Campbell out for 12 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree with you. Campbell is the only natural goalscorer at the club and as such, is worth his weight in gold. I'd go as far as to say that he's the only natural goalscorer we've had since Cottee left! The fact that he hasn't had a decent run in the team or any service from midfield worthy of him, is the only reason why this isn't widely acknowledged.

He was brought in by MA and was clearly rocked by his sudden departure, hence a couple of wobbly appearances following the departure. However, he and IH will get on famously. IH said that Cambell had looked lost playing against Plymouth earlier this season and that he couldn't wait to put his arm round him and sort him out because he was a very good player. It's a major blow that we are going to have to wait 3 months for this to happen now.

Anybody who believes we are better off with the likes of Hume and Fryatt up front are delusional muppets.

I don’t think you need to analyse this topic too deeply. The fact of the matter is he’s blatantly the best striker we’ve got. His scoring record shouldn't be scrutinised too much at this point because he’s by far a better player than Fryatt, Hume, and Cort.

When we had John & DJ playing together up front, the first half against Colchester was the most dangerous we’ve looked going forward all season. They actually give us the attacking threat we’ve lacked for years with the footballing incompetence of Fryatt & Hume.

Last edited:
so why did he look shite before MA left?

He didn't. He scored two goals in three games under MA.

The main problem people have with Campbell is the fact that he appears to be out of the game and lazy. This is the same accusation levelled against almost every goalscorer in history. A perfect example at Leicester would be Lineker. A man who was often slated for his lack of contribution to the team and general uselessness before he suddenly became a Leicester legend.

You give Campbell 100 chances and he'll score you 40 goals. You give Hume 100 chances, he'll score 10, Fryatt maybe 15. In a nutshell, that's the difference between them.

I don’t think you need to analyse this topic too deeply. The fact of the matter is he’s blatantly the best striker we’ve got. His scoring record shouldn't be scrutinised too much at this point because he’s by far a better player than Fryatt, Hume, and Cort.

When we had John & DJ playing together up front, the first half against Colchester was the most dangerous we’ve looked going forward all season. They actually give us the attacking threat we’ve lacked for years with the footballing incompetence of Fryatt & Hume.

Feck we must have looked bad this season from what I can remember that match was pretty dire stuff

to me campbell is similar to hume they both run around and then when they get good chances to score they fluff them :102:

He didn't. He scored two goals in three games under MA.

The main problem people have with Campbell is the fact that he appears to be out of the game and lazy. This is the same accusation levelled against almost every goalscorer in history. A perfect example at Leicester would be Lineker. A man who was often slated for his lack of contribution to the team and general uselessness before he suddenly became a Leicester legend.

You give Campbell 100 chances and he'll score you 40 goals. You give Hume 100 chances, he'll score 10, Fryatt maybe 15. In a nutshell, that's the difference between them.

are you suggesting then that he has only had 60 goal scoring chances in his professional career?

He has played 11 games for us,its slightly early to be drawing conclusions.I'm not saying he isn't our best striker indeed I think all of our Strikers would improve if they had a midfield behind them

He has played 11 games for us,its slightly early to be drawing conclusions.I'm not saying he isn't our best striker indeed I think all of our Strikers would improve if they had a midfield behind them

i agree with you there!!

are you suggesting then that he has only had 60 goal scoring chances in his professional career?

Given his very short professional career to date I would say that this is highly probable. Having not seen every one of his games though, I cannot verify it.

The example was intended to illustrate the difference between a goalscorer and a forward. Give Campbell a 46 game season and an average number of chances and he will score you 20 odd goals because that is what he does. Due to his short professional career to date and injuries, he has yet to prove it. However, if you've seen him play a few times, you cannot miss the obvious 'goalscorer' credentials.

No other player at the club can come anywhere near this as several of them have proved over recent years.

However, if you've seen him play a few times, you cannot miss the obvious 'goalscorer' credentials.

I've seen him plenty times both for City and Birmingham. I have obviously missed these obvious credentials as he appears to be lacking in pace/positioning and also finishing

I love this - the thread boils down to an argument about not who our best striker is but who is the least shit...

And that's why we'll miss him no less than anyone else.

I love this - the thread boils down to an argument about not who our best striker is but who is the least shit..

nail on the head. i think pound for pound Mr Campbell wins on the waste of money award

Who is best at the moment then?

Until we have seen the Hammond / Cort partnership in operation then I think that it is unfair to judge

But in my opinion, what little I have seen of Collins John suggests he is better than anything else we have - but impossible to tell, really as no one has had a decent run in the side (apart from Hume, who we all know it shit, but will probably be voted player of the year again by the BM army)

Wasted 50p e/w on DJ to be top scorer in the championship :bang:

try not to bet on your own team, end up betting with your heart instead of your head...ffs i put a bet on us to go up last season even though i knew we wouldn't

Given his very short professional career to date I would say that this is highly probable. Having not seen every one of his games though, I cannot verify it.

The example was intended to illustrate the difference between a goalscorer and a forward. Give Campbell a 46 game season and an average number of chances and he will score you 20 odd goals because that is what he does. Due to his short professional career to date and injuries, he has yet to prove it. However, if you've seen him play a few times, you cannot miss the obvious 'goalscorer' credentials.

No other player at the club can come anywhere near this as several of them have proved over recent years.

For the second time in recent months I have to again say I agree with my erstwhile advisary, Brown Nose. Is this a touch of christmas spirit? Has a bottle of christmas sherry been opened in the office? No! Campbell seems clearly fit two main discriptions
1) He is a lazy so and so
2) He is a natural goalscorer.
He may be lazy, but he is not ineffective. As in BN's earlier post, many goalscorers have fitted this discription. I am not saying Campbell is a great striker but the likelihood is he is a very good one at championship level and if the midfield and his strike partner played as well as the defence have for much of the season, I would have seen him getting close to 20 goals. From midfielders we need players with energy, creativity & a high workrate. This is not necessarily needed from both of your two forwards - some are just scoring machines and little else. Which is enough.

I'm not arsed about Campbell, complete waste of money IMO.

I'd like to see Collins john get more of a run out. Probably alongside Fryatt for the time being. I thought Fryatt was going to do well at us when he first joined. I thought he had a natual goalscoring tendency, but he seems to have slipped into everyone elses lethagic ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669