so they must all be true, maybe you voted remain and you still haven't accepted the result so will just keep blaming everything on Brexit. keep your tinfoil hat on and you'll be safe.
All the foil hats were bought up in bulk by Brexiteers and Covid deniers. I believe one TB mod has a whole spare bedroom full of them.

I don’t think your anecdote really confirms anything, the world is bigger than you and your work mates.

Yep talking with colleagues and friends some of which I have known for over 10 years and them all saying IR35 clearly isn't good enough.

There's no point in continuing this conversation with you as you have read a few articles online so they must all be true, maybe you voted remain and you still haven't accepted the result so will just keep blaming everything on Brexit. keep your tinfoil hat on and you'll be safe.

ah, after the inablitity to prove me wrong, and the caps lock, comes the ad hominem.... standard Brexiteer stuff

how dare i read stuff, reading things is no match for you talking to a bloke or two at work

maybe you voted leave and can't accept the problems Brexit is bringing?

the tinfoil hat is all yours, wear it well

tinfoil hat....the sort of thing associated with people who take a stance against the mainstream view, despite overwhelming evidence

so, the sort of person who rejects the FT, the Daily Mail, the RHA and every reputable newsource...because someone at work said it was IR35

yeah, that's me

ah, after the inablitity to prove me wrong, and the caps lock, comes the ad hominem.... standard Brexiteer stuff

how dare i read stuff, reading things is no match for you talking to a bloke or two at work

maybe you voted leave and can't accept the problems Brexit is bringing?

the tinfoil hat is all yours, wear it well
Sorry, you are incorrect. IR35 has had a massive impact on recruitment predominantly from abroad.

If you don’t understand or choose to ignore that a 20% reduction in pay has forced people from abroad to stay at home for the same pay (after the 20%) then you are deluded.

The RHA, as you, make statements to back up your agenda. Facts are facts, but I wouldn’t advise you to ask any HGV drivers why they have gone hone as their answer clearly won’t support your ill conceived opinion that it has been caused by Brexit.

The Daily Mail FFS, what has Piers Morgan said on the subject?

ill-conceived opinion that it has been caused by Brexit.

ill conceived, in your opinion

you're saying that the new outlets have it wrong and Brexit has nothing to do with it?

and that you know more about these things than....say...journalists at the FT or Daily Mail

they are all ill concieved?

what a remarkable cooincidence

as for IR35....is it in Northern Ireland?

This whole discussion is a bit of a simplistic look at the problems facing the hospitality industry. I appreciate that it’s focusing on the delivery drivers in the article, so that’s why this thread is discussing that aspect, but the problems go deeper than that and the whole supply chain is under strain, on top of the staffing issues that venues face. Many of these are, without question, consequences of Brexit, but I appreciate I’m talking about issues that are not related directly to that article.

Forgive my ignorance, but hasn't the IR35 change been a few years in the making and only serves to collect tax that was being evaded anyway?

I think his point was that even the Daily Mail, despite its hard-line Brexit hard-on, still blames it for the shortage. I don't think he was saying it was a bastion of truth. I hope.

Indeed, there isn't much controversy in the media, they all think Brexit is a big factor in the driver shortage

Forgive my ignorance, but hasn't the IR35 change been a few years in the making and only serves to collect tax that was being evaded anyway?
Depends on your definition of “evade” :) if it’s legal to pay yourself less in corporation tax on dividends than on national insurance and income tax…. That’s tax “efficient” ;) But yeah it was to stop that sort of thing. Been years in the making and lots of delays too. Not a massive expert, but have a lot of IT contractor friends it affects

Depends on your definition of “evade” :) if it’s legal to pay yourself less in corporation tax on dividends than on national insurance and income tax…. That’s tax “efficient” ;) But yeah it was to stop that sort of thing. Been years in the making and lots of delays too. Not a massive expert, but have a lot of IT contractor friends it affects
By evade I meant more that the original system but the burden on the intermediaries and the trader, and was largely ignored.

You have just answered the exact reason I heard 14 times on why our drivers left the UK.
Not a single mention of Brexit in there.

You have just answered the exact reason I heard 14 times on why our drivers left the UK.
Because they wanted to continue avoiding paying tax? Brave of them to admit that.

Also, I can't imagine why somebody wouldn't say to you that they were leaving because post-Brexit visa requirements were so much tougher. You seem so willing to listen.

Because they wanted to continue avoiding paying tax? Brave of them to admit that.
They did nothing wrong and its common knowledge that the thousands of EE drivers were all using IR35.
Plenty of sports stars, comedians and highly paid individuals were using offshore companies to avoid paying tax with 0% loans given in return with no repayment dates in effect laundering their earnings, if I remember correctly Jimmy Carr got plenty of abuse for doing it.
Why is it brave in the haulage industry its common knowledge
If I could massively reduce my tax bill I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought

Also, I can't imagine why somebody wouldn't say to you that they were leaving because post-Brexit visa requirements were so much tougher. You seem so willing to listen.
Because the company helped anyone that wanted help with visas, like I've said repeatedly the sole reason for leaving was the end of IR35 and the 20k pay cut that it brought

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463