Community Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s our final pre-season friendly and nothing more. The venue is irrelevant.

If it wasn't for Covid, I'd snap your hand off for a ticket.

I don't fancy being in a stadium of 90k people in the current situation though, particularly before my 2nd jab and after seeing the scenes from the Euros (not that I'd be expecting it to be like that for this game, but just a reminder that the average football fan doesn't have much common sense or courtesy)

It's more than a friendly. Except in unusual circumstances, you only get to play in this game by winning something - and, lest anybody need reminding, we've done it that old-fashioned way.

These are the games big clubs play in, and Tottenham only wish it were them. What next? We win the Europa League this year and then moan about having to play the Super Cup?

I was excited about it. Another chance to take the child to Wembley.....plenty reasons for not bothering now. I'm not having second jab til September. Also got some rare time off work the following fortnight so not risking ****ing that off. Train prices obviously more than they would've been with a decent bit of notice.

It's more than a friendly. Except in unusual circumstances, you only get to play in this game by winning something - and, lest anybody need reminding, we've done it that old-fashioned way.

These are the games big clubs play in, and Tottenham only wish it were them. What next? We win the Europa League this year and then moan about having to play the Super Cup?
I agree. I won't be going, not because I don't want to but because I wouldn't feel comfortable in the current climate. I'll not belittle the game however; it's a reminder of how far we have come and I would much prefer to be a part of it than not.

If it weren't for covid I'd probably go. I couldn't be ****ed that it's considered a friendly - I hope we batter their second string, act like we've won the champions league and take home that 50p!

At our last outing to Wembley, hardly anyone was wearing a mask and even the stewards we’re using them as chin warmers. Add in a more transmissible strain of the virus, potentially a full stadium, no news about tickets, full price rail fares etc etc. There’s more to not like than to get excited about I’m afraid.

Booked a hotel for this long before the covid rates went through the roof, I'll probably still go as long as tickets aren't massively overpriced

The achievement of qualifying for the Community Shield is a massive deal. Just like winning the Europa League would be a massive deal. Winning the Premier League, FA Cup, or Europa League are all fantastic achievements.

But the game itself means absolutely nothing. It’s realistically no more important than the pre-season game against Burton. We’re looked at as a ‘bigger club’ because we won the Premier League and the FA Cup. Our status is not going to increase or decrease one iota based on the result of the Community Shield. Youri isn’t going to want to stay because we won that ‘trophy’. He might want to stay because we won the competition that got us into this game. We’re not going to attract better players because we are Community Shield winners.

It’s always two teams looking to get through the game with no injuries, giving a few debuts to new signings, not playing those involved in a summer tournament, and filled with multiple substitutions.

To those of you worrying about Covid by being in a large crowd, really look into the evidence.

It's a very difficult infection to catch outdoors. In normal circumstances, it's pretty tough to be close to someone who is infected for long enough at any football match. I can't really imagine a scenario in a stadium where it is dangerous. You would have to be in the face of someone who is contagious constantly for approx. 15 mins.

My rule of thumb is to maintain two out of three of the following when interacting with someone from outside my household: 1. Be outdoors, 2. Wear a mask, 3. Be at least 1m apart. It's not difficult to achieve that at any match.

I'd wear a mask in concourses and sanitise my hands after touching shared surfaces, but apart from that, I think it's safe to go to the game.

Personally I'd like to see us win it for the second time... not sure why everyone is not bothered. Fair enough it's not as impressive or important as say the FA Cup, League title, or even league cup but silverware is silverware. Not like we get the chance every year. Another honour for the club's trophy cabinet would be very nice indeed.

Definitely bothered about the game. Definitely want us to win. Dont agree with 90000 capacity. Particularly so soon after the euro debacle and with the enquiry incomplete.
Also - dont see it as a problem with the club that info has been delayed. info on everything from holidays to working to kids clubs is pretty much changing weekly so i think knickers should remain untwisted on this one.

To those of you worrying about Covid by being in a large crowd, really look into the evidence.

It's a very difficult infection to catch outdoors. In normal circumstances, it's pretty tough to be close to someone who is infected for long enough at any football match. I can't really imagine a scenario in a stadium where it is dangerous. You would have to be in the face of someone who is contagious constantly for approx. 15 mins.

My rule of thumb is to maintain two out of three of the following when interacting with someone from outside my household: 1. Be outdoors, 2. Wear a mask, 3. Be at least 1m apart. It's not difficult to achieve that at any match.

I'd wear a mask in concourses and sanitise my hands after touching shared surfaces, but apart from that, I think it's safe to go to the game.

I'm not sure I count a football stadium as truly outdoors - and you're a lot closer together than 1m.

I haven't looked at the evidence of it, but I certainly wouldn't want to risk being sat next to or in front of someone with Covid for 90+ mins. If the person behind you is having a coughing fit, I don't think it's going to matter that you're outdoors. I could be wrong, but certainly more risk than I'd want

I would say that it’s almost impossible to be 1m apart unless every alternate seat is empty as well as the ones immediately in front and behind you. Hardly anyone around me at the cup final were wearing masks and complete strangers were hugging each other when the goal was scored and when VAR overturned their goal.

My cousin caught it on Clapham Common during a party.

He knows who spread it and was not exactly in his face.

I went to Wembley for the FA Cup and some drunken twats were all over people.

It might count as outdoors when you're in your seat, but not when in the concourse queueing for a burger or in the toilets, or on the bus/tube.
Precisely. And the proximity in a stadium is much closer than in everyday outdoor activities.

I do find the general concern here rather surprising. Does this mean that many of you are also choosing to not go to our matches, i.e. Wolves in three weeks time?

The evidence I've seen from all the outdoor pilot events is that you have an approximate risk of 1 in 3,400 attending a game. So for a 32k attendance at the KP, you'd expect there to be 10 positive cases attributed to it.

That sort of risk is not going to go away. Possibly ever. Covid will be around and it will infect people. To me, the odds are sufficiently low as to cause me no real concern. I would also maintain that the 10 people infected at a typical match at the KP would likely to be doing something to increase their risk, which I wouldn't do. For example, I have no interest in hanging around in concourses or letting anyone scream into my face constantly for 15 mins. Unlike homer, I also have no interest in hanging around in the toilets.

If you're sensible, have been fully vaccinated and have no increased risk factors, just go and enjoy the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263