Brexit

What's that **** Farage doing these days?
He's running a service in partnership with one of those dodgy online business opportunity publishers where he advises on investments. Despite being totally unqualified to do so. Highlights so far include investing in Europe :043::043:... along with moving a proportion of your assets into gold & silver (roughly 5 years after reputable advisors said to do the same)

So. Yeah. That.

Those people who blame Brexit do not know what they are talking about. Those who do not blame Brexit do not know what they are talking about. You do not know what you are talking about/ I do not know what I am talking about. In 50 years time some historian will perhaps know the answer on Brexit. Meanwhile let us have a little less certainty.

Those people who blame Brexit do not know what they are talking about. Those who do not blame Brexit do not know what they are talking about. You do not know what you are talking about/ I do not know what I am talking about. In 50 years time some historian will perhaps know the answer on Brexit. Meanwhile let us have a little less certainty.

Nobody can measure the economic effects of Brexit, not people with degrees in Economics, not people paid by investment companies to be experts on the economy, not those who promised it would be beneficial?

So, if an IT system has to be implemented because of new border checks, new border checks because of a regulatory change brought about by Brexit... and this causes delays at the border... we have to wait 50 years to assert culpability?

Maybe we should wait 50 years to see if climate change is real, because there is no such thing as objective truth until we're all dead

Inflation came in as 7% today...but I wouldn't give that much credence, check again in 2072

And it's 8.5% in the US.

As you well know, Brexit isn't the primary driving force behind the inflationary pressures.

That's a fantastic point, which really would counter the bit where I said "Brexit totally caused the 7% inflation"

Only, I didn't say that

But don't let that stop your whataboutery

Maybe we should wait 50 years to see if climate change is real, because there is no such thing as objective truth until we're all dead

To be fair, we didn’t know Hitler was the baddie until 1995

Well I did not expect such extraordinary responses. No doubt some will be bemused by Hitler and climate change being linked to Brexit. I have come across worse. A lady asked me if I realised that the EU headquarters were the same shape as Babylon . At a time like this I miss Macky. He liked to post on History and his views were to put it kindly rather unique..
I think that Darth (one of the most sensible posters) has misunderstood. I never suggested that there is no such thing as objective truth. Russia invaded Ukraine; Ukraine did not invade Russia. Otherwise I think Darth is confusing action with results. To take BMs point we were right to take action against Hitler when he invaded Poland but few people expected that the result would be Poland becoming a Russian satellite. Results are unpredictable at the time. It may be that the next fifty years will see the EU thriving or it may fall apart. Historians are not prophets.
David Starkey rightly likes to point out that the first Brexit happened under Henry VIII, Nobody at the time realised the result would be Britain becoming a great naval power.

Well I did not expect such extraordinary responses. No doubt some will be bemused by Hitler and climate change being linked to Brexit. I have come across worse. A lady asked me if I realised that the EU headquarters were the same shape as Babylon . At a time like this I miss Macky. He liked to post on History and his views were to put it kindly rather unique..
I think that Darth (one of the most sensible posters) has misunderstood. I never suggested that there is no such thing as objective truth. Russia invaded Ukraine; Ukraine did not invade Russia. Otherwise I think Darth is confusing action with results. To take BMs point we were right to take action against Hitler when he invaded Poland but few people expected that the result would be Poland becoming a Russian satellite. Results are unpredictable at the time. It may be that the next fifty years will see the EU thriving or it may fall apart. Historians are not prophets.
David Starkey rightly likes to point out that the first Brexit happened under Henry VIII, Nobody at the time realised the result would be Britain becoming a great naval power.

I'd certainly bet 10p that in fifty years time our descendents won't be brexplaining the mildly inconvenient Great Lorry Queueing scandal of 2022, where this current debate started a few days ago.

I may be living in a fool's paradise, but the only effect it seems to be having on me is a momentary raising of my heart rate when I get on the M1 at Markfield where the gantry flashing lights alarmingly warn me of the M20, some 150 miles south, being closed between junctions 8 and 12.

In other news, I think you referring to the Breugel painting "The Tower of Babel", whose image reminds me of a half-eaten Melton Mowbray Pork Pie, to be avoided for much the same reasons as the EU Parliament Building in Strasbourg.

I never suggested that there is no such thing as objective truth

It was reductio ad absurbam from me

I would counter the point of having to wait for 50 years with...why?

The OBR have already deemed Brexit a bigger hit to GDP than Covid19... are we really saying that they can't make that assertion?

I take your point that there is uncertainty, but there is uncertainty in the amount of daylight tomorrow, but we can still predict and measure with a reasonable degree of accuracy

We have a tsunami of regulatory red tape, with the subsequent checks and technology backing up the Dover crossing. We have a hit to the economy and a slump in exports. All of this is real, now and costing real people money and jobs

The "sunlit uplands" narrative has had a collision with reality, it's gone from "it will be great" to "it won't be as bad as remoaners say" to... "well it might be ok in 50 years" there's only so much looking at a bird that quacks and waddles you can do whilst denying it's a duck

With rampant inflation and the highest taxes since WW2, the government do not have a growing economy to ease the pain on all of us. For all the Ladybird book of bullshit nostalgia that Brexiteers love, they HAVE taken us back to the 70s, the sick man of Europe

No doubt some will be bemused by Hitler and climate change being linked to Brexit

I didn't link climate change to Brexit... it was a rhetorical device, reduction ad absurbam, again - showing that if you believe you can't measure anything for 50 years...how far does that go...?

It's reductio ad absurdum.

Bravo, you spotted a latin spelling typo

I have to admit, it's not my first language

Didn't you mistype there/their the other day?

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564
10Preston 4563