Connolly to Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rayvon said:
Thats all well and good for us fans that know something about football and the state of our club. But for the fickle un-intelligents, we should already be in the top half of the prem. i just hope the board don't listen to them and give CL a good season or so at least, i don't want to see him sacked this season no matter what, unless we are on the brink of relegation. as long as we improve from last year i'll be content.

Well who knows what will happen re. the board's reaction - I suppose it all depends on whether enough people see signs of improvement. You would expect to see that happen over the course of the season - and hopefully a finish with more points than last year.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
According to the rivals site, a poster from Watford has it on good authority from their club physio that Connolly will move back to Vicarage Road tomorrow, according to this poster its a done deal.

I guess we will be all put out of our misery tomorrow, by 12 midnight we will know whether all these rumours were just that or we may well be waving goodbye to Connors and welcoming 2, 3 or even 4 new signings.

Tomorrow will be an exciting day.

Thats interesting, according to a steward down the walkers on saturday, connolly has been down to Wigan twice last week for talks, and we have an agreement with Hibs to sign Riordan for £500,000 if the Conners transfer goes through! Seeing that Riordan has turned down Cardiff this morning ads fuel to the rumour. I understand this rumour has been kicking round for a while tho. Also, why would we sell him to a championship rival, unless of course he has fallen out with CL and he feels we would be better off without him whether it be a rival club or not?

Personally, I wouldn't be too sad to see Conners go, yes he has 4 goals this season, but they were only in 2 games, one of which was a poor Stoke side, since then wheres he been, apart from the couple he missed with injury. Dont get me wrong, I do like him as a player, but I also feel that if we can get at least £1.5mil for him it would be a great move forward for the club especially if we could get Riordan in! With him and Hughes in the side, this could be the creative edge we are looking for. Not saying this will be the answer and we will storm the league, but i do feel that, looking at the long term, this could be a great move, Riodan being only 22, if he isn't a hit this year, which im sure he would be hes a cracking player, very very talented, theres time on his side, unless the mindless Boo boys get on his back!

I would like to see investment in other areas also, we need a solid LB. Gilbert is OK, and i think will, in the future, be a great asset to the team, but we need someone more accomplished at the moment, which means we can put Maybury back at RB where he is obviously better suited!

Anyway, we will find out today whether this whole tread has been a complete waste of time or not! ;)

Also CL has never once mentioned Riordins name. It seems to have come from the forums not the club?!

fcukcov said:
Also CL has never once mentioned Riordins name. It seems to have come from the forums not the club?!

Thats true, but did he ever mention Hughes or Hamil until they were in the bag :102: He seems to like to keep his cards close to his chest!

According to Sky Sports the deal is close to being done. £2M form Wigan for DC. Leicester to sign Elvis Hammond as a replacement

from BBC sport:

Connolly poised for Wigan switch

_40746112_connolly203.jpg
Connolly has his eyes on a move to Wigan

Wigan are set to sign Leicester striker David Connolly, reports BBC GMR.
The Republic of Ireland international is having talks at the JJB Stadium after the clubs agreed on a valuation for the 28-year-old. Connolly has started the season in fine form and hit a second half hat-trick as the Foxes beat 10-man Stoke at the Walkers Stadium earlier this month. He began his career at Watford before having spells at Feyenoord, Wolves, Milton Keynes Dons and West Ham.

bluefox said:
According to Sky Sports the deal is close to being done. £2M form Wigan for DC. Leicester to sign Elvis Hammond as a replacement

i hope not in a way we need to sign someone who knows how to score

Yorkshire Vixen said:
i hope not in a way we need to sign someone who knows how to score

and why would fulham sell when they already have a loan deal agreed?

he might turn out to be good... that's why they're loaning him

soure

Connolly set for Wigan
by Patrick Goss - created on 31 Aug 2005
NEW STATS CENTRE
Statistics from all over the globe in our latest innovation.

Player profiles:David ConnollyTeam Pages:Leicester CityWigan Athletic
David Connolly will complete his move to Wigan Athletic from Leicester City, for a fee of £2 million.

The former West Ham striker is on the verge of a move back into the top flight, and will be keen to show that he can be a regular goalscorer in The Premiership.

Connolly has scored four times already this season for The Foxes, including a hat-trick against Stoke City.

The 28-year-old started his career at Watford, before a stint in Holland with Feyenoord.

Connolly also played for both Wolves and Wimbledon, before West Ham bought him for £285,000 then sold him on for £500,000 to Leicester last summer.

Connolly may well not be the final new face at Wigan, with manager Paul Jewell confirming that he is 'bullish' about the chances of more signings.

"We've been working over time all over the summer to get new faces here but I suppose now is crunch point," Jewell told the club's official website.

"In many respects we're racing against the clock as much as anything else, but the wheels are in motion on a couple of things and I'm pretty bullish about our chances at this stage.

"However, the transfer market is a funny beast these days so I'm not prepared to divulge anything further until the fat lady has sung."

Michael Brown of Spurs is rumoured to be another player that could make the move to Wigan on Wednesday.

Brown is a peripheral figure at White Hart Lane, following the arrival of Edgar Davids, and could be set to move for a regular starting place.

Leicester will sign Elvis Hammond as a replacement for Connolly.

We have already signed Hammond. :rolleyes:

i noticed ur forum on the net, and i know its a fans thing but i can give ya another point of view about the transfer of DC to latics.

we are guttted about losing Ellington to west brom and in the same week losing graham to sheff wed (not so gutting) we also had Henri Camara out for 6 weeks so we had to play charlton and sunderland with one striker, who currently is unfit, we had to play johansson and bullard as a supporting attacking midfielder to roberts. We are desperate for a striker and if it is to be DC thats fine by me, but hes not what i would have expected. We've had bids for windass, tekke and ashton all declined so we need someone in before the deadline. I think DC is deffo replacable, but one thing that concernes me is that i dont trust he will score enough goals to keep us up, and we really need a goalscorer just like leicester do, if he leaves. I think he is one of the best Championship players but im not sure whether he can take on footys elite. What do you all think?

cheers danny

IF he has enough support behind him he would do a good job for you i think.

he works hard and gets himself about.

whether he is good enough for the Prem rather depends on the service he gets from his teammates though doesnt it?

after all...it's goals that count,and if he is haveing to do ALL the work himself(much like here last season) then he isn't going to get many.

thats very true but im confident our midfield will give a helping hand, roberts is much more of a team player these days and is a much more of a better player, he will do the dirty work and let connolly get on with getting us the goals, Jewel is a sound tactition and im confident he will work him into our plans. In remember when connolly battered us at the JJB in the cup in 2003 by scoring twice, i hope he can take that into the prem with us

danny

I'm amazed a prem club has come in for him. Hope he does well, but I'd be very, very surprised.

wiganlatic said:
i noticed ur forum on the net, and i know its a fans thing but i can give ya another point of view about the transfer of DC to latics.

we are guttted about losing Ellington to west brom and in the same week losing graham to sheff wed (not so gutting) we also had Henri Camara out for 6 weeks so we had to play charlton and sunderland with one striker, who currently is unfit, we had to play johansson and bullard as a supporting attacking midfielder to roberts. We are desperate for a striker and if it is to be DC thats fine by me, but hes not what i would have expected. We've had bids for windass, tekke and ashton all declined so we need someone in before the deadline. I think DC is deffo replacable, but one thing that concernes me is that i dont trust he will score enough goals to keep us up, and we really need a goalscorer just like leicester do, if he leaves. I think he is one of the best Championship players but im not sure whether he can take on footys elite. What do you all think?

cheers danny

To be completely blunt, I think the Championship is his level. I think with the right service in this league he could score a hatful (though he takes one touch too much for me).

I might be wrong but I think the PL might be beyond him. He is 28 and one has to ask oneself, why has he never played for any length of time in the top flight. When he was in the Netherlands he rarely played in the top league there, but in the same league as MDV. :rolleyes:

He is a gamble that might or might not pay off. One thing I would say is that his attitude, which I think is important, has been on the whole very good. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566