Cardiff 2 Leicester 3, lost on pens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, let's get some perspective on this. Yann stepped up to the plate to take a penalty in one of the most high pressure situations he might ever face. He did what he thought would work and it didn't. Another time, another day, it probably would.

Waggy stepped up next to take one and did what he thought would work and it didn't.

Credit to both of them for doing their best in a bad situation.

The fact is, it should never have got to penalties in the first place. We were in front and gave away a stupid penalty. The fact that the ref's assistant chose to ignore the fact that Chopra was a mile offside is, at this point, neither here nor there.

We spent most of the game under the cosh. We struggled to deal with what Cardiff were doing and nearly every time they came forward they looked dangerous.

Don't berate Kermogant for what he did (not unless you're prepared to do the same for Waggy). The game should have been won well before the end of 90 minutes.

We have surpassed the initial expectations of just about every single Leicester City supporter who was at Stoke to witness what happened two years ago.

Now is not the time for blame or recriminations. Now is the time to go away, sit somewhere quiet and lick the bits that are sore. Come out of your corner in a week or two and look forward to what we can achieve next year.

We have been exceptional in just about every department this season. The backbone and spirit has returned to Leicester City.

Now is the time to be proud to be a Leicester City supporter.

COME ON YOU BLUE BOYS.

Absolutely top notch.

and dont say "he proved himself with that penno" because he didnt. Lets see how hes doing (if hes given a chance) January next season.

The real key for success next season is keeping Pearson. He has proved he has an eye for available talent in the loan market. Everyone was saying Martyn who in when we signed Waghorn, who knows what is targeeted for next year.
Pearson must be developing / consolidating a reputation for nuturing and improving pemiership youth players.

No posts for four years and finally my writers block has gone!!!!!

Hes not shit. He has yet to prove himself imo.

Jesus.....

When exactly is he going to prove himself? He proved himself to be an absolute arrogant twat ignorant of all the effor that was put in before he swanned onto the pitch.....I was proud of our lads today, but that French **** swanned on and passed it to their keeper for ****s sake.

Next year should be a more open league I think. I'm not sure about Portsmouth but I don't expect Burnley to be doing very well at all and I think Hull might be somewhere around the play-offs/halfway house.

We've had some valuable experience of playing in big games for the current squad atleast. The main thing for next year is to keep the core of the squad together and hopefully bring in some handy loan signings or affordable bargain buys (I'd still go for Kevin Phillips).

As far as we are concerned it might be best if Cardiff go up, as it will be one less quality team to challenge next year. Even if Blackpool go up though you'd expect they'll wanna buy DJ and finally be in a position to afford him so that wouldn't be all bad news either..

Next year should be a more open league I think. I'm not sure about Portsmouth but I don't expect Burnley to be doing very well at all and I think Hull might be somewhere around the play-offs/halfway house.

We've had some valuable experience of playing in big games for the current squad atleast. The main thing for next year is to keep the core of the squad together and hopefully bring in some handy loan signings or affordable bargain buys (I'd still go for Kevin Phillips).

As far as we are concerned it might be best if Cardiff go up, as it will be one less quality team to challenge next year. Even if Blackpool go up though you'd expect they'll wanna buy DJ and finally be in a position to afford him so that wouldn't be all bad news either..

I've been saying for many weeks that staying in this division could work well if we keep our best players and build from there. That is a very big IF though! We could quite as easily sell off Hobbs, Morrisson etc and replace them with a bunch of Yanns and Stephen Hugheseseseseses

If we can keep Hobbs and King, I think we'll be ok. I can't see any team in the prem coming in for any of our other players.

If we can keep Hobbs and King, I think we'll be ok. I can't see any team in the prem coming in for any of our other players.

I have a bad feeling that Bolton may come in for Hobbs if they lose Cahill to a bigger club - either that or another lower table Prem side. Hopefully we make him permanent captain and he satys to lead us to the title.

Just got back from the university sports bar, so gutted. Had a Leicester fan behind me ruining the game by shouting abuse at Cardiff for the whole two and a half hours. It was like he was more concerned about Cardiff.

We played with so much passion and belief. I loved the silence from the Cardiff fans when we were scoring, it seemed too good to be true, I really believe it was over after their first goal. But credit to our players and coaching staff for believing they could do it.

Fryatt, what a strike.

Before today, I'd never really seen much in Howard. Yeah, he could head balls down, and hold the ball up, but I never really thought that was enough. But after tonight, I hope he stays for next season, he made such a difference.

Yann Kermogant, when you're trying to prove yourself, don't try that sort of penalty in such a crucial game, no matter how good you think you are.

How many wrong decisions will it take for video replays to be introduced into football? When so much is at stake, it annoys me that no one will talk about that offside ever again. I wish they could do something about that, anything!!

But to be honest, the better team won. It was like the first leg, every time they attacked, they looked like scoring. We defended well and this time we took our chances, but I'd rather we wouldn't play them next season. Hopefully, we can build now for next season, and get up to the standard that can bring us to the premiership. With Portsmouth, Hull and Burnley being the relegated teams, I really believe anything is possible.

I'm proud to be a Leicester fan :038:

Just a sidenote, I really thought if we had gone up, Heskey would have finished his career with us. Damn!

Fantastic display, work rate and commitment by each and every one of the players, first 20 minutes I feared a drubbing but we reacted brilliantly to come back and take the lead. Clumsy tackle by Bruce for the penalty but I felt Weale should have taken responsibility in that situation and cleaned out the ball and Chopra. As far as the decision Chopra was marginally offside however it was touch and go and in the intensity of the match it is unfair to lay blame at the linesman.

As for the penalties, fair play to all 5 for having the bottle to step up and take responsibility, I have nothing but admiration I also hold no blame to any indvidual in that scenario and under that pressure for missing, however in Kermorgant's case it is the manner of the miss, in such an important game to step up and take that kind of penalty was unforgiveable and shows a lack of a football brain. After watching the players work tirelessly to get a foothold back in the tie and battle to penalties with so much riding on the game, to take a penalty in that manner was ridiculous and contemptable. If he had smashed it and the keeper saved it or he ballooned it over the bar then all would be forgiven but to step up and try something like that was pure and utter reckless.

As for the future, I hope we can keep the likes of Hobbs, King and Morrison as they can be the long term future of the club, but most important is to keep Pearson and his management team here. They have done a fantastic job and made us all proud of supporting Leicester.

Rhydal, congratulations on reaching the final, your team play good open entertaining football and in Mark Kennedy and Dave Jones you have two of football's genuine good guys, the way they both conducted themselves after the game was superb and very sporting. Good luck in the final.

Last word to Stevie Howard and Nobby Solano who were both immense last night not only in the way they played but their passion and commitment to the cause and the way they managed to get through 120 minutes at their stage of their careers shows testament to their professionalism. Also both were exceptional in the penalty shoot out.

Last word to Stevie Howard and Nobby Solano who were both immense last night not only in the way they played but their passion and commitment to the cause and the way they managed to get through 120 minutes at their stage of their careers shows testament to their professionalism. Also both were exceptional in the penalty shoot out.
Nobby's penalty, ladies and gentlemen :038: :038: :038: :beer:

The long drive home along the M4 gives you plenty of thinking time, and the only conclusion that I came to last night was that I'm very proud of my city and I'm very proud of my team. A fantastic effort last night was synonymous with the last two seasons.

It still hurts though...

Fantastic display, work rate and commitment by each and every one of the players, first 20 minutes I feared a drubbing but we reacted brilliantly to come back and take the lead. Clumsy tackle by Bruce for the penalty but I felt Weale should have taken responsibility in that situation and cleaned out the ball and Chopra. As far as the decision Chopra was marginally offside however it was touch and go and in the intensity of the match it is unfair to lay blame at the linesman.

As for the penalties, fair play to all 5 for having the bottle to step up and take responsibility, I have nothing but admiration I also hold no blame to any indvidual in that scenario and under that pressure for missing, however in Kermorgant's case it is the manner of the miss, in such an important game to step up and take that kind of penalty was unforgiveable and shows a lack of a football brain. After watching the players work tirelessly to get a foothold back in the tie and battle to penalties with so much riding on the game, to take a penalty in that manner was ridiculous and contemptable. If he had smashed it and the keeper saved it or he ballooned it over the bar then all would be forgiven but to step up and try something like that was pure and utter reckless.

As for the future, I hope we can keep the likes of Hobbs, King and Morrison as they can be the long term future of the club, but most important is to keep Pearson and his management team here. They have done a fantastic job and made us all proud of supporting Leicester.

Rhydal, congratulations on reaching the final, your team play good open entertaining football and in Mark Kennedy and Dave Jones you have two of football's genuine good guys, the way they both conducted themselves after the game was superb and very sporting. Good luck in the final.

Sums it all up nicely.

Gutted. Was in Loaded Dog and it soon went empty. So close to Wembley. Never felt confident when it went to penalties but then the first 3 went in and i thought here we go then boys. But my thoughts turned to dread when i saw it was kermit. I don't know why it just did.

Onto next season. I feel we'll be in with a shout if we keep pearson and the core of our squad and then add sensibly. Midfield, a striker and a right back needs to be added too.

Proud of the performance last night.

Have no problem with Yanns pen, he had the balls to step up and take one.

The only downside for me was Waghorn having to being helped off the pitch because he was so upset. He has been one of our best players this season and should hold his head up high, hope he comes back next year on loan and fires us to the prem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669