Connolly to Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have until tomorrow to sign these players! Isn't that when the dirty great window closes leaving us (in the event that DC goes) with NO strikers!!!!

Old Division 3 here we come!

What I meant to say, is that if Connolly goes we have until the end of tomorrow to sign replacements! Where are we going to get quality at short notice?!?!

I have no Idea Yorkie, but it is a bit tight to be selling and buying right now!

We have however been saying that we need a striker since the middle of last year! Why has nothing been done to strengthen the weakest area of the pitch!

IMO the defence is good, but the way in which we defend needs to be changed. This zonal shite does my head right in!!!

sildenafil said:
It's in the Mirror today that Wigan have been linked with a move for DC.

Shouldn't have got off to such a good scoring start. Tho' it hasn't helped us in the league.

Hello people. After much time as a lurker i have registered :)

Welcome. :038: :038: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: ;)

SilverFox said:
We have however been saying that we need a striker since the middle of last year! Why has nothing been done to strengthen the weakest area of the pitch!

Have you not heard about the striker we've signed from Fulham until the end of the year?

The one who has scored something like one first team goal. Yeah, I heard about him but I'm still looking for his name on the scoresheet!:icon_lol: ;)

SilverFox said:
What I meant to say, is that if Connolly goes we have until the end of tomorrow to sign replacements! Where are we going to get quality at short notice?!?!

Last week CL said:

"One of the things I have been conscious of doing is that, if anything happens on Saturday or Monday, I need to be able to move quickly.

I have had a look at areas of the pitch and made some lists of players who might be available if we have some sort of emergency before the window shuts.

Having worked through the transfer window in Scotland, I have realised the importance of having plans in place in case something comes up."

webmaster said:
Last week CL said:

"One of the things I have been conscious of doing is that, if anything happens on Saturday or Monday, I need to be able to move quickly.

I have had a look at areas of the pitch and made some lists of players who might be available if we have some sort of emergency before the window shuts.

Having worked through the transfer window in Scotland, I have realised the importance of having plans in place in case something comes up."

He's a Canny wee scot our Craig :)

I wonder if the teams he is planning on approaching (should he need to) actually know he plans to approach them. all I'm saying is that it would be very tight, and I'd hate to see us losing players without adequate replacements.

I suspect that If the Conners deal was to go ahead, we would be negotiating right now for his replacement(s) in anticipation of him moving to Wigan.

This is of course speculation...the Sunday people is harldy the fountain of all knowledge!:icon_lol:

For £3.5m I'd happily let him go. CL could buy 2 decent strikers with that and have money to spare, to hopefully buy a LB, and maybe still some left after that! £3.5m could go a long way.

I think I actually WANT this to be true now, because I think at the minute we won't make the playoffs, but if we had £3.5m to bring in some extra players, even with Connolly gone, I think we'd have a better chance. Only problem is, we've got about 36 hours until the window shuts, so deals would have to be done very quickly.

Nobody is going to pay 3.5 million for Connolly,it's just not going to happen.

highland fox said:
Nobody is going to pay 3.5 million for Connolly,it's just not going to happen.

Agree with that, people are getting carried away with newspaper figures and are also asuming that CL will get the entire transfer fee to strengthen the squad, highly unlikely.

It doesn't look like Wigan fans are that bothered! This is from the poll on the Wigan OS - as if Robbie keane would go to Wigan :icon_lol:

Wigan OS said:
Who Should Be Duke's Replacement?
Dean Ashton (Norwich City) 19.7%
Fatih Tekke (Trabzonspor - Turkey) 24.2%
Steffen Iversen (Valerenga - Norway) 4.2%
David Connolly (Leicester City) 2.1%
Robbie Keane (Tottenham) 49.8%

webmaster said:
Have you not heard about the striker we've signed from Fulham until the end of the year?

Yes, what a smart little piece of business that was - they wanted to off load a modest slice of wage costs; we needed another non-scoring striker.

Congratulations all the way round.

Fawkeye said:
It doesn't look like Wigan fans are that bothered! This is from the poll on the Wigan OS - as if Robbie keane would go to Wigan :icon_lol:

A more meaningful poll, would be one of spare strikers attitudes towards signing for Wigan.

If Wigan are prepared to pay silly money for a moderate, at best, (by prem. standards) striker - let DC go.

In the bigger picture, it won't significantly affect our position this season - we are not going to reach the play-offs and we won't be relegated, with or without DC.

And that is exactly what Forest thought. We aren't 'too big' to go down! We don't have a God given right to be playing in this league either!

Lets not get complacent about our own abilities here. We have played well enough, but its points on the board and goals in the net that matter at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4595
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566