Cardiff (a) 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you select the comedy shows for BBC?

This thread has a similar effect to watching an episode of Miranda and Not going out simultaneously whilst someone scrapes their fingernails down a black board!

All I really want to know is how we played, was it just one of those days and are we still confident of making the playoffs? I really couldn't give a toss if someone played 'Center Back' or 'Center Half'. Does it really matter? Is the world going to stop or are there rather more important things to worry about?

This thread has a similar effect to watching an episode of Miranda and Not going out simultaneously whilst someone scrapes their fingernails down a black board!

All I really want to know is how we played, was it just one of those days and are we still confident of making the playoffs? I really couldn't give a toss if someone played 'Center Back' or 'Center Half'. Does it really matter? Is the world going to stop or are there rather more important things to worry about?

Praise Jebus :038::038:

Well said that man.

All I really want to know is how we played, was it just one of those days and are we still confident of making the playoffs?
I didn't see anything other than the highlights of the away leg at your place, but I know we had a severely depleted side on show which, despite taking the lead, wasn't up to the job.

I'm not sure if you were expecting the same easy ride, but it struck me you played that way.

There was very little in the way of creative movement, and bar an early sortie into our area, the majority of your shots came from 25 yards plus. You were easily contained. I'm guessing that the gelling process will take a little longer before you can match the sort of interpassing we displayed.

On a positive note, you have a good physical presence. Your man Sol at the back looks a solid defender, I just think you looked slightly disorganised and susceptable to pace down the wings. When Burkey came on, he had your left back tied in knots. Our second goal came from the other wing too and there always seemed to be space there. I would love to have seen what Bellamy would have done to you given that sort freedom.

In centre midfield, Oli and Rambo gave you no time at all. They have been a class double act and I am concerned about how our midfield will perform after the weekend. Tactically, I think you should have been able to use your wingers more to bypass this, but Super Kev had Dyer in his pocket most of the game, and the normally dodgy Quinn seemed to keep your other winger quiet too.

Was surprised you didn't start Vaseline. We're normally vulnerable to pace up the middle. I'd put this down as a tactical error by Sven. When he came on he was chasing a lost cause.

I'm guessing the Yak is quite a handful when he gets good service. Just had his air supply cut off. As for your keeper, he had no chance with either goal, other than that he seemed reasonably competent.

Someone else mentioned it earlier, if teams get into your centre midfield, then I fear you don't have a fallback plan. That said, you did play a very good Cardiff side.:icon_cool

Just watched the highlights, never seen such lethargic looking clips of football! Both teams looked very slow and uninteresting- pitch looked utterly atrocious too, is your groundsman part time or something? We didn't seem to get near goal today. whether or not that's a lack of creativity or good solid defending, Cardiff probably deserved it.

But, saying that, It's one game against a good side. not at all worried.

Well I do have a terribly childish sense of humour, but current BBC comedy is below even me, bar the Thick of It, of course. :icon_wink

Last edited:
I didn't see anything other than the highlights of the away leg at your place, but I know we had a severely depleted side on show which, despite taking the lead, wasn't up to the job.

I'm not sure if you were expecting the same easy ride, but it struck me you played that way.

There was very little in the way of creative movement, and bar an early sortie into our area, the majority of your shots came from 25 yards plus. You were easily contained. I'm guessing that the gelling process will take a little longer before you can match the sort of interpassing we displayed.

On a positive note, you have a good physical presence. Your man Sol at the back looks a solid defender, I just think you looked slightly disorganised and susceptable to pace down the wings. When Burkey came on, he had your left back tied in knots. Our second goal came from the other wing too and there always seemed to be space there. I would love to have seen what Bellamy would have done to you given that sort freedom.

In centre midfield, Oli and Rambo gave you no time at all. They have been a class double act and I am concerned about how our midfield will perform after the weekend. Tactically, I think you should have been able to use your wingers more to bypass this, but Super Kev had Dyer in his pocket most of the game, and the normally dodgy Quinn seemed to keep your other winger quiet too.

Was surprised you didn't start Vaseline. We're normally vulnerable to pace up the middle. I'd put this down as a tactical error by Sven. When he came on he was chasing a lost cause.

I'm guessing the Yak is quite a handful when he gets good service. Just had his air supply cut off. As for your keeper, he had no chance with either goal, other than that he seemed reasonably competent.

Someone else mentioned it earlier, if teams get into your centre midfield, then I fear you don't have a fallback plan. That said, you did play a very good Cardiff side.:icon_cool
Can't argue with any of that. We just weren't at the races, how much of that was down to Cardiff and how much down to us being poor is debatable, but we were second best throughout.

pitch looked utterly atrocious too, is your groundsman part time or something?
The combination of poor weather, and the sasquatch egg chasers have taken their toll.
That and the penny pinching at the club which means we haven't got the heat lamps we need to give the grass the sunlight supplement it needs.

I wonder whether the lack of a proper pre-season is beginning to catch up with us. It's around about now Swansea started to fall away last season.

Interesting weeks ahead

Last edited:

Sorry I should have specified 'in 2 lines or less', but thanks for putting in the effort :icon_wink:icon_bigg

He did an excellent job for us, but that doesn't mean I'd want him over a clearly more successful and better manager, who also plays much more enjoyable football.

How exactly have you seen plenty of Portuguese football?

All the top leagues in Europe only have 3 or 4 top teams, what is your point? Winning these leagues is a greater achievement because the quality of managers and players is better.

Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon have all achieved much, much, much more in Europe than any Scottish side in recent seasons,

What does "this century" have to do with it? Since when did the exact moment the clock turned to 00:00:00 on 01.01.2000 suddenly wipe all other achievements before that clean.

MON has had much more chance to win things this century, because he has been in club management, where a manager has 4 chances to win major silverware every year, the majority of this century Sven has spent in international management, where he has the chance of one major trophy every 2 years. Yet he has still won the double in Italy this century, an achievement which easily surpasses anything MON has done in it.

Again, my quoting isn't great, so I'll address things paragraph by paragraph.

1 - McGhee, Pleat, Hamilton - all standard-bearers of the 'beautiful game'. I'd sooner get promoted playing no-nonsense football any day, especially if you acquire players of the standard that O'Neill managed to acquire.

2 - I'm working in Spain. We get second rate Portuguese football on the box in much the same way as you get second rate Scottish football on the box.

3 - If the quality of managers in top European leagues is better than in the Scottish league, then that doesn't explain Celtic or Aberdeen's European successes (working on your principle that we can't discount past glories), nor does it explain Alex Ferguson, Jock Stein and, dare I say it, Martin O'Neill, who remains our club's best ever manager. On the other hand, it does suggest that the likes of Christian Gross, Jean Tigana, Rafa Benitez and Juande Ramos should have held on to their jobs for longer than they did.

4 -What have Benfica achieved in Europe in recent seasons?

5 - Again, if we have to bear in mind all past achievements and there's no possibility that a manager 'loses it' then why don't we bring in promotion maestro Dave Bassett, who's only a couple of years older than Sven? Or get Brian Little back! What about Big Ron?

6 -Sven has had plenty of opportunities to win trophies since leaving Lazio! What about three major international competitions with England, at the same time as the English league was ranked 1st / 2nd in the world? A team boasting Lampard, Gerard, Ferdinand, Terry, Owen (golden boot era), Cole, Rooney, Beckham should have done better... there wasn't an international football pundit who could fathom why those players weren't capable of winning a tournament, while the likes of Greece (starring Theo Zagorakis) and Italy were.

Managers DO lose it and the demands of English football are different to those of football overseas. There are plenty of half-decent foreign and even Premiership managers who screw up in the lower leagues (Coleman would be a recent example), just as there are many players who do the same. I like Sven, I think he's doing a decent job, but you shouldn't get carried away just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669