Cambiasso to stay another year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he actually say he'd make him captain? Because I've seen others say it, but not as a quote... CR's quote was that Cambiasso is a leader.

Fair enough, I was just going on what the local press had said.

He led on the pitch without being captain last season, so there's nothing to stop him doing the same this. That would save him the other captain jobs like school visits which, while nice, I can understand someone not wanting to do.

From the Mercury ...

Rudkin said Cambiasso was about to start his coaching badges and said City would help him with his studies if he re-signed.

"His focus is on the football side," he said.

"He is seeking coach qualifications in the near future and I am sure we have enough people here at the club that could nurture him as and when he decides to take that plunge."

I do believe that brings up my 12k :)

He led on the pitch without being captain last season, so there's nothing to stop him doing the same this. That would save him the other captain jobs like school visits which, while nice, I can understand someone not wanting to do.

Why is visiting schools the captain's job?
Surely all players are expected to do community stuff, not just the captain.

Some clubs have a 'club captain', who does the off-field stuff, and a team captain who just concentrates on what happens on the pitch.

CR is known for his man management skills, I cannot see him announcing his Captain, until (a) Big Wes is back so he can talk to him and explain his decision, and (b) that his description of Cambiasso as a 'leader' can be interpreted as a change of Captain, its a big assumption.

Some tabloids reporting this as an ultimatum to Cambiasso:

Ranieri said: “I've had a conversation with him, I have spoken to him. I know him from Inter Milan, I coached him there.
“I said to him 'I need you, everybody loves you in Leicester, please come back'.
"He told me he wants to wait and look at all the opportunities offered to him and then he will choose.
“But we need 'yes or no' because at the start of the season he is a team leader and, if he doesn't come, I need another team leader. We don't start the season without a player like him."

It isn't an ultimatum it a simple statement of fact, Of course the Club need to know, which Club wouldn't. The tabloids simply want a headline, its just cheap nasty journalism.

Why is visiting schools the captain's job?
Surely all players are expected to do community stuff, not just the captain.

Some clubs have a 'club captain', who does the off-field stuff, and a team captain who just concentrates on what happens on the pitch.
Because the kids want to have a meeting with the real captain, not some benchwarmer without authority, they'd take that as an insult and relations would suffer.

Based on the time it took last season for Cambiasso to make a decision, it's fairly obvious that he takes his own time to make up his mind. I can't see any evidence that CR has offered to make him captain and more importantly I doubt if it is relevant to Cambiasso's decision making. As someone mentioned the other day, pre-season training doesn't appear to be one of his main priorities. I guess he thinks he's done enough of that over the years - the pre-season games themselves always look slightly pointless except being a sure way of losing a few players through injury.

The best thing the club can do if they are desperate to bring him back is to tempt him with a shed load of money.

If they tried to tempt me with a shed load of money I'd sign.

Do people honestly think that he isn't keeping himself fit whilst he decides? Somebody of his calibre is going to be able to fit into out system without huge amounts of pre-season anyway.

I can confirm he's not been as enthusiastic as he was last season about his fitness.

My Dad took this when he'd just walked through into arrivals at East Mids from his holiday in June. Needless to say he's been banned from the local carvery.

thumb_COLOURBOX10530993.jpg

I can confirm he's not been as enthusiastic as he was last season about his fitness.

My Dad took this when he'd just walked through into arrivals at East Mids from his holiday in June. Needless to say he's been banned from the local carvery.

thumb_COLOURBOX10530993.jpg
Hint of Norwich there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572