CD Buying Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
highland fox said:
Siberia-Echo and The Bunnymen

A return to form..

I love EATB but I have to say I was a teeny bit disappointed - the first half was great but by the end it sounded like they'd run out of ideas and it became 'Bunnymen by numbers'. Having said that I'd still probably put it in my top 10 albums of the year.

Top 5 Bunnymen albums:
1. Crocodiles
2. Ocean Rain
3. Porcupine
4. Heaven Up here
5. Evergreen

Ox Fox said:
I love EATB but I have to say I was a teeny bit disappointed - the first half was great but by the end it sounded like they'd run out of ideas and it became 'Bunnymen by numbers'. Having said that I'd still probably put it in my top 10 albums of the year.

Top 5 Bunnymen albums:
1. Crocodiles
2. Ocean Rain
3. Porcupine
4. Heaven Up here
5. Evergreen

Fair comment,I think it's a big improvement on the last 2 albums though which one or two tracks aside were dissapointing.'Ocean Rain' is my favourite Bunnymen album,one of my favourite albums by anyone ever actually.I've just ordered the new Mew album,the first one was OK.

highland fox said:
Fair comment,I think it's a big improvement on the last 2 albums though which one or two tracks aside were dissapointing.'Ocean Rain' is my favourite Bunnymen album,one of my favourite albums by anyone ever actually.I've just ordered the new Mew album,the first one was OK.

I kinda liked What Are You Going To Do With Your Life, but then again Mac could sing the phonebook and I'd probably 'dig' it.

A CD you may like to try HB is Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers by The National (if you haven't already).

Ox Fox said:
A CD you may like to try HB is Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers by The National (if you haven't already).

I'm sure I don't know what you mean............;)
And don't call me HB,I dread to think what the 'B' stands for.........

HB, Highland Bastard.
Hits the spot that...

highland fox said:
I'm sure I don't know what you mean............;)
And don't call me HB,I dread to think what the 'B' stands for.........

Sorry, should stop typing in these mittens.

MKFox said:
HB, Highland Bastard.
Hits the spot that...

I've told you once today already...shut your cakehole.
Anyway what about this link that tells us our ideal woman......looks popular

highland fox said:
Anyway what about this link that tells us our ideal woman......looks popular
25 people have been there, I hope they took the test and enjoyed the bottoms and bosoms of lots of lovely ladies.
If I throw a dog a bone I don't want to know how good it tastes...

I'll get the tumbleweed ready then?;)

highland fox said:
Who do The National sound like Ox ? who are they similat to?

this is from Amazon:

I'd never heard of The National before being turned onto them by a like-minded friend; let's just say I owe him for the recommendation. Big time.

Because Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers is worth buying for Cardinal Song and 90 Mile Water Wall alone, with repeated listens revealing that nearly all the other songs on it are fantastic too.

There's a fire in these songs that burns with the ferocity of prime American Music Club, and the soul of Lambchop and Tindersticks. To make comparisons is a bit unfair though, because The National pull off the uncommon trick of wearing their influences proudly, but still sounding original. And despite the bleak lives painted in the lyrics the music on this album is full of eyes-skywards melodicism and quiet inventiveness. That this is sustained over the full length of the album is invigorating indeed, and they even manage to hit a peak over the last few tracks, a rare pleasure in my experience.

Matt Berninger's voice is beautifully suited to this material, and the playing and arrangements consistently match up with the moods conjured, with gorgeously woozy strings on several tracks.

If any of the above appeals, then get hold of this forthwith. Easily in the top ten new albums this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This album resonates with resigned beauty captured by evocative music and articulated superbly by the deep rich voice of Matt Berninger. The songs tell of love and hate and that fine line that divides and joins our relationships. Despite the mostly bleak subject matter, there is something that is strangely uplifting about the album - almost life affirming, much as Willard Grant Conspiracy seem to have acheived with their musings on death on Regard the End. The alt-country-tinged "90-mile water wall" is at variance musically with the pounding drums, throbbing bass and screaming guitars and vocals of "Murder Me Rachael" but they convey their messages superbly.
The last track, "Lucky You" rounds off an excellent album probably best enjoyed alone, late on in the night in a mood-lit room with some fractured memories and a large glass of Macallan.........perhaps not for everyone then, but if that feeling has ever got to you, you'll enjoy this.

Have you got The National CD yet Highland or was it so awful you've just not commented? :102:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669